Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Quiet Forest
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

The MIDI does not revert to Tempo I on the repeat, but otherwise the playback is fine.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Very relaxing...
  • m13-24: There's a few spots where more than one chime is playing at once, I'm guessing you didn't include that to have a lighter texture in that area? It's up to you but I figured I'd ask.
  • m25: It sounds more like it speeds up in m25, then settles at q=138 at m26.
  • m35: I'd probably put a decrescendo here.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on April 25, 2020, 08:18:17 PMm13-24: There's a few spots where more than one chime is playing at once, I'm guessing you didn't include that to have a lighter texture in that area? It's up to you but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for asking; I actually didn't include them because I was having trouble transcribing them, what with the arpeggiating voice in the LH playing so closely and all. Could you help me out with that part?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Sure:
  • m15, 21: C under the A on beat 2, D above the C on beat 3.
  • m18: D under the B on beat 2, E above the D on beat 3.
  • m24: I actually here this one completely differently; B (above staff), D (in staff), E (in staff), A (above staff). All single notes.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on April 25, 2020, 08:18:17 PM- m25: It sounds more like it speeds up in m25, then settles at q=138 at m26.
- m35: I'd probably put a decrescendo here.

- yea, I can write that in
- you asked for it, you got it. Gonna have to make it an expression, though, so it can fit

Quote from: Static on May 03, 2020, 06:07:01 PM- m15, 21: C under the A on beat 2, D above the C on beat 3.
- m18: D under the B on beat 2, E above the D on beat 3.
- m24: I actually here this one completely differently; B (above staff), D (in staff), E (in staff), A (above staff). All single notes.

That's pretty much along the lines of what I had written before. As long as you're sure it's not part of the LH, I'll write it in.

New files are up!

Static

Quote from: Static on April 25, 2020, 08:18:17 PM
  • m25: It sounds more like it speeds up in m25, then settles at q=138 at m26.
I think you misread this a bit. The accel should be in m25 itself. Everything else looks good!

mastersuperfan

- In the RH, there's also a D below the A on m15/21 beat 4 and an E below the B on m18 beat 4.
- You could add a molto rit. to the last measure (i.e. "dim e molto rit.") to emphasize the fact that it slows down significantly in the last measure, much more than the poco rit. in the previous four measures.
- Was there originally a rit. instead of an accel. in m24? It sounds like it speeds up slightly in the first half of m24, slows down in the second of m24, and picks back up again near the end of m25. All of this would be too intricate to notate completely on the sheet, but to me, the overall impression is a slowing down before the tempo picks up, so stylistically I think a "rit." is more fitting, even if there's a slight speed-up at the beginning of m25. It's your preference.
- Maybe swap the hands in m5-6 and m11-12? It's nice to have a consistent LH part, but with the voices crossing, writing it this way might do more harm than good if it's simply easier to have the RH take over the arpeggios. It might be worth playtesting to figure out whether it's more comfortable to play the arpeggios with the LH or the RH. If you do swap the hands, you could cross-beam the G at the end of m6 down into the LH, and introduce the B pickup in the RH in a second layer. You could also have dotted lines showing which voices are continuous with one another.
- I know I say to drag the start of the 8va to the left all the time but I kinda feel like the first 8va in m1 starts slightly too far to the left?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 10, 2020, 08:19:30 PM- Maybe swap the hands in m5-6 and m11-12? It's nice to have a consistent LH part, but with the voices crossing, writing it this way might do more harm than good if it's simply easier to have the RH take over the arpeggios. It might be worth playtesting to figure out whether it's more comfortable to play the arpeggios with the LH or the RH. If you do swap the hands, you could cross-beam the G at the end of m6 down into the LH, and introduce the B pickup in the RH in a second layer. You could also have dotted lines showing which voices are continuous with one another.

Took care of everything except for this point. I talked it over with MSF for a little bit over Discord, and he said it would be fine to leave this up for debate. If it means anything, I found an arrangement that writes it out very similarly to how I have it:

Oh, and the new draft's files are up.

Latios212

Hand crossing can be okay as long as you're sufficiently conscious of how badly the hands collide in terms of both sound and playability. In this particular example, I think it's fine. On the playability front, the LH has an easy path to keeping the arpeggios the same via playing them with a raised hand position as in the video. And as for how it sounds, it doesn't create any nasty intervals (like minor seconds) with the melody.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on May 17, 2020, 12:17:00 PMHand crossing can be okay as long as you're sufficiently conscious of how badly the hands collide in terms of both sound and playability. In this particular example, I think it's fine. On the playability front, the LH has an easy path to keeping the arpeggios the same via playing them with a raised hand position as in the video. And as for how it sounds, it doesn't create any nasty intervals (like minor seconds) with the melody.

Sweet; we got lucky with this one. Works for me!

Static

mastersuperfan

hey small thing but could you move the "Slightly faster" tempo marking down a bit closer to the 8va so it's extra clear that it belongs to the system below it

Otherwise it's good
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 18, 2020, 12:44:53 PMhey small thing but could you move the "Slightly faster" tempo marking down a bit closer to the 8va so it's extra clear that it belongs to the system below it

Did that, and I'm praying for the folks that look for tempo markings below the staves

All fixed!

mastersuperfan