Food/Cooking Update

Started by Libera, January 26, 2020, 01:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2020, 03:54:33 PMReally great work. Just a few small things from me:
- This could look definitely a little nicer if you reduced the space between LH/RH to add more space between systems, particularly on page 2
- The "tap pen/pencil" marking might make a bit more sense at m. 38 where there are actually notes on the bottom staff. Maybe...
- Maybe a mf dynamic for the percussion? (i.e. not staying at f for the rest of the song)
- Done
- I think I'd like to keep them where they are since that's when the percussion section starts. The directions may also be harder to follow if they're on different systems.
- Done (made the final part forte for some extra contrast also).

Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2020, 03:54:33 PMLooks awesome. I'd just suggest adjusting the slurs in m. 20 and 28 a bit since they look a bit awkward sloping down from the notehead to the note stem even though the notes are ascending.
That may look weird, I agree, but having the slurs go upward on the 2nd layer also looks weird. I made it so every slur goes from stem to stem and ends right on top of each staccato mark, so everything is consistent between layers.

Thanks for the feedback!

After discussing with Latios, we've decided to add some of Sebastian's sheets to the pile - pretty simple/short ones. Here's my first look at them (links are to the original unedited files). Note that these are all checks for accuracy and playability; I'm leaving the original arrangement decisions intact.

Banjo-Tooie - Honey B's Hive
- http to https
- Moved copyright/url info to be within the margins.
- Other than that, pretty good.

Mario Kart Wii - Maple Treeway
- Added slurs to grace notes that were missing (the sheet was inconsistent in this regard).
- Adjusted beaming in the RH in m4, 8, 11, etc. that were incorrect bc of the way Finale handles grace notes.
- m15-18: Moved the crescendo marking so it's not in the way of anything.
- m21, 25, 33 RH beat 3: Changed rhythm to 16th rest - dotted 8th note and added grace note. Added staccatos to these notes. Added the final note in the line to beat 1 of m22, and used a dashed line for m34.
- I'm not really a fan of staccatos on dotted notes, but I think it helps make the sheet more clear and easy to read in this particular case.
- The chords in the 2nd part of the song (LH) sound kind of odd since the bass note isn't the bottom note most of the time. The chords are correct though.
- Moved the crescendo in m37 so it isn't too close to anything.
- m38-40 RH: Quarter note Eb on beat 3 of m38 should be 2 8th notes, same for beat 3 of m39 (one octave lower). The tie between 39-40 should not be there (notes are rearticulated).
- Made the system spacing more even throughout.
- http to https
Bassline changes:
- m3, 5, 7, 9 LH beat 3.5, 4.5: Bb to Cb, low Bb to Cb.
- m6 LH beat 3.5: Bb moved 1 octave higher.
- m10 LH beat 3.5: Bb to Eb, 2 Bbs on beat 4 to quarter note D.
- m11, 15 LH beat 3.5: Cn to Cb.
- m12, 16 LH beat 4.5: Dn to Db.
- m13, 17 LH beat 3: Removed tie so C rearticulates (m13 only). Moved Bbs on beat 3.5 and 4.5 one octave higher. Made Bb on beat 4 staccato.
- m27 LH  beat 4.5: A to B.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Cooking With Zess T.
- m10-15: Normally the LH dynamics should be below the staff, but in this case I think it's actually more readable/understandable here since the LH is in kind of a weird range. Treble clef definitely works better in this section, but because of that, the notes are somewhat low in relation to the staff. I think it's fine keeping it like it is (though I did adjust some of the mf markings since they were a bit too close to the notes).
- Adjusted the slur between m17-18 so it's one of those fancy S slurs instead of going through the entire system and getting in the way of clefs/notes/etc.
- http to https

All the changes have been made and all the files are in the folder.

I have a new sheet as well: Wario Land: Shake It! - "Large Fry Cook-Off" (added to folder)

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2020, 03:54:33 PM- Beats 1.5 and 3.5 in the original sound just like the other notes to me, not sure why you have them notated like that?
Cause it kinda sounds to me like there's an echo note played on those beats.

McDucky

Quote from: Yug_Guy on January 30, 2020, 08:29:18 PMCause it kinda sounds to me like there's an echo note played on those beats.
Just sounds like a regular ol' note to me too.

Libera

I've added two sheets to the dropbox folder.

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2020, 12:19:32 PMHungry March: [Musx] [Pdf] [Midi] [Mus]
'Agh! Won goph in mah mouph! Blech! Ptooey!': [Musx] [Pdf] [Midi] [Mus]

Th3Gavst3r

[GCN] Animal Crossing

K.K. Gumbo
[musx]

[MUL] Monster Hunter

BBQ Spit
[musx]

McDucky

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on January 31, 2020, 09:02:20 PM[MUL] Monster Hunter
I actually started on this one, but thankfully I saw this before I could dedicate a significant amount of time to it  ;D
Looks (and sounds) good, but are you sure about the double sharp on measure 2 beat 2?

Static

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on February 01, 2020, 12:54:12 PMHere's another sheet: Pac-Man - Start Music
(Title from here)

I think that you really ought to merge this with the Intermission theme. The songs are short enough for them to fit onto one page.

Also, I'm hearing the "Game Start" theme (as it should be called,) as C major. This applies to most incarnations of the theme, including the original arcade version and early ports on the NES and Game Boy.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Dreaming of Food - Levi
Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2020, 03:54:33 PMI think I'm hearing a G instead of a C in the last chord. Other than that, looks great.
Quote from: LeviR.star on January 29, 2020, 11:28:12 PMI went back and listened, and it turns out there is indeed a G4 in that last chord. Deleted the C and put a G in between that E-flat - B-flat perfect fifth. Updated the file, too.
Cool. Approved!

Quote from: Static on January 30, 2020, 08:03:37 PMChoco Island
- Done
- I think I'd like to keep them where they are since that's when the percussion section starts. The directions may also be harder to follow if they're on different systems.
- Done (made the final part forte for some extra contrast also).

Let's Go Down the Wine River
That may look weird, I agree, but having the slurs go upward on the 2nd layer also looks weird. I made it so every slur goes from stem to stem and ends right on top of each staccato mark, so everything is consistent between layers.

Thanks for the feedback!
All sounds and looks good for these two!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Sushi-Go-Round - Yug Guy
Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2020, 03:54:33 PM- Beats 1.5 and 3.5 in the original sound just like the other notes to me, not sure why you have them notated like that?
Quote from: Yug_Guy on January 30, 2020, 08:29:18 PMCause it kinda sounds to me like there's an echo note played on those beats.
Quote from: McDucky on January 31, 2020, 12:31:38 PMJust sounds like a regular ol' note to me too.
Yeah, I agree with McDucky... still hearing just normal melody notes.

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 26, 2020, 04:31:45 PM- [GB] The Final Fantasy Legend - "Eat the Meat"
Nothing to add here. Well done! :P

BBQ Spit
[musx]

Quote from: McDucky on February 01, 2020, 04:13:11 AMI actually started on this one, but thankfully I saw this before I could dedicate a significant amount of time to it  ;D
Looks (and sounds) good, but are you sure about the double sharp on measure 2 beat 2?
Yeah, I think this would be better as a G natural. A bit odd because of the G# grace notes but I think it's clearer what exactly is happening with Gn.
Also, in m. 3 you have an A#-Bb and Fx-Gn grace notes. I assume you want the chromatic neighboring tones (A and F#) instead of the same note spelled differently.
Other than that, yes, looks great!

Hungry March - Libera
- Measure 1 beat 3 (RH) needs to be adjusted visually a bit
- I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard the F-G on beats 3.5-4 of m. 6 as part of the melody (top layer).
- I think the chords in the last couple measures need to be inverted up once (similar to the voicing at the beginning)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Latios212 on February 01, 2020, 02:12:05 PMYeah, I think this would be better as a G natural. A bit odd because of the G# grace notes but I think it's clearer what exactly is happening with Gn.
Also, in m. 3 you have an A#-Bb and Fx-Gn grace notes. I assume you want the chromatic neighboring tones (A and F#) instead of the same note spelled differently.

Quote from: McDucky on February 01, 2020, 04:13:11 AMLooks (and sounds) good, but are you sure about the double sharp on measure 2 beat 2?
I agree with both of you and fixed the neighboring tones :D

BBQ Spit
[musx]

Latios212

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on February 01, 2020, 04:32:16 PMI agree with both of you and fixed the neighboring tones :D
Cool, approved :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on February 01, 2020, 02:12:05 PMHungry March - Libera
- Measure 1 beat 3 (RH) needs to be adjusted visually a bit
- I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard the F-G on beats 3.5-4 of m. 6 as part of the melody (top layer).
- I think the chords in the last couple measures need to be inverted up once (similar to the voicing at the beginning)

-Yep, should be fixed now thanks to your assistance.
-Hmm.  This was also how I originally heard it, but I'm reasonably confident that it isn't actually.  The C is much louder than the preceding F and G and the timbre of the E sounds really similar to the F and G to me.  It also makes that little F G E F into a mini The Edge of Dawn quotation, which seems about right for this OST.
-Sure, done.

Thanks for checking!

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on February 01, 2020, 02:12:05 PMSushi-Go-Round - Yug Guy
Yeah, I agree with McDucky... still hearing just normal melody notes.
I suppose that puts me in the minority then. Updated with quarter notes.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on January 26, 2020, 02:42:30 PMPokémon Stadium [N64]
"Sushi-Go-Round"MUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Latios212

Quote from: Yug_Guy on February 01, 2020, 09:11:43 PMI suppose that puts me in the minority then. Updated with quarter notes.
I think you misunderstood - I'm saying they're regular eighth notes.

Quote from: Libera on February 01, 2020, 06:18:45 PM-Yep, should be fixed now thanks to your assistance.
-Hmm.  This was also how I originally heard it, but I'm reasonably confident that it isn't actually.  The C is much louder than the preceding F and G and the timbre of the E sounds really similar to the F and G to me.  It also makes that little F G E F into a mini The Edge of Dawn quotation, which seems about right for this OST.
-Sure, done.

Thanks for checking!
Alright, I'm okay with that. Approved!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle