[SWITCH] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - "Welcome Horizons (Main Theme)" by Sidon327

Started by Zeta, May 22, 2020, 09:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Animal Crossing
Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Welcome Horizons (Main Theme)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Sidon327

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

I updated the game title to "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" :) The game title still needs to be written out fully even when housed under a series
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

• The melody at the beginning is articulated pretty distinctly in the original; some notes are slurred, some are staccato.
  • You can probably throw some of those squiggly lines on a lot of the chords to simulate the plucking effect of the guitar and ukulele.
  • In the section starting at m8, the third note (beat 2) in a lot of measures should be staccato, and the lowest note should be held. I would put the bassline as a separate layer and have the notes held out for full length (this can be played using the pedal).
  • m16, 18 RH: The staccato markings should be aligned with the center of the notehead, not the stem.
  • m16 RH beat 2: You might want to check the notes you have for that 2nd layer part there. I'm hearing the first dyad as D-C and the 2nd one as C-G.
  • m20: You can hide the quarter and half rest if you want, since nothing is there in the lower layer.
  • m20 and 23 RH could use some more articulations in the melody as well.
  • All grace notes should have slurs connecting them to the main note.
  • I know the title theme is called "Welcome Horizons", but it shares that name with one of the new K.K. songs. In case that one ever gets arranged, the titles should be distinct somehow. I'd recommend "Welcome Horizons (Main Theme)" or something similar.

Sidon327

I just re-uploaded with most of those changes! There's a couple I'm having a bit of trouble with however.
First, I'm having a bit of trouble still hearing the dyads in m16 RH beat 2, I updated them to what I am hearing, but I'm not sure if they're still correct.
Also, for the staccato markings lining up with the notehead instead of stems, I can't see a way to do that other than manually moving them.

Thanks for all the advice!  :D

Static

Quote from: Sidon327 on May 30, 2020, 12:30:47 PMI just re-uploaded with most of those changes! There's a couple I'm having a bit of trouble with however.
First, I'm having a bit of trouble still hearing the dyads in m16 RH beat 2, I updated them to what I am hearing, but I'm not sure if they're still correct.
Ah, sorry, I meant beat 4 of m15 and 17... looks like I couldn't count
There are 2 8th notes on beat 4, D-A (not C) and C-G, played by an electric piano-kinda instrument.

Also, manually moving articulations is the right way for these kinds of situations. Sometimes you just have to unfortunately.

Everything else looks great!

Latios212

Quote from: Sidon327 on May 30, 2020, 12:30:47 PMAlso, for the staccato markings lining up with the notehead instead of stems, I can't see a way to do that other than manually moving them.
Quote from: Static on June 16, 2020, 05:07:20 PMAlso, manually moving articulations is the right way for these kinds of situations. Sometimes you just have to unfortunately.
There's a setting for this issue in particular...

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on March 25, 2020, 09:00:32 PMAh shoot, you're totally right. Had the "centre over stem when stemside" box checked by accident. Fixed!
docs

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Oh that's neat, I didn't know about that... but I think it's because that isn't a feature in Finale 2014. If you have v26 then you should be able to right click > Edit Articulation Definition and find it there.

Sidon327

Latios212

Looks good! Just a few small things:
- Make sure the title of the submission matches the title on the sheet (I think with "(Main Theme)" is fine)
- Adjust the inner tie for chords in m. 10-11
- Lowest tie between m. 10-11 should be flipped down
- RH beat 1 notes are misaligned in m. 16/18
- Low RH tie between m. 20-21 should be flipped
- For m. 28 I think it might look a bit neater with the grace note only slurring to the first whole note. Normally it makes sense to do until the end of the tied note, but probably not necessary here
- You may want to consider redistributing measures so the first system can have one fewer measure - it's rather cramped compared to the systems on the second page
- Some dynamics might make this a bit more colorful :) some contrast (dynamic buildup) between the first and second half might be nice if you want, but the place I would most recommend adding some is the endings which could probably use a bit of a diminuendo of sorts.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Awesome! Ah sorry, just one last thing - I think beat 4.5 LH of m. 10 should actually be flipped down, since the Eb belongs to the bottom voice. Also the ties between measures...

You cannot view this attachment.

Lastly, the composer listing should have "&/and" before the last composer. That's all I think ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle