[GCN] Pokémon Colosseum - "Normal Battle" by Kricketune54

Started by Zeta, July 09, 2020, 10:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 24, 2020, 09:17:19 PMIf I'm understanding correctly, you recommend the voices be combined 13-20 so that the whole note (second voice) is the same rhythm as the top notes of LH (first voice)?

Yeah, that was my suggestion. You can keep it as is if you'd like, but I thought it might be nice to keep the rhythm going in the low register, since m1-12 has a constant rhythm going on in the low register too.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

All changes have been made!  I changed 13-20 LH per your recommendations

mastersuperfan

- In m1-4, the LH notes with the martellato accents should have their staccatos deleted.
- In m1-4, you could also add staccatos to the RH notes if you wanted.
- For m7/11 LH Layer 1 beat 1, I meant to suggest to turn the dyad into a held, non-staccato dotted quarter note to keep the voice legato and like in m5-6. (That said, if you prefer to keep it staccato instead, changing it back to an eighth note would probably be better than a staccato'd quarter note.)
- In m12 RH, the quarter note on beat 3 still needs to be flipped down, the tie should be flipped up, and the dotted half rest in Layer 2 should be hidden.
- In m13-19 LH, it looks like Layer 2 is still present even though it doesn't have anything. The notes should all be flipped downwards, and the quarter rests should be moved back on the staff; this is supposed to happen automatically if you completely delete Layer 2.
- You could also (but don't have to) incorporate the low LH notes (currently half notes) in m20 directly into the top layer's rhythm like you did in m13-19.
- In m20, I think the RH chord on beat 3.5 (Bb-D-G) is also re-articulated on beat 4.
- I'm pretty sure m29 was right the way it was before except for the first chord on beat 1. I meant to say that only the first chord beat 1 needed to be changed to G-D-G (all of the other chords were already right before).
- The measure distribution got messed up. It would probably be best for the first system on the second page to have one extra measure so that there isn't a one-measure system at the end. However, if you can't change this on Notepad, just let me know and I'll get it along with the staff/system spacing once all the other fixes have been made.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Thanks for the feedback once again!  Reuploaded and addressed all comments to the best of Notepad's ability...

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 28, 2020, 07:08:19 PM- In m12 RH, the quarter note on beat 3 still needs to be flipped down, the tie should be flipped up, and the dotted half rest in Layer 2 should be hidden.
I could not seem to get this tie to cooperate in Notepad, so I was unable to flip that up while also having the notes flipped correctly.  That's probably going to need to happen with Finale.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 28, 2020, 07:08:19 PM- In m20, I think the RH chord on beat 3.5 (Bb-D-G) is also re-articulated on beat 4.
I honestly did not understand this parcticular bit of feedback by what you meant by re-articulated.  Did you want me to take out the Bb and put it in a second voice so that it lands like the part in the original song where the Bb horn part lands on beat 2 of m20?  I did not change this in the file.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 28, 2020, 07:08:19 PM- The measure distribution got messed up. It would probably be best for the first system on the second page to have one extra measure so that there isn't a one-measure system at the end. However, if you can't change this on Notepad, just let me know and I'll get it along with the staff/system spacing once all the other fixes have been made.

I'm not sure how it got messed up, but I also wasn't able to fix it.  Notepad has no way to move measures around efficiently, and while I did try copy paste methods, I was unable to rectify this, so I will have to turn it over to you for this part.

mastersuperfan

Almost there!
- In m29 RH, the middle note of the first chord should still be D instead of Bn (G-D-G instead of G-Bn-G).
- I believe the second-to-last chord in m29 RH (beat 4) should be A#-C#-A# instead of F#-A#-F#.
- In m23/25 LH, you might consider changing the quarter note on beat 3.5 to an eighth note instead. This keeps it consistent with the other notes (writing it as a quarter note suggests that it should be played differently from the staccato'd eighth notes, which isn't really the case). Writing it as a quarter note doesn't really improve readability here since it doesn't fall directly on a beat anyway.
- m13-19 sound a little empty on beat 4 since the LH cuts out there. You might consider having the chord play again on beat 4 (example 1), or at least tying the last chord in each measure over beat 4 (example 2). See below:
Example 1

[close]
Example 2

[close]

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 30, 2020, 08:18:42 PMI honestly did not understand this parcticular bit of feedback by what you meant by re-articulated.  Did you want me to take out the Bb and put it in a second voice so that it lands like the part in the original song where the Bb horn part lands on beat 2 of m20?  I did not change this in the file.
This is what I mean:

Once these last few fixes are taken care of, I can fix up the spacing, measure distribution, and m12, and then it should receive a thumbs-up from me.

Kricketune54

Fixed all above, though I'll note that with m 23 and 25 Notepad decided to attach two separated eight notes across an eighth rest...

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 30, 2020, 10:15:11 PM- m13-19 sound a little empty on beat 4 since the LH cuts out there. You might consider having the chord play again on beat 4

Went with the second version because it seems more faithful to the original

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 30, 2020, 10:15:11 PMThis is what I mean:

I really had to slow down the source song to hear this one lol, and I must say that for some reason this now really bothers me when I hear the song.  Personally I think it sounds better as a held note, not rearticulated as it seems to go against the overall rhythm structure of the piece haha

mastersuperfan

Looks good! I've gone ahead and fixed everything, including the beaming in m23/25. I also changed the tempo from q=145 to q=146 since it was closer to 146.

I went ahead and updated the files in the OP; you can download them from there. Let me know if I missed anything or if anything seems off. (The articulations might look weird if you open them in Notepad; if so, another updater can fix them once everything else has been checked.)

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 31, 2020, 07:25:16 PMI really had to slow down the source song to hear this one lol, and I must say that for some reason this now really bothers me when I hear the song.  Personally I think it sounds better as a held note, not rearticulated as it seems to go against the overall rhythm structure of the piece haha
No worries! If you prefer it the way you had it originally, that's valid too. I changed it back for you.

Anyway, if you're happy with the updated files I posted, I'll approve this one.

EDIT: Updated again to fix a staccato

Also,
Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 23, 2020, 03:36:22 PM- For m7/11 LH beat 1, I would change the Eb-B dyad from an eighth note into a dotted quarter note in order to keep the LH continuous. It's true that, in the original track, it's staccato, but when both the melody and LH dyad are staccato in the sheet, beats 1.5-2 feel a bit empty to me.
After listening to the original track enough, I can see why having the Eb-B dyad as an eighth note might be good too (it keeps the "bounciness" on that beat from the original track). Feel free to change it back to an eighth note if you would prefer to stick more closely to the original; ultimately, I think either way is just as good.

Kricketune54

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 31, 2020, 08:35:09 PMAlso,After listening to the original track enough, I can see why having the Eb-B dyad as an eighth note might be good too (it keeps the "bounciness" on that beat from the original track). Feel free to change it back to an eighth note if you would prefer to stick more closely to the original; ultimately, I think either way is just as good.

I think it's good the way you had suggested, considering LH is replicating the string part rather than the horn part.  Horn part on that measure was my original interpretation but I agree that for consistency's sake the string should be replicated.

Looks good, and thank you and Zeila for helping me through my first submission!

Static

Lots of great arranging here, really nice work. The only thing I would suggest is to make beat 3 of m14 RH a quarter note; it doesn't sound like there's an 8th rest in the original. Also, The Pokémon Company should be added to the copyright info since they also published the game.

Kricketune54

Quote from: Static on August 02, 2020, 08:30:50 PMLots of great arranging here, really nice work. The only thing I would suggest is to make beat 3 of m14 RH a quarter note; it doesn't sound like there's an 8th rest in the original. Also, The Pokémon Company should be added to the copyright info since they also published the game.

So I went ahead and fixed this and reuploaded... though NotePad flipped the board when I tried to edit m14, causing the measure spacing to be thrown a little out of wack.  Unfortunately, I think someone with real Finale is also going to have to reset the piece's articulation because opening the file edited by mastersuperfan in NotePad apparently did not carry that over  ::)

Also not sure if it's an issue but the m and o in Pokémon are currently practicing social distancing in the copyright line

mastersuperfan

Static

Looks great, and thanks msf. I think I'll be accepting this sheet now.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot