News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[NDS] Kirby: Canvas Curse - "Drawcia Sorceress" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, February 04, 2020, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on March 17, 2020, 04:51:40 PM- m. 4 you could easily include the D# on beat 4 using the LH if you want.
Quote from: LeviR.star on March 21, 2020, 02:37:18 PMWith the LH being more active in the similar m. 36, and too busy to hit the D4, I opted out of including it altogether. Thoughts? Files are updated, btw.
Yep! - I called out 4 and not 36 for that reason :P It's super easy to play in 4 but in 36 it's troublesome enough to not need to bother.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

After some discussion I was asked to post here about this arrangement (regarding the time signature), so here I am to post...

I personally hear this in 3/4 with syncopated rhythms. But then again I also hear this as 3/4 and this as 6/8, when I hear most people argue the opposite (and most other sheets are the opposite). Don't even get me started on this one (12/8 btw).

I'm fine with leaving the first section in 6/8, but I think that the heavy percussive section starting at m35 would probably be better written in 3/4. It lines up better with the accents and everything. Of course that can just be explained as syncopation in 6/8... Well, it's up to you. My point is that these things are almost never completely clear in a song like this, there are many reasons to argue either way (rhythms, melodic contour, groove, style, even harmony sometimes).

Anyway, the arrangement looks great! I don't really have much else to say. Just address Latios's post above and this will be all set.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on April 06, 2020, 01:35:08 PMI personally hear this in 3/4 with syncopated rhythms. But then again I also hear this as 3/4 and this as 6/8, when I hear most people argue the opposite (and most other sheets are the opposite).

wait how do people hear that Octopath one as something other than 6/8

EDIT: I guess it sounds like 3/4 in the intro but once the horn comes in I default to 6/8
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Looks like the updaters are split on this one.

I'm thinking 6/8. Does this decision come down to me?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on April 10, 2020, 01:05:46 PMLooks like the updaters are split on this one.

I'm not sure we are?  I remember this being brought up in a conversation we (the updaters) were having and all of us agreed (for once) on a simple time signature.  Although I haven't posted in here, my opinion after listening to it a few times was that although its ambiguous until the percussion comes in, after that I always immediately snap to thinking in 3/4 even if I'm trying to think in 6/8.  Latios' suggestion of 6/4 wasn't a bad one because it allows you make the ambiguity of stresses of the quavers clearer (although you could also just beam all of them together in 3/4 also).

Quote from: LeviR.star on February 18, 2020, 08:19:38 AMIf I'm being honest, I don't see any reason to beam them like 6/8 if the whole song's going to be in simple meter. That'd be way too confusing for a performer to read, and a little pointless.

Just to say that beaming in 6/8 in a 3/4 time signature is not all that uncommon and comes up every now and again.  Obviously it's up to you to do that (personally I'd be more in favour of beaming them in sets of six like I said above).

mastersuperfan

I don't think we're split... all four of us heard it in 3/4.

I continue to support the "use 3/4 but beam in 6/8 where appropriate" approach and/or Libera's suggestion of beaming them all together.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

To keep things as consistent as possible, I've decided to go with Libera's idea of beaming them all together. How does that look?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Only other thing I have to say is that you might want to change the rests in m32 to a dotted quarter rest to match the beaming.

(You could also move the tempo marking in m35 down a bit so it's closer to the target staff than the staff above.)

LeviR.star

Before I do that, should I beam these notes together?

You cannot view this attachment.

mastersuperfan

Hmm, I think they're fine as is. Even though it's beamed differently from the RH, the LH has been strictly following the 3/4 beats this whole section, so keeping them that way for the last measure makes the most sense to me.

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 16, 2020, 09:13:38 PMHmm, I think they're fine as is. Even though it's beamed differently from the RH, the LH has been strictly following the 3/4 beats this whole section, so keeping them that way for the last measure makes the most sense to me.

Works for me.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 15, 2020, 06:50:59 PMOnly other thing I have to say is that you might want to change the rests in m32 to a dotted quarter rest to match the beaming.

Did that, along with the ones in m. 24.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 15, 2020, 06:50:59 PM(You could also move the tempo marking in m35 down a bit so it's closer to the target staff than the staff above.)

I think I'll keep that where it is; I'm sure it gets the point across and I don't want it too close to the RH stems.

Files ready!

mastersuperfan

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by mastersuperfan.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot