[NDS] Gyakuten Kenji 2 - "Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth" by mastersuperfan

Started by Zeta, August 22, 2020, 07:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Ace Attorney
Game: Gyakuten Kenji 2
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: mastersuperfan

[attachment deleted by admin]

mastersuperfan

sometime we need to get around to changing the on-site game title to Gyakuten Kenji 2

Also, friendly reminder that I use v26 so the articulations in the MUSX will probably not look right
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dekkadeci

Good work here!

I personally find the topmost accented RH notes in Bars 7-8 to be C instead of the G you have. In the recording, B flat is prominently heard as a loud note - if not the loudest note - in those chords, although your accented RH chords there do contain that B flat.

I also find the use of a quarter note instead of two eighth notes for Beat 4 of the LH of Bars 44, 46, and 48 to be kinda jarring and to rob the transcription of its momentum there. (The accompaniment of the original at Bar 50 actually uses a quarter note, so you're safe there.)

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 22, 2020, 09:42:55 PMGood work here!

I personally find the topmost accented RH notes in Bars 7-8 to be C instead of the G you have. In the recording, B flat is prominently heard as a loud note - if not the loudest note - in those chords, although your accented RH chords there do contain that B flat.

I also find the use of a quarter note instead of two eighth notes for Beat 4 of the LH of Bars 44, 46, and 48 to be kinda jarring and to rob the transcription of its momentum there. (The accompaniment of the original at Bar 50 actually uses a quarter note, so you're safe there.)

I do agree that the most accented note in RH m7-8 is C. However, I felt that any inversion where C was the topmost note didn't feel strong enough—if I move the Eb and G an octave down, the entire chord feels too low, and if I move the Bb and C an octave up, the entire chord feels too high. I thought this inversion would be best, even if the Bb and C aren't on top (the LH partly makes up for it by also emphasizing C). This is what I felt was truest to the original, but if others believe otherwise, I might be convinced.

m44/46 LH beat 4 actually is a quarter note in the original instead of two eighths. That said, I went ahead and added another eighth note to the end of m44/46/48 anyway.

Thanks for taking a look!

edit: also added some dynamics in m6-7
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

Ped in the breakdown section from m25-32?
Not sure what's going on  with the bassline in m8. Personally, I think it'd be fine if it just mostly mirrored the RH. At the very least, make it so that you don't have the 16th to a repeated note. Those are nasty in a tempo this fast.
m16 - Staccato+accent on RH b2.5?
m21-m22 LH - I think there's a lot to be gained by ignoring the pattern you had previously and following the bass guitar here instead, because it does some interesting things musically that would be a shame to leave out.
m41 b1 - I was really confused by this LH chord at first. It appears like it's part of the run that follows, but it isn't at all. I'd recommend adding a staccato or accent or both to show it's percussive nature, or take it out entirely.
m43 etc - I'd recommend adding the As back in on beats 2 and 3.5. I don't think they make it too muddy and, as it is now, it feels like the bassline is being rudely interrupted by the 4ths.

aaaaaaaaand that's it. Nice work.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 14, 2020, 04:07:49 PMPed in the breakdown section from m25-32?
I think that pedal usage is implied here and didn't feel the need to write it out (to avoid having to write a senza ped. later, since very brief uses of pedal might be helpful in other sections for playability; and also so that the pianist wouldn't try to overpedal for too long at a time without changing the pedal). I'm happy with leaving it up to the player's interpretation, but if you or someone else feels strongly about indicating pedal usage, I could include it.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 14, 2020, 04:07:49 PMNot sure what's going on  with the bassline in m8. Personally, I think it'd be fine if it just mostly mirrored the RH. At the very least, make it so that you don't have the 16th to a repeated note. Those are nasty in a tempo this fast.
Intended to mimic the percussion. I raised the first sixteenth note up an octave. I like how it sounds now, but if you don't like the pattern on beat 1, I'd be okay with removing it. I'd rather keep the eighth-note pattern starting on beat 2 though.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 14, 2020, 04:07:49 PMm16 - Staccato+accent on RH b2.5?
Added. I also added a tenuto on beat 3.5 for contrast.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 14, 2020, 04:07:49 PMm21-m22 LH - I think there's a lot to be gained by ignoring the pattern you had previously and following the bass guitar here instead, because it does some interesting things musically that would be a shame to leave out.
I didn't change the LH to the bass guitar verbatim, but I changed the rhythm to put more emphasis on the bass guitar's pattern.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 14, 2020, 04:07:49 PMm41 b1 - I was really confused by this LH chord at first. It appears like it's part of the run that follows, but it isn't at all. I'd recommend adding a staccato or accent or both to show it's percussive nature, or take it out entirely.
I put both a staccato and an accent on it.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 14, 2020, 04:07:49 PMm43 etc - I'd recommend adding the As back in on beats 2 and 3.5. I don't think they make it too muddy and, as it is now, it feels like the bassline is being rudely interrupted by the 4ths.
I still think it sounds a bit too muddy with all three notes, so I just replaced the C's with A's on those beats.

Maelstrom

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 14, 2020, 10:56:42 PMI didn't change the LH to the bass guitar verbatim, but I changed the rhythm to put more emphasis on the bass guitar's pattern.
This sounds really great now tbh

I remember having this discussion before.... We can have the next person check it as well, but I firmly belive that if someone would use ped for playability, a senza ped will not stop them. However, I think the number of people who don't get the implied pedal is far, far greater than people who think senza ped means they can't use it again for playability purposes. Hell, if you want, you can just add ped markings to that section and end it with a raise ped marking, either the smartshape or the articulation, and it wouldn't imply a full senza ped.

Everything else looks fine. If you/the next updater can resolve this in a satisfactory manner, I'll approve it

mastersuperfan

Maelstrom

Zeta