Series: Xeno
Game: Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
Console: PlayStation 2
Title: U.M.N. MODE
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Now finally all of the Xeno subseries are here...

Edit: Here's a new video, just noticed the old one was taken down.

Libera

Nice sheet, this is a funny one to fit onto piano.

-I would suggest using the same rhythm/pattern in 1/3 as you do in 2/4 but still introduce the chord on beat 3.5 as you do at the moment.  Currently, those bars feel a bit wonky towards the end due to the missing rhythms, at least in my opinion.
-There's a high E on top of the A in bar 3 that might be nice to add (as in move the E up the octave and the D if you want to as well).
-It feels a bit weird only getting half of the melody (?) strings notes in 5-12 and you could add most of the notes in on top of what you've already written in without it becoming particularly awakward.
-Could we align the dynamics in the pickup and bars 5/13 with beat 1?

Separately to the sheet, could we just call this game Xenosaga Episode I?  Der Wille zur Macht is more like a subtitle I feel and it seems clunky.  For example, Wikipedia titles it how I'm suggesting also.

Static

Quote from: Libera on July 31, 2020, 03:03:07 PM-I would suggest using the same rhythm/pattern in 1/3 as you do in 2/4 but still introduce the chord on beat 3.5 as you do at the moment.  Currently, those bars feel a bit wonky towards the end due to the missing rhythms, at least in my opinion.
Done. I simplified it into one layer, but with the pedal it should sound the same.

Quote from: Libera on July 31, 2020, 03:03:07 PM-There's a high E on top of the A in bar 3 that might be nice to add (as in move the E up the octave and the D if you want to as well).
Oh yeah that sounds good. Done.

Quote from: Libera on July 31, 2020, 03:03:07 PM-It feels a bit weird only getting half of the melody (?) strings notes in 5-12 and you could add most of the notes in on top of what you've already written in without it becoming particularly awakward.
I arranged it so that the RH would just be playing the repeating ostinato the whole time. While it is possible to have it play the extra notes on beat 3, I don't think it's as comfortable to play. The LH could play them too but then there's not a lot of time to go from the bass part to the high notes.

Quote from: Libera on July 31, 2020, 03:03:07 PM-Could we align the dynamics in the pickup and bars 5/13 with beat 1?
Fixed.

Quote from: Libera on July 31, 2020, 03:03:07 PMSeparately to the sheet, could we just call this game Xenosaga Episode I?  Der Wille zur Macht is more like a subtitle I feel and it seems clunky.  For example, Wikipedia titles it how I'm suggesting also.
In the first line of the article the subtitle is included, and it is also present in the original Japanese title as Chikara e no Ishi. I agree that it's kind of weird, but I also don't really see a reason to remove it since we typically include subtitles for other games here such as Dragon Quest.

mastersuperfan

This is a cool sheet.

- The pedal markings between m3 and m4 are not completely connected.
- Could you spread the staves apart a little bit more in m5-6 just to give that poor dynamic marking a bit more room?
- I'm not sure about explicitly labeling the upper part with "LH" in m5. I could definitely see a lot of players finding it more natural to play the upper part with the RH and the lower part with the LH, instead of crossing hands. Maybe it's best left up to interpretation?
- I don't like how stretched m16-17 look compared to m13-15 and m18-20. How about giving three measures to the second-to-last system, leave only two measures in the last system, and then shorten the width of the last system so it doesn't span across the whole page?
- Maybe you could move the D.S. a bit more to the right, closer to the barline and further from the stems.
- m5-12 LH beat 4 is actually a 16th-16th-8th rhythm (E-D-E) rather than just a quarter note. I don't really see a reason not to include this since the low D from beat 2.75 is already being sustained by the pedal.
- This is definitely a bit of a creative liberty and a personal suggestion that I don't really expect you to incorporate, but maybe it would be cool to add this extra note in the LH in m13/15/17/19 to mimic the percussion that plays at that moment:
Spoiler
[close]

I believe that is all I have to say.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Libera

Quote from: Static on August 02, 2020, 01:33:13 PMI arranged it so that the RH would just be playing the repeating ostinato the whole time. While it is possible to have it play the extra notes on beat 3, I don't think it's as comfortable to play. The LH could play them too but then there's not a lot of time to go from the bass part to the high notes.

How about writing them in as optional notes (e.g. small noteheads)?  It just feels odd to have the most prominent line in that section be notated incompletely.

Quote from: Static on August 02, 2020, 01:33:13 PMIn the first line of the article the subtitle is included, and it is also present in the original Japanese title as Chikara e no Ishi. I agree that it's kind of weird, but I also don't really see a reason to remove it since we typically include subtitles for other games here such as Dragon Quest.

Yes it's included in full in the main body of the text, but they truncate it for the page name for (presumably) the exact same reason I'd like to truncate it.  It's going to look really weird on the Xeno series page next to the other games with the title being that long...  Maybe we could truncate it for the on-site name, but keep the full title on the sheets?

Other than that I don't think I have anything more to say here regarding the sheet.

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 03, 2020, 12:19:58 AM- The pedal markings between m3 and m4 are not completely connected.
- Could you spread the staves apart a little bit more in m5-6 just to give that poor dynamic marking a bit more room?
- I'm not sure about explicitly labeling the upper part with "LH" in m5. I could definitely see a lot of players finding it more natural to play the upper part with the RH and the lower part with the LH, instead of crossing hands. Maybe it's best left up to interpretation?
- I don't like how stretched m16-17 look compared to m13-15 and m18-20. How about giving three measures to the second-to-last system, leave only two measures in the last system, and then shorten the width of the last system so it doesn't span across the whole page?
- Maybe you could move the D.S. a bit more to the right, closer to the barline and further from the stems.
- m5-12 LH beat 4 is actually a 16th-16th-8th rhythm (E-D-E) rather than just a quarter note. I don't really see a reason not to include this since the low D from beat 2.75 is already being sustained by the pedal.
- This is definitely a bit of a creative liberty and a personal suggestion that I don't really expect you to incorporate, but maybe it would be cool to add this extra note in the LH in m13/15/17/19 to mimic the percussion that plays at that moment:
- Fixed.
- This is why I had the dynamic marking off to the side instead of between the staves in this measure earlier, but I'll do that instead.
- Hm, I suppose. I'll remove it.
- I don't like having systems that only span half a page, I just think it looks weird and if I don't have to do it I prefer not to. I don't think it looks very stretched anyway, m1-4 are almost the same thing and those look fine.
- Done.
- I am aware, but I left out those notes because it sounds muddy with the pedal. It also gives plenty of time for the LH to move up for the next measure.
- That sounds pretty cool.

Quote from: Libera on August 03, 2020, 07:30:11 AM- How about writing them in as optional notes (e.g. small noteheads)?  It just feels odd to have the most prominent line in that section be notated incompletely.
- Yes it's included in full in the main body of the text, but they truncate it for the page name for (presumably) the exact same reason I'd like to truncate it.  It's going to look really weird on the Xeno series page next to the other games with the title being that long...  Maybe we could truncate it for the on-site name, but keep the full title on the sheets?
- Sure.
- Hm, having the titles not match seems weird too... The title will look weird now, sure, but eventually as more Xenosaga sheets get submitted it'll look fine. II and III have their own subtitles as well.

mastersuperfan

Talked to Static about flipping beat 2 down in measures where Layer 2 has two half notes.

Looks nice now. I approve

Also I think including the subtitle is fine; they're included for lots of games on-site already
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot