Dekkadeci's Replacements

Started by Dekkadeci, May 31, 2020, 05:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

I'm don't know if this has already been discussed, but I was just checking to see how you felt about the RH pattern from m. 1 - 4 used throughout the song. I know you simplified it rhythmically for the performers' sake, but Zeila's arrangement of the version from Kirby's Epic Yarn uses straight 16th notes throughout the whole measure; whether or not some of those notes were moved around for convenience, I do not know, I haven't checked. Just something to think about, this sheet looks and sounds awesome!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dekkadeci

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 08, 2020, 07:45:04 PMI'm don't know if this has already been discussed, but I was just checking to see how you felt about the RH pattern from m. 1 - 4 used throughout the song. I know you simplified it rhythmically for the performers' sake, but Zeila's arrangement of the version from Kirby's Epic Yarn uses straight 16th notes throughout the whole measure; whether or not some of those notes were moved around for convenience, I do not know, I haven't checked. Just something to think about, this sheet looks and sounds awesome!
Assuming you mean my transcription of Meta Knight's theme, I personally have a hard time hearing in the original every RH note I skipped in Bars 1-4 and related. I've seen transcriptions from others with the rest of the 16th notes filled in, but I have a tough time verifying them from Kirby Super Star audio, even after I slow down the audio to 50% speed.

I think the Kirby's Epic Yarn version has significantly clearer 16th notes in those RH passages.

LeviR.star

If you're having troubles, I've gone ahead and split, recorded, and linked that very section here with only the notes from that particular channel, meaning if you can slow it down past 50% with AudioStretch or some other application, you can have a much easier time transcribing it.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Maelstrom

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 07, 2020, 07:40:39 PM> LH rhythms for m17 and 18, and m50-58
I'd like whoever checks this next to weigh in as well, because I still hear what I said. If they agree with you, then I'm fine with it.
Correction: the last note I hear in m66 RH is a B.
Here's what I hear there in full.
My apologies to leave you hanging on this. If the next person looks at this and satisfactorily addresses this, I approve.

Static

Fight On!
  • m37 RH: There should be a D above the C on the 2nd dotted quarter note.
  • m39 RH: On the 3rd dotted quarter note, there should be a D above the C, and the A should be a G.
  • m41 RH: There should be an E above the D on the 2nd dotted quarter note.
  • m43 RH: On the 3rd dotted quarter note, there should be an E above the D, and the B should be an A.
  • m55 RH, Layer 1: Whenever this simple syncopated figure shows up, the first note should be a bit shorter. I'd recommend just a quarter note followed by an 8th rest.
  • m18, 24 LH, Layer 2: The last dotted quarter note G should be a quarter note D (third line) followed by an 8th note G (first line).
  • m28 LH: The end of this measure should look like the rest of it (get rid of that middle note).
  • m38 LH: The last two 8th notes should be F and F# (below the staff).
  • m42 LH: The last two 8th notes should be G and G# (first line).
  • m51, 60 LH: The bass has a cool pattern here that you might want to include instead of, or alongside, the guitar part you have now. Up to you.
  • m57 LH: The 4th quarter note should be D (third line).
  • m58 LH: The 2nd and 4th quarter notes should be E (third space).
  • m59 LH: The last two notes should be B (second line).
  • m65 LH: The last two notes should be A (first space).
  • m66 LH: The 2nd and 4th quarter notes should be E (third space); the last 8th note should be a C (second space). There is no B, contrary to Maelstrom's image.
  • m68 LH: The last 3 notes should just be two notes: a quarter note and 8th note, both G#s (first line).
  • In general, whenever you have that quarter note-8th note pattern in the LH, the quarter note should be played staccato. You could write them all in or use a simile or two, but they shouldn't all be normal length.
  • Page titles and numbers aren't all within the page margins, or aligned with each other.
  • Copyright text size is too small.
  • On Page 1, the composer/arranger info should be below the title; you can move the systems down and closer together to do this.
  • I can help you out with the formatting if you need it; just focus on the music first and I'll edit it at the end.

So, some general LH things; I really think that you could spice up this arrangement by including some 5ths and/or octaves whenever there's notes just repeating for awhile. It really brings out that classic rock shuffle vibe, but I also just think its more fun to play. (And this is my own bias here, but writing stuff that emulates the drums is also really satisfying to hear and play imo). I know you're working with Commander6's arrangement as a framework, but don't feel like you can't experiment some more. You made a lot of improvements to the RH, I'd just personally like to see some more in the LH.
(My feedback above applies to the transcribed bass line as you have it, but feel free to replace it with other parts if you'd like)

Dekkadeci

I also tried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7DYLdNBx0 as a source with no stutter at the beginning.

Quote from: Static on August 28, 2020, 03:18:09 PMFight On!
  • m37 RH: There should be a D above the C on the 2nd dotted quarter note.
Added.
Quote from: Static on August 28, 2020, 03:18:09 PM
  • m39 RH: On the 3rd dotted quarter note, there should be a D above the C, and the A should be a G.
I kept listening to M39 and I really never heard a D above that C, unlike M37, so I didn't add it. I prominently hear an A in that chord (even louder than any G), so I still kept it, but I felt the G was justified, so I added it.
  • m41 RH: There should be an E above the D on the 2nd dotted quarter note.
Added.
  • m43 RH: On the 3rd dotted quarter note, there should be an E above the D, and the B should be an A.
Similar logic to M39: due to what I hear there, I didn't add the E, kept the B, but added the A.
  • m55 RH, Layer 1: Whenever this simple syncopated figure shows up, the first note should be a bit shorter. I'd recommend just a quarter note followed by an 8th rest.
Done.
  • m18, 24 LH, Layer 2: The last dotted quarter note G should be a quarter note D (third line) followed by an 8th note G (first line).
Done.
  • m28 LH: The end of this measure should look like the rest of it (get rid of that middle note).
Done.
  • m38 LH: The last two 8th notes should be F and F# (below the staff).
Kept listening to those two 8th notes with both sources, even at 25% speed, and I kept hearing them as E and G instead of F and F#.
  • m42 LH: The last two 8th notes should be G and G# (first line).
Similarly to M38, I kept listening to those two 8th notes with both sources, even at 25% speed, and I kept hearing them as F# and A instead of G and G#.
  • m51, 60 LH: The bass has a cool pattern here that you might want to include instead of, or alongside, the guitar part you have now. Up to you.
I hope you mean M52 instead of M51. Listened to those measures in the original and decided to add the cool pattern, but unfortunately, its formatting is messed up in Finale Notepad, the last sharp is unnecessary but needed for playback, and a sharp and a note collide. These problems are in both M52 and M60 LH.
  • m57 LH: The 4th quarter note should be D (third line).
Done. Also corrected the rest of the LH in that measure.
  • m58 LH: The 2nd and 4th quarter notes should be E (third space).
Done.
  • m59 LH: The last two notes should be B (second line).
Kept listening to that measure with both sources, even at 25% speed, but I kept hearing the 2nd last note as an A, so only the last note was changed to a B.
  • m65 LH: The last two notes should be A (first space).
Kept listening to that measure with both sources, even at 25% speed, but I still hear both notes as G's.
  • m66 LH: The 2nd and 4th quarter notes should be E (third space); the last 8th note should be a C (second space). There is no B, contrary to Maelstrom's image.
Kept listening to that measure with both sources, including at 25% speed, and it turns out that I can't seem to hear the bass's version of that last 8th note at all. I made it a D since that was the loudest low note I could hear there this run. I changed the 2nd and 4th quarter notes to E, though.
  • m68 LH: The last 3 notes should just be two notes: a quarter note and 8th note, both G#s (first line).
Done.
  • In general, whenever you have that quarter note-8th note pattern in the LH, the quarter note should be played staccato. You could write them all in or use a simile or two, but they shouldn't all be normal length.
Managed to pull that off for the LH. I wrote them all in since some sections actually don't sound like they need the staccatos.
  • Page titles and numbers aren't all within the page margins, or aligned with each other.
  • Copyright text size is too small.
  • On Page 1, the composer/arranger info should be below the title; you can move the systems down and closer together to do this.
  • I can help you out with the formatting if you need it; just focus on the music first and I'll edit it at the end.
Sure, please help me with the formatting!
Quote from: Static on August 28, 2020, 03:18:09 PMSo, some general LH things; I really think that you could spice up this arrangement by including some 5ths and/or octaves whenever there's notes just repeating for awhile. It really brings out that classic rock shuffle vibe, but I also just think its more fun to play. (And this is my own bias here, but writing stuff that emulates the drums is also really satisfying to hear and play imo). I know you're working with Commander6's arrangement as a framework, but don't feel like you can't experiment some more. You made a lot of improvements to the RH, I'd just personally like to see some more in the LH.
(My feedback above applies to the transcribed bass line as you have it, but feel free to replace it with other parts if you'd like)
I keep hearing the single lines in the original instead of 5th and octave versions. I do believe a couple of the notes in the earlier versions were emulating drum hits (e.g. the early version of M28 LH).

Static

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 30, 2020, 05:42:55 PMI keep hearing the single lines in the original instead of 5th and octave versions. I do believe a couple of the notes in the earlier versions were emulating drum hits (e.g. the early version of M28 LH).
That is correct, I meant that you should feel free to add 5ths to give the LH some added punch if you wish to. It's purely an arrangement choice, not something directly transcribed. I'm referring specifically to m19-28, 37-51 (ignoring beat 4 on some measures), 53-55, 57-59, 61-63, and 65-66. Don't feel like you have to though, I just think it might spice up the arrangement.

After listening again, I'm hearing what you have now for most of the piece, except for m65-66, where I still hear the A's in 65 and the C in 66. Maybe someone else can take a look too.

Here's the formatted file for you.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Static on August 30, 2020, 07:34:03 PMHere's the formatted file for you.
Put that file into the "Approved" Dropbox folder.

mastersuperfan

For Fight On, I hear A's at the end of m65 and a B at the end of m66.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2020, 09:00:24 PMFor Fight On, I hear A's at the end of m65 and a B at the end of m66.
Decided to switch to A's for the last 2 M65 LH notes and B for the last M66 LH note since these seem to be the most popular. However, I have misgivings about the first switch, as I clearly hear a drop in pitch at the 2nd last M65 bass note in the original in both versions, and the 3rd last M65 bass note in the original is an A.

Static

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 30, 2020, 10:36:51 PMDecided to switch to A's for the last 2 M65 LH notes and B for the last M66 LH note since these seem to be the most popular. However, I have misgivings about the first switch, as I clearly hear a drop in pitch at the 2nd last M65 bass note in the original in both versions, and the 3rd last M65 bass note in the original is an A.
I'm trying to hear this, both slowed down and raised up an octave, but it still sounds like A's to me... If you're fine keeping it as A's, I'll accept. I don't have anything else to say about this sheet, it looks great!

Oh yeah I also got rid of that duplicate C# in m52/60, for some reason it didn't work when I tried last time, but it should be gone now.