mastersuperfan's Replacements

Started by mastersuperfan, June 13, 2020, 08:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

And so the Ace Attorney series shall be purged from the NSM Audit.

[NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • "Cross-Examination ~ Allegro 2001" - Original
  • "Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters' Theme 2001 - Original
  • "Suspense" - Original
  • "The Steel Samurai, Warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo" - Original

[NDS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
  • "Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2002" - Original

[NDS] Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
  • "Cross-Examination ~ Moderato 2007" - Original

Since I use v26, articulations may appear wonky when a MUSX file is opened in non-v26 Finale, especially since some sheets have manually adjusted articulations.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Yug_Guy

Static

Cross Examination ~ Allegro 2001
  • For parts that require particular large hands in the RH, I would consider removing doubled notes. Examples would be the low A in m9/13/17/21, the low Ds in m26 and 28. This frees up an extra finger in those parts and makes them a lot more comfortable to play in my opinion.
  • If you want, you could switch up the LH pattern at m17 since the drum groove changes there. I'd probably just do something like move beats 2 and 4 up an octave or 5th, but up to you.
  • m30 beat 2.5: I think this note should be tied and then not rearticulated in the 2nd layer, to emphasize the length of that note compared to the others. In the original track, it is noticeably longer. Also, you can hide the 2nd layer rest here.

Latios212

Suspense
  • yay finally
  • I think the dynamics would be better above the RH staff because the LH percussive beats are a constant volume in the original - right now it looks like both should fluctuate.
  • Not everyone agrees with this, but I think using a dotted eighth rest on beat 2 of m. 5 and similar would help the reader identify the downbeat a little better. Your choice.
  • You may want to consider some sort of "simile" or something for the dynamics - if you rework the sheet to 3 measures per system it'll be readily apparent where the pulses start and end. One other thing that's not super clear at the moment is the dynamic from the repeat to bar 5. The last bar ends with a dim. but bat 5 starts with a crescendo indicating that there was already a crescendo in progress in the previous measure.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Steel Samurai
I'm not sure how I feel about the 1st layer 8th rests in m8 and 10, mostly because their placement before the clef change makes them visually confusing. Maybe just hide them? Or maybe make the half note an 8th note (and merge the layers) because there's no way a human can hold that with their RH when they jump up. I'd recommend the latter, as not much is lost.

Turnabout sisters
-This is really nitpicky, but can you lower the 8th rest in m18 LH? Every other instance it's in the middle it counts for both layers, and every time it's lower it's only for one layer. This measure is the sole exception.
-Not sure if it's the version import issue, but the dot in m29 LH is basically colliding  with the 2nd layer.

Objection 2002
Why are the tied notes staccatoed? That just ... doesn't work notationally.
Forgot that they were slurred. Nice use of that notation.
This one's great. approved

CE - Moderato 2007
There's a few things that feel off, but I recognize why they are they way they are. The LH echoes notes (so it's always playing something), but there's no easy way to differentiate them. It's too hard to communicate to the performer, and simply adding an 8va/b harmony would make the LH overpowering. And it's not even that important to the song.
The other is the other layer in m9-end. It's positioned in such a way that playback makes it sound like it's notes added to the scale from earlier, but it's not like you can just raise or lower it an octave to get further away, so it's fine.
Yeah, I'll approve it too.

Latios212

Objection! 2002
- The beams are pretty close to the top staff in the pickup. Maybe inch them down a bit?
- You've got a lot of space on page 2 and have things kinda cramped up near the header. You could move it down a bit and maybe even use 4 and 5 systems per page to spread everything out evenly
- The rhythm for the last section (17+) sounds more like eighth+rest instead of quarters in the left hand, but it's fine if you wrote it that way for effect.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

hello it's been over two months and I'm here to finally edit my sheets

it took me a grand total of 2 hours so I probably could have done this sooner but oh well

Quote from: Static on June 14, 2020, 11:46:59 AMCross Examination ~ Allegro 2001
  • For parts that require particular large hands in the RH, I would consider removing doubled notes. Examples would be the low A in m9/13/17/21, the low Ds in m26 and 28. This frees up an extra finger in those parts and makes them a lot more comfortable to play in my opinion.
  • If you want, you could switch up the LH pattern at m17 since the drum groove changes there. I'd probably just do something like move beats 2 and 4 up an octave or 5th, but up to you.
  • m30 beat 2.5: I think this note should be tied and then not rearticulated in the 2nd layer, to emphasize the length of that note compared to the others. In the original track, it is noticeably longer. Also, you can hide the 2nd layer rest here.
- Done.
- I made beats 2 and 4 go up an octave. However, I also brought the whole line down an octave. I kept m25-32 as is since I felt that the m17-24 pattern only worked best when there were always full chords in the RH to fill the silence.
- Done.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 14, 2020, 04:51:59 PMSuspense
  • yay finally
  • I think the dynamics would be better above the RH staff because the LH percussive beats are a constant volume in the original - right now it looks like both should fluctuate.
  • Not everyone agrees with this, but I think using a dotted eighth rest on beat 2 of m. 5 and similar would help the reader identify the downbeat a little better. Your choice.
  • You may want to consider some sort of "simile" or something for the dynamics - if you rework the sheet to 3 measures per system it'll be readily apparent where the pulses start and end. One other thing that's not super clear at the moment is the dynamic from the repeat to bar 5. The last bar ends with a dim. but bat 5 starts with a crescendo indicating that there was already a crescendo in progress in the previous measure.
Did all of these. I kept the crescendo in m4-5 the same because writing it otherwise would have made it harder to use a simile for the dynamics. I added a mp at the very end right before the repeat, so I think it should make more sense now—decrescendo to mp at the end, and then crescendo back from mp to mf after the repeat. I also spaced it out more so that there are now 4 systems on page 1 and 3 systems on page 2.

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 12, 2020, 04:53:42 PMSteel Samurai
I'm not sure how I feel about the 1st layer 8th rests in m8 and 10, mostly because their placement before the clef change makes them visually confusing. Maybe just hide them? Or maybe make the half note an 8th note (and merge the layers) because there's no way a human can hold that with their RH when they jump up. I'd recommend the latter, as not much is lost.
My intention was to have the LH hold down the half note while the RH jumps out. However, I agree that the Layer 1 8th rest is kind of confusing (and just hiding it and leaving everything else is also a bit unclear), so there wasn't really a good way for me to notate that (cross-staffing would look weirder because some of the RH notes also dip down below the C half note). Ultimately, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and just changed it to an eighth note like you suggested.

I also spaced out the music and moved one system to the second page, moved m22 beats 2.5 and 4.5 down into the LH, and flipped m31 LH beats 1-2 upward. Finally, as a clarification, I don't know how it looks when you import it into an older Finale, but in m32 RH, the staccatos are supposed to be above the noteheads.

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 12, 2020, 04:53:42 PMTurnabout sisters
-This is really nitpicky, but can you lower the 8th rest in m18 LH? Every other instance it's in the middle it counts for both layers, and every time it's lower it's only for one layer. This measure is the sole exception.
-Not sure if it's the version import issue, but the dot in m29 LH is basically colliding  with the 2nd layer.
Both things fixed. I hope the dot in m29 doesn't look too much like a staccato; I tried offsetting the notes a bit to counteract that.

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 12, 2020, 04:53:42 PMCE - Moderato 2007
There's a few things that feel off, but I recognize why they are they way they are. The LH echoes notes (so it's always playing something), but there's no easy way to differentiate them. It's too hard to communicate to the performer, and simply adding an 8va/b harmony would make the LH overpowering. And it's not even that important to the song.
The other is the other layer in m9-end. It's positioned in such a way that playback makes it sound like it's notes added to the scale from earlier, but it's not like you can just raise or lower it an octave to get further away, so it's fine.
Yeah, I'll approve it too.
Well, I actually went ahead and edited this one a bit more—I moved the harmonies from the LH into the RH, since I felt that they sounded too muddy down that low. What do you think? (And yeah, I don't think there really is a good way to differentiate the half notes from being part of the melody, aside from having to rely on the pianist to bring out the eighth notes more.)

Quote from: Latios212 on July 23, 2020, 05:15:42 PMObjection! 2002
- The beams are pretty close to the top staff in the pickup. Maybe inch them down a bit?
- You've got a lot of space on page 2 and have things kinda cramped up near the header. You could move it down a bit and maybe even use 4 and 5 systems per page to spread everything out evenly
- The rhythm for the last section (17+) sounds more like eighth+rest instead of quarters in the left hand, but it's fine if you wrote it that way for effect.
Done and done. I wrote them as quarters for effect since having eighth rests felt kind of empty/abrupt to me.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

Steel Samurai and Turnabout Sisters have my approval.

CE 2007 looks pretty cool too.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 24, 2020, 08:38:49 PM- Done.
- I made beats 2 and 4 go up an octave. However, I also brought the whole line down an octave. I kept m25-32 as is since I felt that the m17-24 pattern only worked best when there were always full chords in the RH to fill the silence.
- Done.
Looks good, and gets my approval.

Latios212

Oops, I completely forgot I checked and you updated Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2002. Accepted ^^

Cross-Examination ~ Moderato 2007
- Assuming the lack of double barlines (except for the last one) at key changes is a Finale thing (the courtesy naturals too maybe?)
- Might the lower note in layer 2 of m. 12 be better written in the lower layer instead?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on August 29, 2020, 08:05:56 AMCross-Examination ~ Moderato 2007
- Assuming the lack of double barlines (except for the last one) at key changes is a Finale thing (the courtesy naturals too maybe?)
If you don't see them, it must be an issue with importing v26 files into older versions; I see the double barlines and courtesy naturals on my end.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 29, 2020, 08:05:56 AM- Might the lower note in layer 2 of m. 12 be better written in the lower layer instead?
Edited.

Latios212

Cross-Examination ~ Moderato 2007
Oops, sorry I meant to suggest that the naturals in the keysig changes weren't necessary. Anyway, I'll accept and let you or someone else do the file conversion! :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters' Theme 2001
- I know a lot of articulations are messed up bc you use v26, but if that staccato in m19 LH Layer 2 is on top for you, it should be flipped around.
- m26 LH Layer 2: The note on beat 3 should be a rest (the previous note is not tied)

The Steel Samurai, Warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo
- m11-12 RH: The top voice here sounds like it should be quarter notes whenever there's 2 8th notes in a row on the same pitch.
- m24 LH Beat 3.25: I would actually move this G up an octave. That way you don't have to restrike the note so quickly

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on August 30, 2020, 08:51:57 AMMaya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters' Theme 2001
- I know a lot of articulations are messed up bc you use v26, but if that staccato in m19 LH Layer 2 is on top for you, it should be flipped around.
- m26 LH Layer 2: The note on beat 3 should be a rest (the previous note is not tied)

The Steel Samurai, Warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo
- m24 LH Beat 3.25: I would actually move this G up an octave. That way you don't have to restrike the note so quickly
Fixed.

Quote from: Static on August 30, 2020, 08:51:57 AMThe Steel Samurai, Warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo
- m11-12 RH: The top voice here sounds like it should be quarter notes whenever there's 2 8th notes in a row on the same pitch.
m11-12? I definitely only hear eighth notes in the melody there.