[MOB] Pokémon Masters EX - "Battle! (Champions Cynthia/Lance/Steven)" by Zeila

Started by Zeta, September 07, 2020, 07:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Masters EX
Console: Mobile
Title: Battle! (Champions Cynthia/Lance/Steven)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Zeila

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zeila

I only discovered the music because of that hashtag lol, but anyways I derived the title from the naming conventions of past Pokémon songs like "Battle! (Azelf/Mesprit/Uxie)" since I don't think there are official titles yet. Also I'm not sure about the LH in measures 39-46

Latios212

This is a pretty cool remix, the parts flow together nicely (though that's probably just a testament to the compositional style of Pokémon battle themes haha). Title sounds okay to me, but does this actually play when battling these three? Just curious. Also is there a reason to the order?

Anyway, feedback:
- Credit the original composer (Jun'ichi Masuda for all three)
- If you want, you can label the respective sections. I think it'd be neat, although I guess you could forego them if there isn't enough space.
  - m. 1: Cynthia
  - m. 3: Steven
  - m. 11: Cynthia
  - m. 27: Lance
  - m. 39: Steven
  - m. 57: Lance
- Stem-centered staccatos!
- Not sure if it's just something funny on my end, but the tempo of the playback gets messed up on the repeat
- Hearing last LH note of m. 2 as an An (higher) rather than E
- m. 12/20 - beats 2 and 4 in RH should both be Fx
- m. 34 - I think the 16th run at the end begins E-E# instead of D#-E?
- m. 35-38 - spell the first triad as Fm instead - keeps the intervals consistent with the rest of the chords
- m. 49-54 RH is super high, and also is an octave jump up from the original contour. I would recommend lowering them. Also for this section I would suggest adding the lower octaves. You can also lower the LH an octave in m. 49-50 to accommodate.
- Move the key change back to G#m to m. 55 instead of m. 47?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeila

Quote from: Latios212 on September 19, 2020, 09:32:00 AMThis is a pretty cool remix, the parts flow together nicely (though that's probably just a testament to the compositional style of Pokémon battle themes haha). Title sounds okay to me, but does this actually play when battling these three? Just curious. Also is there a reason to the order?
Lol yeah I think you're right about the compositional style lending well to the transitions between the themes. It plays when you do a full force battle against the three where all of them have their own partners and they get replaced upon fainting. Also, the title is just in alphabetical order but it seems like they appear in-game as Lance -> Cynthia -> Steven since that's what it is for a few videos

Quote from: Latios212 on September 19, 2020, 09:32:00 AM- Not sure if it's just something funny on my end, but the tempo of the playback gets messed up on the repeat
That's not happening to me with this sheet, although in the past I've encountered hidden MIDI playback (or some other bug?) that would always refer to the playback tempo unless I messed with human playback settings

Quote from: Latios212 on September 19, 2020, 09:32:00 AM- m. 34 - I think the 16th run at the end begins E-E# instead of D#-E?
Yeah I think you're right, it's fixed

Quote from: Latios212 on September 19, 2020, 09:32:00 AM- m. 49-54 RH is super high, and also is an octave jump up from the original contour. I would recommend lowering them. Also for this section I would suggest adding the lower octaves. You can also lower the LH an octave in m. 49-50 to accommodate.
Sure, those are good suggestions. Done

Quote from: Latios212 on September 19, 2020, 09:32:00 AM- Credit the original composer (Jun'ichi Masuda for all three)
- If you want, you can label the respective sections. I think it'd be neat, although I guess you could forego them if there isn't enough space.
- Stem-centered staccatos!
- Hearing last LH note of m. 2 as an An (higher) rather than E
- m. 12/20 - beats 2 and 4 in RH should both be Fx
- m. 35-38 - spell the first triad as Fm instead - keeps the intervals consistent with the rest of the chords
- Move the key change back to G#m to m. 55 instead of m. 47?
Updated, thanks!

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on September 19, 2020, 09:32:00 AM- Not sure if it's just something funny on my end, but the tempo of the playback gets messed up on the repeat
This is also happening to me, but if it's not happening on your end, it's probably not that important.

- The first two measures start out slowly and accelerate up to a tempo of BPM 187. Maybe indicate this somehow? (Maybe put a slower tempo marking and "accel." in m1 and q=187 in m3.)
- Were the harmonies under the melody omitted from the RH eighth/quarter notes in m11-26 for playability reasons?
- The bassline does some new stuff in m24/26 if you wanted to change it up a little. It's also fine as is though.
- m35 LH beat 4.5 accidental is close to touching beat 4. I would suggest adding a little bit of extra space to the end of the measure and moving beat 4.5 to the right.
- m36 LH beat 3 sounds like a B instead of an E.
- I would move m39, m43, and m47 all to the next systems so that the last system on page 2 has three measures, Steven's section starts at the first measure on page 3, and the third system on page 3 has five measures (m47-51).
- m40/42 LH beats 1-4 and m44/46 LH beats 1-2 sound too high to me and lose the driving feel of the low notes. In these places, I would suggest lowering the eighth notes that fall on the beats by an octave.
- In m51-54 LH, you might consider beaming all the eighth notes in each measure together in groups of six. Personal preference as to whether or not to do this.
- Also add a fermata to the LH in the last measure?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Zeila

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 27, 2020, 03:49:49 PMThis is also happening to me, but if it's not happening on your end, it's probably not that important.
That's strange, but okay

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 27, 2020, 03:49:49 PM- The first two measures start out slowly and accelerate up to a tempo of BPM 187. Maybe indicate this somehow? (Maybe put a slower tempo marking and "accel." in m1 and q=187 in m3.)
I don't think it accelerates but I put the first two measures at quarter = 168

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 27, 2020, 03:49:49 PM- Were the harmonies under the melody omitted from the RH eighth/quarter notes in m11-26 for playability reasons?
Yeah

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 27, 2020, 03:49:49 PM- The bassline does some new stuff in m24/26 if you wanted to change it up a little. It's also fine as is though.
Hmm? I don't hear it tbh, but if you do then I am open to changing it to make it different from m16/18

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 27, 2020, 03:49:49 PM- m40/42 LH beats 1-4 and m44/46 LH beats 1-2 sound too high to me and lose the driving feel of the low notes. In these places, I would suggest lowering the eighth notes that fall on the beats by an octave.
I don't think they are too high in comparison to the other notes (at least with beats 1 & 2 since they sound higher than beats 1.5 and 2.5), but you're right about keeping a consistent driving feel so sure

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 27, 2020, 03:49:49 PM- m35 LH beat 4.5 accidental is close to touching beat 4. I would suggest adding a little bit of extra space to the end of the measure and moving beat 4.5 to the right.
- m36 LH beat 3 sounds like a B instead of an E.
- I would move m39, m43, and m47 all to the next systems so that the last system on page 2 has three measures, Steven's section starts at the first measure on page 3, and the third system on page 3 has five measures (m47-51).
- In m51-54 LH, you might consider beaming all the eighth notes in each measure together in groups of six. Personal preference as to whether or not to do this.
- Also add a fermata to the LH in the last measure?
Updated, thanks!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Zeila on September 28, 2020, 12:38:58 AMI don't think it accelerates but I put the first two measures at quarter = 168
Oh, you're right, it doesn't. That said, I think having one for effect might be nice to complement the crescendo. It certainly feels to me like an accel. starting in m2, even if there isn't one.

Quote from: Zeila on September 28, 2020, 12:38:58 AMHmm? I don't hear it tbh, but if you do then I am open to changing it to make it different from m16/18
Oh, turns out all it is is that beat 2.5 is B in m24 and C# in m26 rather than E and F#. It's not a big deal and I think it's fine if you want to leave them as E and F#, up to you.

That's all.

edit: one more thing, the sharp on m21 Layer 1 RH beat 4 is a bit close to the Layer 2 eighth note right before it. Maybe you could add a little bit of extra space to the measure and move beat 4 a little to the right (make sure all the notes are aligned) or, at the least, move the sharp a little to the right.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Articulation spacing in m21 has been taken care of. I'll happily accept it now (I think m2 and m24/26 are fine), but if you happen to feel strongly about changing them afterward, let me know and I can still change it.

Zeta