NinSheetMusic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: [DC] Wacky Races - "Snow Hope Village" by ShyYoshiGuy  (Read 225 times)

Zeta

• NSM Bot
  • Nintendo Nocturne
    • View Profile
[DC] Wacky Races - "Snow Hope Village" by ShyYoshiGuy
« on: August 04, 2020, 10:26:22 PM »

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Wacky Races
Console: Dreamcast
Title: Snow Hope Village
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: ShyYoshiGuy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 03:27:11 AM by ShyYoshiGuy »

ShyYoshiGuy

• Elite Four Elegy
  • Guguuh!
    • View Profile
    • PA Thread
    • Email
Re: [DC] Wacky Races - "Snow Hope Village" by ShyYoshiGuy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:35:01 PM »

Welcome to the next round of the Snowfall Peaks Wacky Cup Challenge!

Once again, while Glacier Lake indeed uses this theme, Snow Hope Village is the first track on the sign post to use it.

https://youtu.be/-34vwUtMTTM

I tried to use feedback from Snow La Coasta on this sheet, mostly using articulations and dynamics. I may have went a little overboard with them though, heh. I don't have much experience with accents/staccatos, and I still don't fully understand how crescendos work.
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements
SW-3981-0440-6037

mastersuperfan

• Sleepless College Student
  • Updater
  • Ordon Overture
  • 11037-41205
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 03:58:36 AM »

I tried to use feedback from Snow La Coasta on this sheet, mostly using articulations and dynamics. I may have went a little overboard with them though, heh. I don't have much experience with accents/staccatos, and I still don't fully understand how crescendos work.
It's good that you kept it in mind! However, now there are way too many accents; instead, they should be used sparingly. Having an accent on beat 1 of every measure from m1-10 and m51-62 is excessive, especially given that downbeats are always accented naturally. Having accents on every LH note in m51-62 is excessive as well. However, the accents in m15-29 are more appropriate since those notes are played in a very strong, punchy fashion in the original.

You should also avoid using staccatos on dotted notes or tied notes most of the time, since dots/ties and staccatos have opposing effects and look strange together on paper. For example, the second half of m9/40 would be better written as (staccato'd 8th note) - (16th rest) - (16th note without staccato) - (8th rest) - (staccato'd 8th note), instead of staccato'd dotted and tied notes. (m9 and m40 are also measures where you could add accents on ALL the RH notes, not just beats 1 and 3, since all of them are played strongly.)

Meanwhile, m51-62 would be a good place to add staccatos to the melody, since some notes are shorter and more bouncy than others. Listen carefully for those notes to figure out where the staccatos should go.

The main thing I have to say about this sheet is that you're missing a lot of harmonies in the RH. Often, there are multiple voices or chords in the original, whereas you only write one voice into the RH in most places. If you haven't already been using it or a similar too, I recommend using the AudioStretch app for iOS or Android to slow down the audio and listen more carefully to the notes. The full app costs money, but there's a free lite version for iOS.

Here are some of the places where there are extra harmonies (see if you can listen closely and pick them out yourself):
- In m4 (and m35), there are thirds above the melody in the RH, starting with F# above the D on beat 1.
- In m9 (and m40), the RH also plays the third of each chord, and the LH also plays the fifth of each chord. The first two beats should look like this:
Spoiler
[close]
- In m11-14, there are more notes under what you've written:
Spoiler
[close]
- In m15-29 RH, a lot of the bottom notes are inaccurate. In m16, they should be F and E (thirds) instead of C and C. In m17, it should be D instead of B. In m20-21, they should be D, E, and D (fourths) instead of C, C, and B.
- Continuing on in m23: In m23 I would advise adding another C to the bottom as well (same goes for m27). In m24, beats 3-4 are triads with D and F on the bottom, instead of C. m25 should also have an E between the C and G. m28-29 are all triads: m28 beat 3 and m29 should have an E between the C and G, and m28 beat 4 should have an F betwen the C and A.
- In m31, I would suggest doubling the RH an octave up; also, the offbeat 8th notes should all be lowered an octave (see image below.) This would also be a good measure to add accents on all notes in the RH.
Spoiler
[close]
- There's a lot more going on in m42-50 RH than what you've got. This is what's happening on m42-45 (also notice that the three-note pickup at the end of m45 is played by the RH too, not just the LH). See if you can hear all that and then fill in m46-50 in the same way.
Spoiler
[close]
- For m63-78, see what I said for m15-29. Also, I would raise the high piano line in m65-66/69-70/73-74/77-78 up one octave to match the original, even if you have to omit the first eighth note of the piano line on beat 1 for playability's sake.

I would also advise you to check the bassline carefully again, as there are some places where it's inaccurate. For example:
- In m4 (and m35), the LH should be lowered an octave, and it also has extra 8th notes that you're missing:
Spoiler
[close]
- In m5 (and m36), the LH line is the same as the RH eighth-note line, transposed down, instead of the quarter notes you have.
- In m6-8 (and m37-39), beats 2 (G) and 4 (F) should be transposed an octave down.
- The bassline in m23-30 is not the same as m15-22. (Likewise, the bassline in m71-78 is not the same either.)
- In m10 (and m41), the LH line is once again the same as the RH, except transposed down (i.e. eighth notes instead of half notes). Also, LH beats 3-4 are an octave lower than beats 1-2.
- The end of m45 and m49 LH don't sound staccato to me.
- m51-54 should all be lowered an octave. m52 should be an F instead of a D#. Also, there is a fifth above each note (i.e. m51 should be C and G, m52 should be F and C, etc.).
- Beats 1 and 3 of m56/60 should be lowered an octave. m57/61 has a different rhythm on beats 3-4 and should look like this:
Spoiler
[close]
- Beats 3-4 of m58/62 LH have eighth notes (C-G-A-B) instead of quarter notes
- I didn't check every measure on the bassline, so please please please go through the whole bassline again (raising the audio by an octave in a program like AudioStretch or Audacity can help) and carefully check/retranscribe all the notes accordingly.

Also, m55-62 should be written as a single four-measure phrase with a repeat sign and a note that says "Repeat 3 times," since all three four-measure phrases are identical.
there's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
The difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

ShyYoshiGuy

• Elite Four Elegy
  • Guguuh!
    • View Profile
    • PA Thread
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 03:16:31 PM »

Oof, caught me the day after I put my computer away, so my response isn’t gonna be so quick this time. Probably still within a week though, anyways. Thank you for the feedback, heh. I’m always shocked by how much there could possibly be, but to be fair I’ve just started this.

The main thing I have to say about this sheet is that you're missing a lot of harmonies in the RH. Often, there are multiple voices or chords in the original, whereas you only write one voice into the RH in most places. If you haven't already been using it or a similar too, I recommend using the AudioStretch app for iOS or Android to slow down the audio and listen more carefully to the notes. The full app costs money, but there's a free lite version for iOS.

Bought the full app a while ago, my sheets definitely wouldn’t have been possible without it, heh.

- In m15-29 RH, a lot of the bottom notes are inaccurate. In m16, they should be F and E (thirds) instead of C and C. In m17, it should be D instead of B. In m20-21, they should be D, E, and D (fourths) instead of C, C, and B.
- The bassline in m23-30 is not the same as m15-22. (Likewise, the bassline in m71-78 is not the same either.)
- I didn't check every measure on the bassline, so please please please go through the whole bassline again (raising the audio by an octave in a program like AudioStretch or Audacity can help) and carefully check/retranscribe all the notes accordingly.

One of those cases where I think it’s the same, copy/paste it, and not notice the difference in playback. Ok, I’ll check the bassline.

Also, m55-62 should be written as a single four-measure phrase with a repeat sign and a note that says "Repeat 3 times," since all three four-measure phrases are identical.

That’s allowed? Sweet. Is there a way to rig the MIDI up so it knows to read it thrice?

Edit 8/29/2020: No need for a bump, I’ve not forgotten about this. I addressed all the feedback except retranscribing the baseline. I hope to be done by when school starts Tuesday.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:57:37 PM by ShyYoshiGuy »
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements
SW-3981-0440-6037

ShyYoshiGuy

• Elite Four Elegy
  • Guguuh!
    • View Profile
    • PA Thread
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 03:16:42 AM »

Sorry for the long wait, eh. School's started and I've had a lot of things to do. A week turned into a month, lol. Anyways, ye cool, I went back to each note in the bassline and it seems to be good now. In editing other things, I may have screwed some things up, oof. I'll update my sheet shortly (tonight), you'll know it's the one if it has 9/17 in the title.

Edit: Oh yeah, and:
That’s allowed? Sweet. Is there a way to rig the MIDI up so it knows to read it thrice?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 03:24:34 AM by ShyYoshiGuy »
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements
SW-3981-0440-6037

mastersuperfan

• Sleepless College Student
  • Updater
  • Ordon Overture
  • 11037-41205
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 04:50:30 AM »

Oh yeah, that. If you have full Finale, you should just be able to click on the repeat sign and select the option that says "play section 2 times," and then change the 2 to a 3.
there's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
The difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

ShyYoshiGuy

• Elite Four Elegy
  • Guguuh!
    • View Profile
    • PA Thread
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »

Oh yeah, that. If you have full Finale, you should just be able to click on the repeat sign and select the option that says "play section 2 times," and then change the 2 to a 3.

Welp, I don’t have full Finale. I’m glad there’s the option though because the song would sound odd without the extra loop.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements
SW-3981-0440-6037

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 38 queries.