Maelstrom's Replacements

Started by Maelstrom, May 31, 2020, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Here's what I've got so far:

Maelstrom

Added Spirit of Avarice. This one was tricky because the original bassline was really nice and creative, but also extrapolated a lot and was unplayable. I adjusted it in areas where the creativity made it unplayable or unfaithful to the original, and fixed up the formatting while I was at it. I did not add an "edited by" since i judged my work wasn't enough to deserve that.

Maelstrom

Main changes were incorperating the drum beats in the 2nd section, re-formatting everything, and fixing a few stray notes.

Maelstrom

My time up and disappeared, but I still want to get the 3 sheets in that I have substantial work done on. Those being the MGS2 main theme, my edit of Catastrophe in Bhava-agra, and edited my already existing sheet of Encounter from MGS1. These will be done, but they may be slightly late.

Maelstrom

well, finale just corrupted and lost my finished files so I think it might be a bit longer

Maelstrom

Forgot to post about it, but my MGS Encounter theme has been fixed up and my final touhou edit is done and both are in the dropbox folder

Static

Terra's Theme
  • For m5 onward, I'm assuming you don't want the pedal to be used at all? That's what I would suggest, to keep the march feel. However, there are a few sections that just aren't playable without using the pedal, like m11-12 and m29. I would consider changing the octave of some of the notes, like moving the C#-B-A# in m11-12 Layer 2 up, and just removing the low C in m29. If you want to keep m29 sounding full, just add the A# between the F# and C# (I'd probably do this for m25 also).
  • m17-22 RH: Because the melody is sometimes in the top or bottom layer, I would split the long notes into separate layers as well, so it's clear that the G# is the melody note. As it is now, it's impossible to tell the melody just from reading it.
  • m35-36 RH: The 2nd layer has some triplet stuff on beat 4 of each of those measures, it's not just whole notes.
  • The m39 section just sounds empty without that timpani part. I'd strongly suggest including it.
  • Another thing that would make the m39 section sound a little more full is changing the RH harmonies. In the original, it's a 3-voice part all the way through (2 violins and a banjo, with a horn doubling one of the violins). I would use that instead of octaves with one note in between, especially since the doubled parts are playing at the same octave anyway.

Maelstrom

Oops forgot to post. Terra's theme has been updated

mastersuperfan

Encounter - Metal Gear Solid

Looks nice. A few things:
- m3 RH Layer 2, I don't hear any C's in there (just the A and the E).
- m6-7 RH beats 2.5-3.5 have a harmony layer under the melody.
- Perhaps add the high strings into the RH in m9?
- Given that there are staccatos, I think beat 4 of m20 RH would make more sense as two sixteenths and an eighth rest afterward.
- Dynamics are positioned weirdly throughout the whole sheet. They should be centered between the staves and directly above/below the noteheads of the beats they're corresponding. A lot of the RH dynamics look really awkward so close to the notes/stems (m10, m19, m21, m23).
- m12 LH comes really close to the staff below it. Since you have so much empty space on page 2, I would recommend just moving one system from page 1 onto page 2 and space the systems out more so that you have more breathing room. This also lets you center RH-staff-only dynamics above the notes without crowding them in.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: Static on June 23, 2020, 12:15:59 PMTerra's Theme
Another thing that would make the m39 section sound a little more full is changing the RH harmonies. In the original, it's a 3-voice part all the way through (2 violins and a banjo, with a horn doubling one of the violins). I would use that instead of octaves with one note in between, especially since the doubled parts are playing at the same octave anyway.
This part is the same as it was before. I'd still recommend using the lower 3rd voice instead of a lower octave, especially since this part is a little more subdued than the rest of the piece. Up to you I guess though.

Maelstrom

oh crap I still had it open and thought I had finished but aparently I hadn't

Maelstrom

Quote from: Static on July 11, 2020, 12:59:25 PMThis part is the same as it was before. I'd still recommend using the lower 3rd voice instead of a lower octave, especially since this part is a little more subdued than the rest of the piece. Up to you I guess though.
Finally fixed

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 10, 2020, 05:14:08 PMEncounter - Metal Gear Solid
Added more notes in addition to those to m7-8 RH.
Everything else fixed.

Static

mastersuperfan

Encounter - Metal Gear Solid - A few last remaining things:
- m21 RH beat 1 also has an E. I don't think there's a C there in the original, but you can keep it for emphasis if you want.
- Is there any particular reason that m4/7/8/22 beats 2.5-3.5 are staccato-slur-staccato? All notes sound equally short to me, so I think it would be better phrased with all three notes under a single slur and the third note staccato.
- I don't remember why I didn't comment on this before, so I will ask about it now. Is there any reason why LH beat 4 of m8/13/22 isn't doubled an octave on the last note?
- Just a few remaining dynamic positioning nitpicks as always (as long as v26 didn't mess them up on import): dynamics in m1, m4, m25 are much closer to the RH than the LH and could be centered better between the staves. Dynamic in m7 is very close to the barline. Dynamic above m10 RH is very close to touching the note itself.

Also, is it just me or does the staff size look way too small? Finale says the page is scaled at 90% but it looks smaller than that...
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 12, 2020, 01:57:55 PMAlso, is it just me or does the staff size look way too small? Finale says the page is scaled at 90% but it looks smaller than that...
Yeah this does look super sparse - everything would fit fine at 100%. Also the top and right margins are smaller than the others (0.5).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle