Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Shrine
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Sidon327

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Yay! This one's a classic, good to finally see a sheet for it ;D

I have a few high-level pieces of feedback to start. For reference, I actually started this a few weeks ago; feel free to compare and use anything from my draft!
  • All the note durations should be halved. Quarter = 150 is too quick a pace for a slow piece like this, and writing this out as you have it expands the amount of space needed for each phrase and makes it difficult to see where the phrases actually start and end.
  • I don't think this video has the loop correct. Here's the file I have from (I think) a game rip, which aligns with what I recall hearing in-game when you first enter a shrine. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzwgulxolz2mtgq/1-16%20Shrine.mp3?dl=0
  • I'd strongly suggest moving down the bass part down an octave (and maybe using octaves for each note as well). That would give the arrangement the perfect amount of the "heavy" feel that anchors that voice down in the original :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sidon327

Thanks for all the tips and your draft! I'll start working on making those changes  :D
About which version of the Shrine music I used as the basis for my arrangement, I chose the version on YouTube that matched up with the version I have on my Breath of the Wild Soundtrack CD set. I've noticed from listening to different versions and just from gameplay that the music is slightly different each time you go into a shrine, and that the arpeggios, bassline, and melody seem to be somewhat randomly generated, similarly to the field music. Would it be alright if I stuck with the version included on the soundtrack, or would you rather I use the rip that you've provided?
Thanks again!  ;D

Latios212

You're welcome! :)

About the music being semi-randomly generated, I haven't looked into it enough but I have a feeling you may be right. That said, I have the soundtrack selection CD from the Master's Edition (unfortunately not on me right now so can't check) and I think it matches the audio file I posted (i.e. starting on Bb-D-Eb in the RH). What version of the soundtrack are you using? I have the big box set too but haven't opened it...

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Ah, I see...

Sorry I don't have time to look into it right now, I'll see if I can dig a little deeper in another few days (or if anyone else can). In the meantime don't worry about the loop and you can just focus on the other stuff if you have time ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sidon327

I re-transcribed using the version on the soundtrack selection CD and made the changes you suggested :D

This version matches the soundtrack selection version:

TheZeldaPianist275

Dropping by to weigh in on this.

As far as I can tell, Sidon, there are two versions of this piece.  One is on the sound selection CD; it sounds fairly close to the Preload music if you're playing on a Wii U.  That's the one you have now, but I don't know that it ever plays in a shrine in-game.  The other is the game rip version, and as far as I remember--and can hear from YouTube videos--that's the one that shows up when you play the game.

It's not unheard of that they do this.  Dragon Roost Island on The Wind Waker soundtrack (and every smash game since) has a rad bass line that is just absolutely not in the original game.  My guess is something similar here--that rather than being randomly generated, there's an in-game version and a sound selection version.  It's also possible that certain shrines play one version and not the other, and vice versa.  I don't know what the policy would be for what is and is not appropriate to upload to the site.  If anyone has any insights I'm missing, I would be curious to hear them.

Latios212

Hey, sorry for the wait! Unfortunately I haven't had any more time to look into it (wonder if Static or Gav might be able to puzzle this out at some point). Short answer though is that an arrangement of either an in-game version or an official soundtrack version of a track should be fine to upload to the site, as they are both official. It would help to figure out exactly what that difference is, though, just for the sake of knowledge... but I think this version we have here is definitely representative enough of the Shrine music to make anyone satisfied!

Honestly, there are just so many mysteries hidden within the Breath of the Wild soundtrack that I don't even know about :P

Anyway, I'm going to be checking this version of the arrangement now, comparing against the above video from Peaches Lamb (which matches the soundtrack selection CD).

LH:
- The En-Eb movement in the bass of m. 26 - either add courtesy flats on the E flats or change the E naturals to F flats. Similarly in m. 58-59, 62-63
- Flip the inner ties in the chord in m. 34 LH. Same with m. 62, 66, 86

RH:
- m 21 and 22 I'm hearing the first F an octave higher. Same with the A in m. 97
- Misaligned half note in m. 35
- I think the arpeggios in m. 69 and 85 aren't the right ones
- Big note in m. 83 beat 1.75 :P
- Clashing grace note in lower layer / 16th in upper layer in m. 83-84
- Melody C in m. 85 should have a D grace note before it

A few thoughts on multiple layers in the RH in m. 33+ where it starts getting tricky:
- I think 16th rests in the upper layer (like in m. 35) would be better than overlapping noteheads (like in m. 33) since the upper line doesn't actually dip down to the melody
- I would encourage simply dropping the upper line in the second of each pair of measures (like 34) to focus on the melody entirely. (This would also prevent some clashing visuals...) This comment goes for m. 68 and 80 too, I'd avoid changing the small notes back to regular size in the middle of a phrase and suggest playing the chord with the RH instead.

This is a really meticulously done sheet, thanks for doing a wonderful job and making this an easy one to check :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sidon327

Latios212

You're welcome :D this looks awesome! Just a last couple tiny things:

Quote from: Latios212 on June 16, 2020, 01:53:41 PMRH:
- m 21 and 22 I'm hearing the first F an octave higher. Same with the A in m. 97
Oops sorry I meant 21 and 23!

Aside from that some top layer small rests need to be moved up a bit in pages 4-5 to avoid touching or being awkwardly close to the lower notes. Particularly m. 65, 67, 85, 89, 91 - but actually I think it would be best to have them all float up slightly higher in general.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Sweet! Have a very emphatic well-deserved seal of approval from me :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

First of all, the BotW soundtrack is kind of a nightmare... Like Latios said, I think this version showcases all the different parts of the Shrine theme pretty well, and it's official. I know from experience tracks like the normal Battle theme have a million versions, I only arranged whatever the official one was (and tbh I forgot which version that even was). But yeah, it's all good. If you wanted to submit an alternate version in the future, I'd say that would be totally welcome and you could title it "Shrine (Alternate)" or something. Onto the sheet itself:
  • On page 1, the music goes below the copyright info. You have enough room to shorten the distances between systems and/or staves for that page only.
  • m26, 58, 62 (I might be missing one): Whenever the bassline descends chromatically, you should spell the notes with flats instead of sharps/naturals. So En would become Fb, and F# would become Gb. This cuts down on the amount of symbols needed to write little figures like that.
  • There are a few extra grace notes you could include in the bagpipe melody, but they're all in spots where I think it would be annoying to play them, so I'm fine with keeping it simpler. There's already a bunch of layers to this piece.
  • You can move all the systems on page 5 down a bit more since there's more room on the bottom than on top.