cacabish's Arrangements - Sheetsmas 2022! Day 12: Bug Fables (Again)

Started by cacabish, June 23, 2020, 02:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cacabish

What do mean Halloween was 1.5 months ago? Anyway, that's no excuse for not doing a Luigi's Mansion 3 sheet! For this one, I wasn't sure of the title. Some OSTs have its subtitle as the "Vestibule", others have it as the "(Distant Piano)", so I decided to pull out my copy of Luigi's Mansion 3 (metaphorically, of course, because I have the digital version) and check the in-game music player to see what's called and apparently it's just subtitled "Track 1". So yeah. That's apparently what it's called. :-\

Anyway, this song has some major (no pun intended) "Moonlight Sonata Mvt. 1" vibes, so I borrowed the tempo marking "Adagio sostenuto" from that piece. Also, a really cool detail is you can actually see the piano in the game playing this song note-for-note, which I thought was really cool (but then again, Luigi's Mansion 3 is the king of having small details). Finally, given the simplicity of this sheet, I am 99% sure somebody's already arranged this; it's just sitting around in an arrangement thread somewhere. :P

Day 5:
Luigi's Mansion 3 - "The Great Stage - Track 1"

I quite like the number 5.

cacabish

Time for an Animal Crossing sheet! Specifically, a K.K. Slider song: Steep Hill! The aircheck version of this song is already on the site, so I decided to do the live version of this song. And, yes, technically this song first appeared in Doubutsu no Mori e+ not Wild World, but (a) I don't want to sound pretentious, (b) the song was only available by scanning an e-Reader card in a Japan-only game, and (c) the aircheck is listed under Wild World on the site and they have always been together in every game they've appeared in. So yeah, that's my logic. :P

This is one of my favorite K.K. songs. More often than not, a lot of his "sad" songs really aren't all that sad. This one, on the other hand, hits real hard in the feels. While the aircheck version is good, I feel all the "sadness" that exists is zapped away because the tempo is about 25% faster, it's bouncier, and has an electric guitar, among other things. With this version, I feel you can really let the true emotion of the piece shine a lot brighter due to its simplicity and slower tempo. Enjoy! :D

Day 6:
Animal Crossing: Wild World - "Steep Hill"

Half way done!

Static

Always glad to see more classic Animal Crossing sheets around here, this looks really good. The e+ aircheck for this particular track actually is slightly different to later iterations, with the guitar accompaniment played longer/legato instead of staccato. It hasn't been posted anywhere online, so I guess you'll have to take my word on it though... You could theoretically arrange it and submit it if you wanted.

I agree with your game title for this, I think it makes sense to only use the Japan titles for tracks exclusive to those releases, otherwise like the entire GC soundtrack would be under DnM on N64 (except for the Kapp'n songs which are different from those in DnM+). All of the "new" K.K. tracks in WW were first in e+, and K.K. Birthday was as well, though unobtainable.

Just some trivia for you lol

cacabish

Quote from: Static on December 19, 2021, 03:17:37 PMAlways glad to see more classic Animal Crossing sheets around here, this looks really good.
Cheers! :D

Quote from: Static on December 19, 2021, 03:17:37 PMThe e+ aircheck for this particular track actually is slightly different to later iterations, with the guitar accompaniment played longer/legato instead of staccato. It hasn't been posted anywhere online, so I guess you'll have to take my word on it though... You could theoretically arrange it and submit it if you wanted.
Huh, fascinating. Given that I'm not a huge fan of the current aircheck, you've got me curious of what it sounds like. However, if I ever wanted to pursue that and/or arrange it, I guess I would probably seek out a romhack of it and go from there. (This is a hypothetical pls don't sue me Nintendo.)

Quote from: Static on December 19, 2021, 03:17:37 PMI agree with your game title for this, I think it makes sense to only use the Japan titles for tracks exclusive to those releases, otherwise like the entire GC soundtrack would be under DnM on N64 (except for the Kapp'n songs which are different from those in DnM+).
Glad to hear your approval! And your logic makes sense. Funnily enough, I was tempted to ask you to fact-check this before I posted. But given that this is part of a "quantity-over-quality" sheet-posting event, I decided that I could do that and correct it later, especially if and when I would decide to get serious about submitting this. But you've saved me the trouble! :P
However, I was wondering if you knew who actually composed it. I ask because the aircheck has a documented composer, but the live version does not (at least, none that I could find). I have a hunch I know who it is based on my readings, but even then, it lacks any factual basis and would necessitate a logical leap at some point. But, at the the end of the day, it's really a minor issue compared to the actual content of the sheet.

Quote from: Static on December 19, 2021, 03:17:37 PMAll of the "new" K.K. tracks in WW were first in e+, and K.K. Birthday was as well, though unobtainable.

Just some trivia for you lol
Interesting! I kept seeing the results of this in my research and thought it was curious, but I didn't realize the full scope of it. :o Always happy to hear some Animal Crossing trivia, especially since I'm a relative latecomer to the series (or most series, for that matter). :)

Static

This track is composed by Toru Minegishi (as all of the K.K. songs from ACGC/e+/WW are). The live versions are arranged by Kazumi Totaka (the aircheck versions were written first). I would put it in the sheet like that, with the separate arranger listing, or you could just do "Composed by Toru Minegishi & Kazumi Totaka".

There's a list put together from various interviews and soundtrack listings that I can send you if you want. AC composer credits are hard to find.

cacabish

Quote from: Static on December 19, 2021, 07:56:33 PMThis track is composed by Toru Minegishi (as all of the K.K. songs from ACGC/e+/WW are). The live versions are arranged by Kazumi Totaka (the aircheck versions were written first). I would put it in the sheet like that, with the separate arranger listing, or you could just do "Composed by Toru Minegishi & Kazumi Totaka".
So I was right! This is exactly what I had pieced together based on what I read (at least in the case of "Steep Hill", that is), but I wasn't sure of which was composed first. Anyway, thanks to that, I have updated the sheets to reflect that. Thanks! ;D

Quote from: Static on December 19, 2021, 07:56:33 PMThere's a list put together from various interviews and soundtrack listings that I can send you if you want. AC composer credits are hard to find.
That'd be really nice, thank you. This will not be my last Animal Crossing sheet and that will be a nice resource going forward. :)

cacabish

This is a little fun game compilation on the Switch that has a mix of good games and why-are-these-here games: Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics!

Ever wanted to play a simple game of Concentration/Matching on your Switch? No?
Even with Mario-themed cards? Still no?
Well, how about playing it, but on your piano! Ha! That's the ticket!
8)
(There is actually a piano included in the collection you can play in handheld mode. No, you couldn't play this sheet on that. Too small.)

Drums! Yes, this song has a one-measure-long drum solo just before the repeat and instead of leaving it blank, I decided to add the drum part. Now, I don't play drums nor do I know all the ins and outs of drum playing, so this is all just my best attempt at transcribing what I hear (as everything I write is). :P

Day 7:
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - "Matching"

It's getting harder to keep up!

cacabish

A sheet from a cooking game for the holidays. How festive! Except it's Overcooked! 2 so it's anything but peaceful. I love both this game and the original and I love playing them with my friends! Optimization and cooking: this game speaks to me on a personal level.

Anyway, this is the main theme that plays on the main menu. It's a callback to the original's theme, which had basically the same instrumentation, but was more somber. Also, there is an arpeggio every measure! And Finale hates arpeggios! So, I spent like an hour just correcting arpeggios! What fun!

Day 8:
Overcooked! 2 - "Main Theme"

2/3 done!

cacabish

More Mario Party! :D This is probably my favorite victory theme (at least from the N64 Mario Party games) and it was nice and short, so why not arrange it?

I'm not exactly sure of the title of this piece (since it doesn't appear in the in-game music player), so I went with a title that I found that best summarized what this piece was for. If I come across the actual title (or a better title), I will retitle it. :)

Day 9:
Mario Party 2 - "Win (Multiple Winners)"

Yeah, this one's a cop-out.

cacabish

Ace Attorney time! Specifically, the recollection theme from the 3rd game, 4th case. I find this one to be very powerful and it hits hard right when it needs to.

Since this song has no official translation, there are no shortage of fan-translated titles for it. According to the Ace Attorney wiki (SPOILER WARNING), there are 4 different prefixes ("Recollection", "Reminiscence", "Reminiscing", "Reminiscences") and 7 different titles that fans have used more-or-less interchangeably. Nominally, that means there are 28 different possible full titles for this piece! So, I have no idea what's the correct title. I'm just sticking with the title on the .wav file I've been using to arrange from (which is one of the 28 combinations). ???

Speaking of 28, according to MuseScore, I've been working on this sheet off-and-on for about 28 months now (coincidence, I assure you). Unfortunately, the devil is in the details with this sheet, so it's taken me a long time. However, while I couldn't consider it even remotely perfect, I'm at least satisfied that it has risen to some personal degree of "finished"-ness to justify posting it. Enjoy! :)

Day 10:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - "Recollection ~ Scenery Where the Hazy Bridge is Seen"

Almost done!

cacabish

Merry Christmas Eve! :)

This time, Paper Mario: Color Splash - the one with the paint and the many, many Paper Toads! I really like this power-up theme as it gets your heart racing and blood pumping, which is fair because it only lasts 20 seconds. This version is the nonstandard version, with no accelerando or pitching up as the timer expires and instead just infinitely repeats. I did do an arrangement of the standard version, but it's just a joke at that point, so I'm not posting that one here.

This sheet I actually forgot about and originally arranged in July of 2019. So yeah. Had to wipe the dust off. :P

Day 11:
Paper Mario: Color Splash - "Unfurl Power"

1 day left!

cacabish

Merry Christmas Everyone! :D

For the final sheet of this rapid-sheet-posting extravaganza, I originally had a different sheet in the works, but it's still in need of some heavy work, so it won't be posted today. However, what's more Christmas-y than bugs? Mice, apparently. Cute bugs, too! How does that make bugs relate to Christmas? That's right, another Bug Fables sheet because why not! :)

I actually did this one today in a just a couple hours because of how nice and straightforward it is (I had some extra time after family). It's a wonderful jig that is very reminiscent of the sea shanties of old. Don't blame me if it gets stuck in your head! :P

Day 12:
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - "The Sailors' Pier"
[PDF] [MIDI] [MUS] [MUSX]

And with that, I conclude my first-ever 12 Days of Sheetsmas! I honestly can't believe I made it all 12 days, but it was certainly an interesting experience going rapid-fire like this. If I get enough mostly-finished sheets lying around waiting to be finished this time next year, I might consider doing one next year. Maybe.
Anyway, thanks to everyone who looked at my totally-not-rushed sheets and I hope you all have a very merry Christmas! ❤️

cacabish

It's time for more Mario Party (it's always time for more Mario Party)! This sheet is already on the site, but is in need of replacement, so this is my candidate for possibly replacing it!

A couple notes: First, I'm almost certain the song is in 3/4 (primarily due to the tempo), but it could also be seen as flipping back-and-forth between 3/4 and 6/8 groupings. Second, I'm not 100% on the key. I put A major and there's clearly a bit of A major/A minor flipping happening throughout, but it's possible there is a strict key change to A minor at some point in the piece, or that the whole piece can be looked as in A minor. However, given that the piece is so short, I don't think it matters that much. Anyway, enjoy!

Mario Party - "Saving Courage"

cacabish

Just because I'm neck-deep in end-of-school stuff, doesn't mean I can't arrange something! Especially when it's simple! ;D

Full Disclosure: I know practically nothing about the Megami Tensei series. I only know about this song from a couple Super Mario World Romhacks that use it as background music (you can check out that rendition here). I also know there are other versions of this song in sequels and remakes (which I would argue are better than this simple 8-bit version), but I've gone with the original here because... it's the original. So, if you are an avid fan of the series, feel free to share any any all inaccuracies I've made with this sheet with me -- just don't expect me to gush about it like you. ;)

Anyway, I'm not really sure why I like this song; I just... do. I think it's likely because (a) it's in a minor key, which I like, and (b) it sounds a lot like the stuff I personally compose (usually in minor, repetitive, with descending bass lines). Regardless, I hope you like it too! :D

Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei - "Daedalus"

cacabish

I've been quite busy this year with graduating university and starting my first "real" job, so, this year I'll, once again, be doing the 12 days of Sheetsmas where I post an arrangement (good, bad, or hopefully-only-mildly ugly) every day for 12 days straight! :D
Most of these will be sheets I've had lying around needing to be finished and this is the perfect opportunity to get them over the finish line. I will not be imposing any extra rules like only one per game/series/console because I'm boring like that. Just 12 arrangements, posted daily. :P

Aaaaand here we go! I recently started playing through the Trails in the Sky subseries of the The Legend of Heroes series and finished the first and second chapters this year, with the third waiting on the Steam Winter Sale! The soundtrack overall is pretty good, but one of the leitmotifs, "The Whereabouts of Light", is just absolutely gorgeous and forms the melody for this piece, arranged beautifully and sentimentally for piano. Enjoy! :)

Day 1:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - "Confession"