Game: Xenogears
Console: PlayStation
Title: October Mermaid
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

Static

Really really great arrangement here, you did an awesome job capturing this song.

My one complaint is that the melody gets obscured in m26; maybe just keep the lower G there, or move the E to another layer so the performer knows to give it priority. Also, the tempo at m28 is a bit faster, it should be around 65bpm.

Latios212

Could resist peeking at this one, I love Yasunori Mitsuda's stuff :P This is a really cool piece and a well done sheet as well.

A few things I noticed while listening/scrolling through:
- Some of the eighth rests (m. 9, 11, 20, 24) are in between staff lines as opposed to on them (or the other way around, I forget)
- m. 15 is missing the bass pickup to m. 16. (A double barline would also go nicely here if you want)
- m. 26 and 36 LH are missing fermatas.
- I'm usually not the one suggesting this, but I think a D.C. at the end of this piece would be more suitable than a repeat bar - due to the different sections of the piece and the last measure not having a strictly time ending.

Also why is this video titled "June Mermaid"?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

There are multiple different translations for track titles in this game (you can see some here), but the original Japanese name is "神無月の人魚", which directly translates to "October Mermaid" (or "Mermaid of October"). I have no idea how the June name got so popular.

Libera

Quote from: Static on August 09, 2020, 04:47:32 PMMy one complaint is that the melody gets obscured in m26; maybe just keep the lower G there, or move the E to another layer so the performer knows to give it priority. Also, the tempo at m28 is a bit faster, it should be around 65bpm.

I realised I forgot to write in the upper layer in bar 25 so I added that in, but since the top G just hangs over into 26 it's not worth restriking so I just removed the top G in 26 to make the resolution clearer, as you suggested.  I added a poco agitato rather than a metronome marking at 28 since it's a really small change bpm wise.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 09, 2020, 05:03:03 PMCould resist peeking at this one, I love Yasunori Mitsuda's stuff :P This is a really cool piece and a well done sheet as well.

Could resist but didn't, eh?

Quote from: Latios212 on August 09, 2020, 05:03:03 PM- m. 15 is missing the bass pickup to m. 16. (A double barline would also go nicely here if you want)
- m. 26 and 36 LH are missing fermatas.
- I'm usually not the one suggesting this, but I think a D.C. at the end of this piece would be more suitable than a repeat bar - due to the different sections of the piece and the last measure not having a strictly time ending.

Fixed these.  I don't really mind about the repeat marking either way so I changed that too.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 09, 2020, 05:03:03 PM- Some of the eighth rests (m. 9, 11, 20, 24) are in between staff lines as opposed to on them (or the other way around, I forget)

I tried to be pretty consistent with the rests when I was writing this up.  I lowered the ones you mentioned because I felt they looked too close to the first layer's notes (G or lower and I lowered the rest.)  Or is the issue that you'd prefer me to lower those once more so that they're not on a staff line?  I can do that if that's what you wanted, but I don't really want to place them where the other ones are.

Thanks for having a look/checking guys!

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on August 09, 2020, 05:03:03 PMCould resist peeking at this one, I love Yasunori Mitsuda's stuff :P This is a really cool piece and a well done sheet as well.
Quote from: Libera on August 10, 2020, 01:40:12 AMCould resist but didn't, eh?
oops lol

Quote from: Latios212 on August 09, 2020, 05:03:03 PM- Some of the eighth rests (m. 9, 11, 20, 24) are in between staff lines as opposed to on them (or the other way around, I forget)
Quote from: Libera on August 10, 2020, 01:40:12 AMI tried to be pretty consistent with the rests when I was writing this up.  I lowered the ones you mentioned because I felt they looked too close to the first layer's notes (G or lower and I lowered the rest.) Or is the issue that you'd prefer me to lower those once more so that they're not on a staff line?  I can do that if that's what you wanted, but I don't really want to place them where the other ones are.
Yep, just the thing bolded above. I think I remember Deku pointing that out once - that when possible it should be placed where it overlaps one staff line instead of two. Super small thing but I just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Also I think the second layer in m. 15 LH would be nicer entirely on the staff.

Aside from these small things the sheet looks great :) (though I haven't checked notes lol)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on August 10, 2020, 09:22:30 AMYep, just the thing bolded above. I think I remember Deku pointing that out once - that when possible it should be placed where it overlaps one staff line instead of two. Super small thing but I just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Makes sense to me.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 10, 2020, 09:22:30 AMAlso I think the second layer in m. 15 LH would be nicer entirely on the staff.

Definitely, I just wasn't paying attention when I added that note in.

New files up.

Static

Maelstrom

I hear 3rd harmonies below in m12 b3 and 4.5 also.

Aside from that, it's perfect. Excellent work, and a beautiful arrangement.

Libera

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 07, 2020, 03:06:43 PMI hear 3rd harmonies below in m12 b3 and 4.5 also.

I don't hear a C on beat 4.5 of bar 12.  I think the Bb might dip back down to an A there instead (which I've now added).

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 07, 2020, 03:06:43 PMAside from that, it's perfect. Excellent work, and a beautiful arrangement.

Thanks!  And thanks for checking it over!

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot