Deciding the Next Special Update! (May/June 2020) - VOTING PHASE

Started by Maelstrom, May 19, 2020, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Continuing on in our new style of special updates, we will once against begin the voting procedure. Just like last time, any user can suggest ONE theme by posting in this thread. There are only 2 restrictions:
- The theme cannot be limited to a single game/series or musical style
- No duplicates of previous themes (food/cooking)

Anything else is fair game. Other suggestions from the last thread that didn't get voted in were things like aquatic themes, boss battles, and "music about music." The best suggestions are those that are applicable to as many types of video games and musical styles as possible. Creative interpretations of the theme are fine.

Nominations will be open for approximately one week from the time of this post, but nominations are preferred to be posted sooner rather than later. We may be experimenting with tweaking the deadlines, but for now, this will be followed by a week of voting, two weeks of arranging, and two more weeks of reviewing. If you want to see how the last two steps work, check out the previous thread.

Nominations are over and we have progressed to the voting phase. The deadline is 4 days from that post.

Nominations:
- Weather
- Replacements
- Shop Themes
- Nighttime themes
- Request fulfilment
- Arcade titles of the 80s and 90s
- Forests
- Sad/Tragic Backstory themes
- Beginnings and Endings

BrainyLucario

Well, we could do a weather one. Like the weekly forecast a news channel does.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Yug_Guy

As the user who suggested the winning theme last time, I am abstaining from choosing another topic in order to set precedent for all future arrangement projects. and definitely not because I don't have any ideas this time around.

Maelstrom

I will very shamelessly nominate the theme of "replacements," both smaller edits and full-on replacements. It'd be a nice way to get a bunch of minor edits for sheets on the site, as most people tend to not arrange those as it takes up a submission slot. but more that I just want to remove some abominations from the site en masse.

NineLives

I'd like to nominate "Shop Themes" to the list. This can include both themes from actual physical stores in games or just the themes of characters who sell things to the player. Anything to do with selling or buying can apply. Even if the store's not a place you actually buy from, like if it's just a setting in the game's story, that could work too!

mastersuperfan

I'll nominate the theme of "nighttime" music. Can be any music that plays during nighttime in the game, music that plays during a nighttime event/cutscene, music that plays during nighttime/dark levels, music associated with sleeping, etc.

Possibilities include: Animal Crossing hourly themes, Super Mario Maker 2 night level music, night variations from Breath of the Wild/Pokémon/Xenoblade, assorted themes from games like Castlevania, To The Moon, and Luigi's Mansion, and so on. Lots of games tend to have at least one night-themed level or music track.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

My nomination this time is "requests." We have over 70 pages of unfulfilled requests - that's over 1400 pieces to choose from, and there's a wide variety. I think it might be cool as a way to kinda give visitors what they have been looking for (even if we're 10 years late lol).

LeviR.star

I'm just gonna copy & paste my suggestion from last time (creativity FTW):

Quote from: moi, some time agoI think it would be a good idea to assemble a set of arrangements from arcade games of the 80s & 90s, and possibly later. Classic Namco games, like Pac-Man and Galaga, have limited representation on the site, and games everyone knows, like Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, have a ridiculously low number of sheets.

This would give our arrangers a wide variety of games to choose from, as many different franchises and companies have graced the arcade industry at least a few times. Less-daring arrangers could take on early 80's titles with simpler soundtracks, and seasoned NSM veterans could arrange whatever they want. I believe that this update has a clear enough theme while still allowing for plenty of variety.

Also seconding this one ∨ ∨, because the above ^ ^ likely isn't very popular:

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 19, 2020, 11:24:19 AMI will very shamelessly nominate the theme of "replacements," both smaller edits and full-on replacements. It'd be a nice way to get a bunch of minor edits for sheets on the site, as most people tend to not arrange those as it takes up a submission slot. but more that I just want to remove some abominations from the site en masse.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

PokeMaestro

We could choose the topic "Forests" for the update.

cacabish

I nominate the topic of "Sad/Tragic Backstory" themes. These are pieces of music that typically play in the background of someone's monologue/dialogue about their past and how that has motivated them to crime or evil, gives them recurring nightmares, fills them with despair, remorse, or regret, caused a major shift in their life, etc.

They usually hit you right in the feels insomuch that these songs are typically among the few pieces of music that are culturally acceptable to have grown men well up with tears whenever they play, regardless of situation or company.  :'(

Maelstrom

I like the idea, but is there a way to expand to to be more broadly applicable? As it is, it can't apply to any games without sad flashbacks, which is probably the majority. Rewording it do allow for creative interpretations may also be a good idea.

rabidgoodra27

I was going to post shop themes... but didn't, for some reason.  So that's my vote.
My Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/its-me-again-margaret

NineLives

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 24, 2020, 09:59:10 PMI like the idea, but is there a way to expand to to be more broadly applicable? As it is, it can't apply to any games without sad flashbacks, which is probably the majority. Rewording it do allow for creative interpretations may also be a good idea.
To add, I would think of something on the lines of just "Emotional" or "Sad" themes instead of having an affiliation with backstories and flashbacks. That would be more broad since there are a lot of games with sad moments that have a track to back it up. Whenever I think back to moments like that, I usually remember the music along with the scenes because I feel the music really makes those sequences come to life.

Code_Name_Geek

My suggestion for a theme is "Beginnings and Endings". This could include title themes, intro themes, credit themes, chapter transition themes, epilogue themes, or anything with a title that fits the theme (such as "Land of Beginnings" from Bravely Default, for example).

Maelstrom

Alright, so now it's time to move on to the next phase: voting.
Voting will be done the same as last time; PM a ranked list of the nominations to Libera, not me, as he will be in charge of tallying votes. Using the forum's PM system is prefered, but discord can be used if that is not an option. If you're not sure how the votes will be counted, please check the post from last time.

For clarity's sake, here is an example PM:
Spoiler
<Username>
1 - Weather
2 - Replacements
3 - Shop Themes
4 - Nighttime themes
5 - Request fulfilment
6 - Arcade titles of the 80s and 90s
7 - Forests
8 - Sad/Tragic Backstory themes
9 - Beginnings and Endings
[close]
These are just in the nomination order, so there is no significance in this order. All votes must have every nomination ranked, with no ties or they will not be counted. Like last time, all arrangers (those with at least one sheet on the site) will have their votes count as double.

The deadline is Saturday evening (4 days from this post), but please submit your votes as soon as possible.

The nominations:
- Weather
- Replacements
- Shop Themes
- Nighttime themes
- Request fulfilment
- Arcade titles of the 80s and 90s
- Forests
- Sad/Tragic Backstory themes
- Beginnings and Endings