Game: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Stormy Saxophone 2 - KOF '96
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Maelstrom

why does the crash cymbal on that recording sound soooo baaaad. They had so much space on those smash carts. Why couldn't the have just used a higher bitrate for the audio.

Aside from that I can't find anything else to complain about. Approved.

mastersuperfan

Sax.

- Extra mf in m13 leftover from copy/paste.
- Except for beat 3.25 in m20/m22, the notes in m19-22 sound short to me, like the rhythm you wrote in m1-3.
- In m24/28 RH, the second grace note sounds like a G instead of an F# to me... although I guess having a G grace note there might be a bit awkward since the held note is G.
- Maybe a courtesy Fn in m26 RH?
- Sounds like there are harmonies under the RH melody note at the end of m29, just like the notes in m30.
- First slur in m34 is touching the sharp.
- In m38 RH, sounds to me like there should be a sixteenth rest on beat 3 instead of a tied note.
- The length of the first note in m40 sounds like the same length as in m35-36 and m43-44. I could see it being either a quarter or a dotted quarter, but I would be consistent with between all of those measures.
- Above point also applies to m64.
- Perhaps add a grace note on second note of m44 RH?
- In m58 RH, I would use a bracket to explicitly indicate which notes belong to the triplet.
- For consistency, the grace note in m60 RH should be an eighth note instead of a sixteenth.
- In m61 RH, grace note sharp is clashing with the sixteenth note before it.
- m62 RH beat 2 should have Bb instead of a quarter rest—unless that was omitted for playability, but the whole measure still seems incredibly difficult anyway.
- m63 RH, it sounds like the A might be re-articulated on beat 2.75? Not sure.
- For grace notes that connect to chords, you might want to consider adjusting the slurs so that they end on the top note of the chord, or on the beam of the chord whenever possible. It might look a bit weird, but I've heard that slurs should follow the upward contour of the grace note to the principal note. It's up to you.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 21, 2020, 01:12:30 PMwhy does the crash cymbal on that recording sound soooo baaaad. They had so much space on those smash carts. Why couldn't the have just used a higher bitrate for the audio.
Yeah, it's pretty disappointing... At least the arrangement itself is pretty cool.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 29, 2020, 11:15:23 PMSax.

- Extra mf in m13 leftover from copy/paste.
- Except for beat 3.25 in m20/m22, the notes in m19-22 sound short to me, like the rhythm you wrote in m1-3.
- In m24/28 RH, the second grace note sounds like a G instead of an F# to me... although I guess having a G grace note there might be a bit awkward since the held note is G.
- Maybe a courtesy Fn in m26 RH?
- Sounds like there are harmonies under the RH melody note at the end of m29, just like the notes in m30.
- First slur in m34 is touching the sharp.
- In m38 RH, sounds to me like there should be a sixteenth rest on beat 3 instead of a tied note.
- The length of the first note in m40 sounds like the same length as in m35-36 and m43-44. I could see it being either a quarter or a dotted quarter, but I would be consistent with between all of those measures.
- Above point also applies to m64.
- Perhaps add a grace note on second note of m44 RH?
- In m58 RH, I would use a bracket to explicitly indicate which notes belong to the triplet.
- For consistency, the grace note in m60 RH should be an eighth note instead of a sixteenth.
- In m61 RH, grace note sharp is clashing with the sixteenth note before it.
- m62 RH beat 2 should have Bb instead of a quarter rest—unless that was omitted for playability, but the whole measure still seems incredibly difficult anyway.
- m63 RH, it sounds like the A might be re-articulated on beat 2.75? Not sure.
- For grace notes that connect to chords, you might want to consider adjusting the slurs so that they end on the top note of the chord, or on the beam of the chord whenever possible. It might look a bit weird, but I've heard that slurs should follow the upward contour of the grace note to the principal note. It's up to you.
Wow, a lot to unpack here lol
- Fixed.
- I hear this part as being just a bit longer and not as punchy as in m1-3 (which coincidentally matches with the original...).
- That would be why I made it an F#, although I also think it sounds like an F#.
- Added.
- Done.
- Fixed.
- It sounds tied to me.
- The notes in m40, 36, and 44 should all be held for the full dotted quarter length, but there is a noticable breath (well simulated since it's a sax sample...) in m35 and 43. I think that makes sense considering the melody and phrase lengths and all that.
- Same for m64.
- I do not hear a distinct grace note for this part, but the note does scoop up. I think leaving it as a single note sounds closer to the original when played on a piano.
- I split the beam instead.
- Oh, nice catch.
- Fixed.
- For some reason I just forgot to add the Bb... I also removed the lower octave so there's no sudden difficulty spike.
- Maybe in the guitar, but by this point I switched to just the sax melody, so I'd rather just leave it as is.
- Hm, I always thought it was common practice to have the slur go to the notehead, so that's usually what I try to do. I think it looks nicer how it is anyway. I think if I was putting in phrase markings, I might be more inclined to agree, but I don't think it's that important for grace notes.

I think I addressed everything.

mastersuperfan

I think "Arranged by Noriyuki Iwadare" is supposed to be bolded instead of italicized? That was what I did for my Ace Attorney sheets and I'm pretty sure I checked for whatever was the precedent, though I'm not sure if that's a hard rule anywhere. Also, I think it looks a bit weird for "Piano" to be capitalized.

I actually thought your subtitle/composer/arranger text was actually greater than 12pt until I checked and realized that it's not. It seems like you used the resize tool to scale down only the staves+notes (whereas I always scale down the whole page). I'm not sure if there's a rule against this per se, but when the systems are scaled down so much (as in this sheet), it looks... rather strange for the subtitle/composer/arranger text to be so much larger than the tempo marking.

Only other thing is that the sharp is touching the slur in m42 (I missed that one the first time around).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 06, 2020, 08:19:23 PMI think "Arranged by Noriyuki Iwadare" is supposed to be bolded instead of italicized? That was what I did for my Ace Attorney sheets and I'm pretty sure I checked for whatever was the precedent, though I'm not sure if that's a hard rule anywhere. Also, I think it looks a bit weird for "Piano" to be capitalized.
Oh huh, I've always italicized the arranger since that's what I've seen elsewhere here, like in some of the KEY sheets for example, and the other Smash sheets. I don't think there's a set rule right now either, but I think using bold for composers and italicized for arrangers is a good distinction. For "Piano", I forgot where I learned that from, either someone told me or I saw it on another sheet, but either way I kinda agree, so I made it lowercase.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 06, 2020, 08:19:23 PMI actually thought your subtitle/composer/arranger text was actually greater than 12pt until I checked and realized that it's not. It seems like you used the resize tool to scale down only the staves+notes (whereas I always scale down the whole page). I'm not sure if there's a rule against this per se, but when the systems are scaled down so much (as in this sheet), it looks... rather strange for the subtitle/composer/arranger text to be so much larger than the tempo marking.
This is why I used to make the other text larger on some of my older sheets... But then some people said it was too large so I kept it small lol. I've always shrunk just the music just because I liked how it looked, with the title text being larger. I've made the text larger now.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 06, 2020, 08:19:23 PMOnly other thing is that the sharp is touching the slur in m42 (I missed that one the first time around).
Fixed. (Yes I know it doesn't go to the notehead now and I explained earlier that I prefer it to do that, but it looks nicer how it is now...)

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 06, 2020, 08:19:23 PMI think "Arranged by Noriyuki Iwadare" is supposed to be bolded instead of italicized? That was what I did for my Ace Attorney sheets and I'm pretty sure I checked for whatever was the precedent, though I'm not sure if that's a hard rule anywhere. Also, I think it looks a bit weird for "Piano" to be capitalized.

Quote from: Static on April 20, 2020, 05:59:26 PMOh huh, I've always italicized the arranger since that's what I've seen elsewhere here, like in some of the KEY sheets for example, and the other Smash sheets. I don't think there's a set rule right now either, but I think using bold for composers and italicized for arrangers is a good distinction. For "Piano", I forgot where I learned that from, either someone told me or I saw it on another sheet, but either way I kinda agree, so I made it lowercase.

If it means anything, the game's arranger on my sheets (like my Splatterhouse "Ending" sheet) is something I set to bold, so that it leaves enough room for the NSM arranger (and any future sheet editors) to be italicized. Bold is just something I use to signify the official staff's credits.

That said, I like to capitalize the "p" on "piano"; IMO not doing that kinda throws off the balance of everything --

You cannot view this attachment.

-- and I think it's fine if Static wants to keep it uppercase. But hey, that's just my two cents. If this (among other minor things) is something that's being debated, the sheet formatting topic really ought to be updated for the sake of old and new arrangers.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on April 20, 2020, 05:59:26 PMOh huh, I've always italicized the arranger since that's what I've seen elsewhere here, like in some of the KEY sheets for example, and the other Smash sheets. I don't think there's a set rule right now either, but I think using bold for composers and italicized for arrangers is a good distinction.
Quote from: LeviR.star on April 20, 2020, 06:25:22 PMIf it means anything, the game's arranger on my sheets (like my Splatterhouse "Ending" sheet) is something I set to bold, so that it leaves enough room for the NSM arranger (and any future sheet editors) to be italicized. Bold is just something I use to signify the official staff's credits.

^^ Yeah, that's why I think the "Arranged by Noriyuki Iwadare" should be bolded, since bolding (in my eyes) should indicate what was done by the game's staff, while the italicization indicates what we here on NSM did.

Quote from: Static on April 20, 2020, 05:59:26 PMThis is why I used to make the other text larger on some of my older sheets... But then some people said it was too large so I kept it small lol. I've always shrunk just the music just because I liked how it looked, with the title text being larger. I've made the text larger now.

...Wait, you made the text larger?

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 21, 2020, 04:39:52 PM^^ Yeah, that's why I think the "Arranged by Noriyuki Iwadare" should be bolded, since bolding (in my eyes) should indicate what was done by the game's staff, while the italicization indicates what we here on NSM did.
I understand the reasoning but I personally prefer to separate by composer and arranger, even if there are multiple composers and/or arrangers. That's how I and a few others have done it in the past, but the other way is fine too. I don't think it's really set in stone, so I think it's fine to let individual arrangers decide. Regarding the Piano capitalization, I think that too is fine either way, but yeah it would be helpful to have an updated set of guidelines.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 21, 2020, 04:39:52 PM...Wait, you made the text larger?
The tempo and technique/style text is larger, not the title and composer info.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on April 21, 2020, 05:04:15 PMI understand the reasoning but I personally prefer to separate by composer and arranger, even if there are multiple composers and/or arrangers. That's how I and a few others have done it in the past, but the other way is fine too. I don't think it's really set in stone, so I think it's fine to let individual arrangers decide.
I think the official arranger should be bolded - that way you have a clear divide between official and unofficial work. In any case, don't want to hold this submission up over it as we already have it both ways on site but we can open up a separate topic in the Feedback board to discuss further.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Hey guess what I've got more but these should be the last things

- The way you adjusted the slurs in m34/42 is visually inconsistent with the slur in m66 (and, to a lesser extent, the slurs in m65/69). I'd choose to flip the m34/42/66 slurs all the same way, either up or down.
- m69 RH doesn't sound like it should have a grace note.
- Beat 1 of m17 RH sounds to me like an A (which means that m16 beat 4.5 should be written as a G#). I do hear a G in m17, but I think that belongs to a different voice than the one in the second half of m16. Thoughts?

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 21, 2020, 05:33:01 PM- The way you adjusted the slurs in m34/42 is visually inconsistent with the slur in m66 (and, to a lesser extent, the slurs in m65/69). I'd choose to flip the m34/42/66 slurs all the same way, either up or down.
Quote from: Static on April 20, 2020, 05:59:26 PMFixed. (Yes I know it doesn't go to the notehead now and I explained earlier that I prefer it to do that, but it looks nicer how it is now...)
But whatever I'll change it back anyway. Edit: I think I misread what you said a bit; I changed my mind and I'm fine with letting all the slurs like that go to the notehead just for consistency across the sheet.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 21, 2020, 05:33:01 PM- m69 RH doesn't sound like it should have a grace note.
It has been removed.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 21, 2020, 05:33:01 PM- Beat 1 of m17 RH sounds to me like an A (which means that m16 beat 4.5 should be written as a G#). I do hear a G in m17, but I think that belongs to a different voice than the one in the second half of m16. Thoughts?
It definitely sounds like a G in the same voice that is in beats 3-4 of m16. There are two voices playing, piano and some kind of synth, the piano is what I transcribed. The synth is the same as the piano until beat 1 in m17, where it goes to an E instead. I don't hear the A at all in either of those two parts. I added the E though, I think it sounds nice.

Another thing I changed was the drum/LH pattern, which was inaccurate before. I changed the rhythms a bit so it would match the feel of the original better and also changed the m39 section to be like the m63 section (instead of like m31). I also added Gs to m47 and 71 beat 1.75, I don't know why I didn't add them before.

mastersuperfan

Zeta