Series: Mario Party
Game: Mario Party 2
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: The Blue Skies Yonder
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: cacabish

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

cacabish

Latios212

Awesome job again! This sheet is super clean and accurate. And thanks for submitting a replacement :)

Just one thing I would like you to double check - the consistency of articulations and slurs across different parts. The same rhythmic patterns appear in different places but you have them articulated slightly differently. Fortunately the hypermeter allows you to see these parallels very easily by looking vertically :P For instance:
- The eighth notes in beats 1-3 of m. 4/8/12/16 are sometimes staccato
- The eighth notes between m. 8-9 and slurred but not m. 16
- The slur begins on beat 2 in m. 9 but not 17
etc.

If you made these different due to some subtle differences in articulation in the original, though, that's fine!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cacabish

Quote from: Latios212 on January 18, 2020, 02:17:06 PMAwesome job again! This sheet is super clean and accurate. And thanks for submitting a replacement :)
You're welcome and thanks for the compliment! ;D

I thought long and hard about the articulations and slurs when I was transcribing this piece and the parallel structures of the piece (easily the hardest part about transcribing this piece). I listened to the piece many, many times, at different speeds, and I kept being indecisive about it. Nevertheless, I found I just kept coming back to the same set of articulations based on the subtleties in the song. So, to answer that question: yes, it is due to the subtleties in the song that I heard, especially when you slow the piece down.

However, there are parts where I am unsure if I should just make it reflect a different section, just for sake of uniformity. Like, for instance, the slur in m. 17 starting on beat 3 instead of beat 2. I've listened to that part several times and I hear the notes go slurred starting beat 3, not beat 2. But I ask myself, what major difference does it make if it starts on beat 2 instead of beat 3? Is there something that would change, in a bad way, if that change was made? The part of me that wants the parallel structure says, "no", while the accuracy part of me says, "yes". As such, I'm not sure what kind of call to make in a lot of the areas you pinpointed, so I decided to lean towards accuracy, not uniformity, for this piece (albeit, my accuracy, which may not truly be accurate).

Latios212

Okay then :) glad to see you put a lot of thought into it! Not totally sure I hear the differences in articulations as you do but this is certainly fine for me to approve.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Looks pretty good, just a few minor things to mention:

-The title, subtitle and url/copyright are all slightly horizontally misaligned.
-I think the Fn grace in bar 13 should be an E#.  It certainly looks cleaner that way, avoiding the double accidentals in a row.

Quote from: cacabish on January 18, 2020, 03:15:03 PMI thought long and hard about the articulations and slurs when I was transcribing this piece and the parallel structures of the piece (easily the hardest part about transcribing this piece). I listened to the piece many, many times, at different speeds, and I kept being indecisive about it. Nevertheless, I found I just kept coming back to the same set of articulations based on the subtleties in the song. So, to answer that question: yes, it is due to the subtleties in the song that I heard, especially when you slow the piece down.

However, there are parts where I am unsure if I should just make it reflect a different section, just for sake of uniformity. Like, for instance, the slur in m. 17 starting on beat 3 instead of beat 2. I've listened to that part several times and I hear the notes go slurred starting beat 3, not beat 2. But I ask myself, what major difference does it make if it starts on beat 2 instead of beat 3? Is there something that would change, in a bad way, if that change was made? The part of me that wants the parallel structure says, "no", while the accuracy part of me says, "yes". As such, I'm not sure what kind of call to make in a lot of the areas you pinpointed, so I decided to lean towards accuracy, not uniformity, for this piece (albeit, my accuracy, which may not truly be accurate).

Quote from: Latios212 on January 18, 2020, 04:25:42 PMOkay then :) glad to see you put a lot of thought into it! Not totally sure I hear the differences in articulations as you do but this is certainly fine for me to approve.

I think there's something to be said here about going too in depth with your attention to detail.  For example, if you were listening to recorded music closely enough, the rhythms wouldn't actually be 'normal' rhythms.  Everything would be very slightly out since the performers weren't perfect, but if you transcribed it perfectly it would look awful.  Sometimes I think it's better to think about the intention behind the music rather getting into extremely tiny details in how it actually ended up when finished.  The question I'd ask myself here is, are the differences in articulation intentional?  These phrases are clearly meant to mirror each other and so in my opinion, I don't think they are.  In fact, I think writing them with the articulations different when the actual differences are extremely minor (I'm not sure I'm even picking up on all them myself, but you've probably listened to this track a lot more than me) actually obscures the similarities between the phrases.

tl;dr I think that it'd be better with the articulations made to be uniform.

cacabish

Quote from: Libera on January 18, 2020, 05:21:31 PMI think there's something to be said here about going too in depth with your attention to detail.  For example, if you were listening to recorded music closely enough, the rhythms wouldn't actually be 'normal' rhythms.  Everything would be very slightly out since the performers weren't perfect, but if you transcribed it perfectly it would look awful.  Sometimes I think it's better to think about the intention behind the music rather getting into extremely tiny details in how it actually ended up when finished.  The question I'd ask myself here is, are the differences in articulation intentional?  These phrases are clearly meant to mirror each other and so in my opinion, I don't think they are.  In fact, I think writing them with the articulations different when the actual differences are extremely minor (I'm not sure I'm even picking up on all them myself, but you've probably listened to this track a lot more than me) actually obscures the similarities between the phrases.

tl;dr I think that it'd be better with the articulations made to be uniform.
I certainly feel like there is wisdom in this. Thanks for the advice!

Anyway, I updated the submission files - I straightened out the title, subtitle, and copyright and changed the F natural to an E# (definitely looks better). I also attempted to unify the articulations as best as I could. Let me know if there are any that I missed or if there are other changes necessary (or if the changes I made were detrimental).

Libera

Quote from: cacabish on January 18, 2020, 10:19:30 PMI certainly feel like there is wisdom in this. Thanks for the advice!

Anyway, I updated the submission files - I straightened out the title, subtitle, and copyright and changed the F natural to an E# (definitely looks better). I also attempted to unify the articulations as best as I could. Let me know if there are any that I missed or if there are other changes necessary (or if the changes I made were detrimental).

I'm glad that what I said made some sense!  I think it's much better now in terms of articulations, but I'm still seeing the title, subtitle and copyright info being slightly misaligned horizontally.  Ctrl shift + is the hotkey for aligning centre, if that helps.

cacabish

Quote from: Libera on January 20, 2020, 02:53:13 PMCtrl shift + is the hotkey for aligning centre, if that helps.
Regrettably, it doesn't help since I'm using Finale Notepad and that shortcut doesn't work. But, (hopefully) nothing a little math can't fix!

I'm corrected the files yet again and I've checked the alignment; it should now be centered with respect to the margins. If not... :(

Libera

Oh I didn't realise.  I'd have done it for you if I knew it'd be such a pain.  Anyway, it looks fixed now!

Accepting...

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot