News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Latios212's Replacements

Started by Latios212, May 31, 2020, 01:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 25, 2020, 09:31:05 PMSky Garden - Looks amazing! I'm ready to accept this now but I wanted to ask one other thing that just came to mind: Do you want to keep m24 RH as two layers? I'm not sure I see the point of using two layers and think condensing it into one would be neater.
Yep, I think that makes sense to keep as is since it separates the melody and makes it clear that the last chord in particular is part of a different voice.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 25, 2020, 09:31:05 PMTeam Plasma Battle - Did you want to change the sixteenth notes in m23/25 LH to staccato'd eighth notes as well? Ready to approve once you let me know.
Oops! Yeah, got it!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Nice.

Sky Garden - accepted

Battle! (Team Plasma) - approved
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Taking Over the Halberd

Spot on! I just have one personal suggestion for you to consider: I think the 16th-note bassline from m1-12 would best be simplified as 8th-16th-16th rhythms (i.e. omit the second 16th note in each group of four). As is, I think the bassline sounds a bit too rapid and frantic, especially from m5 onward, and this change also would make it simpler to play on piano without making it sound any less like the original. (It also makes the LH switch after m12 feel less drastic/abrupt.) Just my two cents.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

chiming in to say that I think the abrupt change gives the song a lot of character, and is not an issue from my perspective. However, playability still may be a reason to change it.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 06, 2020, 10:38:25 PMTaking Over the Halberd

Spot on! I just have one personal suggestion for you to consider: I think the 16th-note bassline from m1-12 would best be simplified as 8th-16th-16th rhythms (i.e. omit the second 16th note in each group of four). As is, I think the bassline sounds a bit too rapid and frantic, especially from m5 onward, and this change also would make it simpler to play on piano without making it sound any less like the original. (It also makes the LH switch after m12 feel less drastic/abrupt.) Just my two cents.
Quote from: Maelstrom on July 07, 2020, 05:07:44 AMchiming in to say that I think the abrupt change gives the song a lot of character, and is not an issue from my perspective. However, playability still may be a reason to change it.
Thanks! Yeah... I'll honestly say that I wasn't a fan of the sudden change in m. 12-13. Omitting the second beats makes sense - I've done so now.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

About to accept, but one other thing I missed first time around: perhaps a courtesy natural on the G on RH m2 beat 1? Courtesy naturals could also go on the E in m9 RH and the D in m27 RH but those are also fine without them.

Latios212

Eh, I'd prefer to leave it as is. The phrases in the intro are disjoint enough to be taken independently, and especially with a blank key signature it's easy to do a mental reset across each barline.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Taking Over the Halberd
Nice. Accepted

Maelstrom

Overture
2 things. First, the last measure has a 3rd harmony for all of the final measure.

The second is the powerful chords in m7 and m11. They didn't sit well with me tonally at all. I couldn't hear the 5th, but just the octave wasn't enough. After fiddling, I reached this conclusion:

Or, what it would look like in the final sheet:

It's certainly not the simplest way to do it, but it's easy enough to play and sounds fantastic on a piano. I highly recommend changing it.

File Select
Unfortunately, that's not a pure repeat. 2nd time through, unadjusted, it looks like this:

Maybe include ped for the final measure? It'd be hard to replicate the echo heard in the original without it.

Latios212

Thanks for checking!

Overture
Yes, that sounds great. I implemented both, and agree it sounds better like this.

File Select
Hmm. You're right, but I think I'll choose to omit the E since that will be immediately overlapped by the right hand on beat 1.5. Added a performance indication that the upper note will only take place on repeats, let me know if that looks alright. (Added pedal in the past measure too.)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Static

Let's Try
- Watch the note lengths on this one; not all of those LH quarter notes are staccato, and some of the RH notes (like beat 4 of m1 and 5) should be staccato.
- m7 RH beat 4: The E should be a D.
- m16 RH beat 1 technically shouldn't have an E but I think it's fine to leave it in.
- Any particular reason you wrote m9/13/15 with ties instead of just a quarter note? It's fine as it is but I think a quarter note just looks cleaner.
- Yoko Shimomura should be listed as an arranger, not composer.

Mabe Village
- It's a bit hard to hear in the original due to the limited number of voices, but beats 3-4 of m3 sounds like an implied Cm chord to me, so the D#s should be Ebs.
- m4 beat 3 isn't part of the melody; that might be more clear to the reader if you put that F# in the LH instead.

Mystery Gift
- This might look less cluttered if you made all on-beat 8th notes staccato quarter notes instead. Other than that, looks good.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2020, 10:53:29 AMLet's Try
- Watch the note lengths on this one; not all of those LH quarter notes are staccato, and some of the RH notes (like beat 4 of m1 and 5) should be staccato.
- m7 RH beat 4: The E should be a D.
- Yoko Shimomura should be listed as an arranger, not composer.
Got those!

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2020, 10:53:29 AMLet's Try
- m16 RH beat 1 technically shouldn't have an E but I think it's fine to leave it in.
- Any particular reason you wrote m9/13/15 with ties instead of just a quarter note? It's fine as it is but I think a quarter note just looks cleaner.
- I wanted to be consistent with triads in the melody.
- Sometimes I prefer showing the downbeat like that with swing pieces because I think it's a little easier to read.
Also, looking at this again, I added slurs to the pairs of dyads that aren't part of the main melody.

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2020, 10:53:29 AMMabe Village
- It's a bit hard to hear in the original due to the limited number of voices, but beats 3-4 of m3 sounds like an implied Cm chord to me, so the D#s should be Ebs.
- m4 beat 3 isn't part of the melody; that might be more clear to the reader if you put that F# in the LH instead.
- Yep, that makes sense to me. Added a courtesy natural on the following E in m. 4 accordingly.
- That's how I would play it, but I get how it looks confusing on paper. Moved it to the LH.

Quote from: Static on August 20, 2020, 10:53:29 AMMystery Gift
- This might look less cluttered if you made all on-beat 8th notes staccato quarter notes instead. Other than that, looks good.
I kinda wanted to just have everything be eighth notes, but looking again it makes sense to do what you suggested. Updated that.

Thanks for looking, files all updated!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

File Select - Super Mario Galaxy
Looks good, just one small suggestion: There's a Db whole note you could add to the last measure (one octave below the Db in the RH chords).

Overture - Super Mario Galaxy
- In m3 RH, the G sounds to me like it should be lowered an octave (I hear a low G but not a high G).
- I feel like m7 beat 3 would be better written as an F# half note in the LH and a rolled B-C# dyad in the RH. I hear it more as a rolled B-C# than a rolled F#-C#, and this way also avoids overlap between the hands. Same for m9/11/13.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 21, 2020, 05:03:19 PMFile Select - Super Mario Galaxy
Looks good, just one small suggestion: There's a Db whole note you could add to the last measure (one octave below the Db in the RH chords).
Oh yes nice catch! Added.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 21, 2020, 05:03:19 PMOverture - Super Mario Galaxy
- In m3 RH, the G sounds to me like it should be lowered an octave (I hear a low G but not a high G).
- I feel like m7 beat 3 would be better written as an F# half note in the LH and a rolled B-C# dyad in the RH. I hear it more as a rolled B-C# than a rolled F#-C#, and this way also avoids overlap between the hands. Same for m9/11/13.
- Gotcha, sounds good
- Nope, I definitely want to keep it the way I have written in order to outline the main melody (the game's main motif from m. 1). The hand overlap isn't bad since the music is slow and it allows the RH to play louder to emphasize the melody note. Writing it like you suggested would obscure the melody.

Files updated, thank you for checking!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle