News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

What instrument is this?

Started by 607, April 16, 2020, 03:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, it's me again!

This might be a topic I'll reuse... I'm trying to do a transcription of this song, as a fun challenge and so I can listen to it in better quality (like most GBA soundtracks, the samples are noticeably compressed)
However I got stuck right at the beginning, as I can't figure out what the instrument used from the beginning is. :P There's a shaker, but I'm not sure about the tom-like sound. I'm using MuseScore 3 and the only option seemed to be the Roto-Toms, but they are pitched in a different way, and don't sound quite right either (I did succesfully use them for this theme from another game, but that sample does sound quite different, and is not used as the main melodic component.
I don't know what the percussion is entering the song from 5 seconds onward either. :P It sounds like wood blocks to me, but I don't think wood blocks are available in so many pitches. Then again, that doesn't mean the composer can't have used a woodblock sample anyway, of course. But you might be able to tell me otherwise. :)
Thanks for your attention!