Series: Super Mario
Game: New Super Mario Bros.
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Overworld (Vs. Mode)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Some notes on this one:
- I didn't find an official soundtrack listing after a bit of searching, so I went with "Overworld (Vs. Mode)" (analogous to the "Overworld" theme that's also in submissions right now). If that's okay with other people I'll update the title on site accordingly, else let me know if you think it should be something different.
- I originally started arranging this with a simple ragtime LH part - you can see here. What I have in the submission is more reflective of the rhythms in the original, though it is significantly harder to play.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

oh god I clicked on the original sheet augh my eyes why

- Regarding composer text, was there ever any rule about using or not using the Oxford comma around here? I'm sure it doesn't matter but I'm always a strong advocate for using it...
- Might be nice to have (half note = 132) in parentheses at the end of the tempo marking since lots of metronomes don't go as high as 264.
- You could consider adding slurs to the trumpet part in places like m5/12/13/16 where there are consecutive eighth notes, to distinguish it from the more bouncy, synth-y melody in the next section.
- The G on beat 4 of m32 RH should probably have a staccato since it's part of the chord that the LH is playing (at least, I think that's where you got it from).
- I don't think the glissando at the end of m46 LH fits the style all that well. I think the original bassline would be better approximated with a two swung eighth notes, G followed by A. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Good stuff.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

AmpharosAndy

innit

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 30, 2020, 03:59:37 PMoh god I clicked on the original sheet augh my eyes why

- Regarding composer text, was there ever any rule about using or not using the Oxford comma around here? I'm sure it doesn't matter but I'm always a strong advocate for using it...
- Might be nice to have (half note = 132) in parentheses at the end of the tempo marking since lots of metronomes don't go as high as 264.
- You could consider adding slurs to the trumpet part in places like m5/12/13/16 where there are consecutive eighth notes, to distinguish it from the more bouncy, synth-y melody in the next section.
- The G on beat 4 of m32 RH should probably have a staccato since it's part of the chord that the LH is playing (at least, I think that's where you got it from).
- I don't think the glissando at the end of m46 LH fits the style all that well. I think the original bassline would be better approximated with a two swung eighth notes, G followed by A. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Good stuff.
- Don't think there was a hard rule, but I agree with its usage and I'm adding it in now
- Yup, sounds good
- Sure, can do
- Yeah that's right, will add
- Great idea, totally agree.

Files updated with the changes, thanks for checking! (Also updated the submission title since no one said anything about it)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Looks great! Only other thing is that the sharp in m13 is really close to the slur (it's actually not touching by a matter of pixels, but it still bothers me).

also maybe you could drag the start of that 8va in m44 a tiny bit more to the left
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Greg

damn that's a hit of nostalgia

I just happened to notice one thing: I think the first RH G in m.28 should be a G#. Otherwise this sounds super clean.

Latios212

Quote from: Greg on April 08, 2020, 09:26:36 PMdamn that's a hit of nostalgia
New Super Mario Bros ain't so new anymore xD I had a lot of fun playing this with friends back in the day hehe

Yes, you're right that should be a G#! Thanks, I've updated the sheet :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Some things:

-I think there's an F missing on beat 1 and maybe also 4 of bar 41.  You could replace the lower E with it to avoid the semitone clash if you wanted.
-The G A quavers on the final beat at the end sound a bit like triplet G A B to me, but it's a little quiet at the end so kind of hard to tell.
-The dyad harmony stuff is generally good but in 21-28 it sounds a bit off to me.  As in it doesn't sound like it's outlining the same sort of harmony that I'm hearing in the original.  Like in 21-22 I'm hearing more of a Dm9 sort of thing with the lighter harmony part sounding like it's playing Es and Cs rather than Ds and Fs.  Maybe that section would be worth having another look at.

Nice stuff anyway.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on April 15, 2020, 04:50:30 PM-I think there's an F missing on beat 1 and maybe also 4 of bar 41.  You could replace the lower E with it to avoid the semitone clash if you wanted.
I'll replace the first one with the F, it does sound better that way. I left beat 4 as is because that's a little tricky to play and there are already harmonies in the surrounding octaves.

Quote from: Libera on April 15, 2020, 04:50:30 PM-The G A quavers on the final beat at the end sound a bit like triplet G A B to me, but it's a little quiet at the end so kind of hard to tell.
Seems to me like a pitch bend in the original - what I wrote there was a suggestion by MSF that I think best simulates it while capturing the swing feel. A triplet feels a bit too "straight" there.

Quote from: Libera on April 15, 2020, 04:50:30 PMSome things:

-I think there's an F missing on beat 1 and maybe also 4 of bar 41.  You could replace the lower E with it to avoid the semitone clash if you wanted.
-The dyad harmony stuff is generally good but in 21-28 it sounds a bit off to me.  As in it doesn't sound like it's outlining the same sort of harmony that I'm hearing in the original.  Like in 21-22 I'm hearing more of a Dm9 sort of thing with the lighter harmony part sounding like it's playing Es and Cs rather than Ds and Fs.  Maybe that section would be worth having another look at.
Ah yeah I think you're right, I wrote that in for m. 23 and the first half of 24 (which changes hence the different dyad on beat 4) but listening again yeah I think 21-22 should be like that too. I've updated that; let me know if there was anything else that stuck out as weird there. I gave it a quick look but the rest of the section looked okay to me.

Files updated, thanks for the help!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

All looks good to me.  I think it was just 21-22 that were throwing me off for the rest of that section, it sounds good now.

Zeta