ShyYoshiGuy's Arrangements (New: A lot of stuff)

Started by ShyYoshiGuy, August 11, 2018, 01:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassman388

ShyYoshiGuy

"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

ShyYoshiGuy

Ok, I have a new sheet. It's not perfect, some parts are definitely wrong, but it's the best I could figure out.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Latios212

For future reference, it'd help to post what your new sheet is in the current post so people can more easily see what it is!

It's a good start, but needs a considerable amount of work. The good news is that most of what you wrote is correct.

A few major things that popped out to me initially are:
- The whole song should be in swing. Here's a file with the marking added and affecting playback
- The melody's rhythm is incorrect in measure 8
- In some places you have the left hand playing the same notes as the right hand but a couple of octaves lower. This makes the song sound quite empty, and there's generally something else you can do (for example in measure 8, there are bass notes from the voice you were writing in before that you didn't include).
- We could make the left hand part more interesting - for instance there are offbeat notes in another voice that we could put in the left hand of the first 7ish measures and other similar parts.

This is just to get you started, feel free to ask about anything (particularly the parts that you know aren't good).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ShyYoshiGuy

Bump. This soundtrack is jazzy if I do say so myself.

Edit:
Quote from: Latios212 on June 15, 2019, 03:09:48 PMFor future reference, it'd help to post what your new sheet is in the current post so people can more easily see what it is!

Lumberjack Lake - [MUS] [YouTube]
Scarecrow Creek - [MUS] [YouTube]
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

ShyYoshiGuy

New Arrangement!

Nintendo Entertainment System - California Games:
Menu - [On site]

Was hoping to submit this once a slot clears up.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

ShyYoshiGuy

Another New Arrangement!

Nintendo Wii U - Yoshi's Woolly World:
Up Shuttlethread Pass - [MUS] [MUSX] [YouTube]

Honestly surprised no one here's done this one before.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Zeila

I took a look at two of your sheets:

Menu from California Games
This looks good, just a few things
  • Missing dynamic
  • The copyright is outside of the margins and should be aligned with 0 offset
  • I would actually write this out with first and second ending brackets since the repeat seems to start at m2; once you remove some of the duplicate measures you could also bring up the staff system size a bit, and then change the measure distribution to 3-4-4-3
  • Every quarter note should have a staccato marking
  • m1 you're missing some C#'s and B's as part of the RH harmony on beats 1-2 and 3-4 respectively

Up Shuttlethread Pass
This needs quite a bit of work, but for starters:
  • Same thing with the copyright as the previous sheet, and the dynamic isn't centered with the initial note
  • You could try adding a pickup measure since that's present in the original song
  • I didn't do a super in depth check of the melody, but it seems like the notes are right. I think they should be an octave higher though, and some notes are more separated (e.g. most of the dotted quarter notes sound like they should be a quarter note + eighth note rest)
  • On the contrary, the 4-measure bass note pattern is incorrect (i.e. m1-4 and etc.). To me it sounds like this (excluding the eighth notes and chords):
    Spoiler
    [close]

Overall though it's missing out on a lot of voices that you could definitely put in like the guitar arpeggios, the glockenspiel/piano at m5-8, and others. Also I think you should definitely try and make the section at m25 stand out more, at least with a higher dynamic marking

ShyYoshiGuy

Thank you for the feedback. I'll address your comments in my sheets tomorrow. Also apparently the template I've been using is messed up, so the copyright information is in the wrong spot on every sheet. Oops, I'll fix that.

California Games-
How exactly do I fix the repeats? The only way I can wrap my head around this is using letters, so here:

A = m1
B = m2-3
C = m4-8
D = m9-11
D' = m19-21

As it stands the song goes:
A B ||: C D B C D' :||

Should it be?:
A B ||: C 1. D B :|| 2. D' :||

The song's written a little weird, the independent bassline (B) doesn't play after the second loop (D'). In my opinion, using first and second endings makes it more confusing to navigate. But if you still think I should change it, then I will.

Everything else you said about this sheet, I agree and will change as such.

Shuttlethread Pass-

I respectfully disagree about the bassline. Well, my ears are bad at determining octaves, so I concede that I might be wrong about the first beat of m1. However, the first beat of m3 sounds right. It and the previous two notes seem to make an ascending line to me.

Everything else, yeah I'll work on it. Thank you again for the feedback.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Zeila

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on July 05, 2020, 09:17:23 PMCalifornia Games-
How exactly do I fix the repeats? The only way I can wrap my head around this is using letters, so here:

A = m1
B = m2-3
C = m4-8
D = m9-11
D' = m19-21

As it stands the song goes:
A B ||: C D B C D' :||

Should it be?:
A B ||: C 1. D B :|| 2. D' :||

The song's written a little weird, the independent bassline (B) doesn't play after the second loop (D'). In my opinion, using first and second endings makes it more confusing to navigate. But if you still think I should change it, then I will.
Oops, I missed the part where the bassline doesn't repeat after the second loop so it's not as clean as I thought it would be. I still think it is worth cutting out some measures to make it less packed, so I guess you have two options:

1) use a D.S. like so
Spoiler
[close]

2) forget the D.S. and go with what you wrote/asked about; two possible measure distributions
spread out
[close]
condensed
[close]

Option 2 uses more ink/space but it is less confusing, so go with whichever one you think is better. Also, you're welcome!

ShyYoshiGuy

Ok, I've updated them. These should hopefully be better. (Oh yeah, and I fixed my template, so any future sheets shouldn't have the copyright alignment issue.)

Menu - [On site]
Up Shuttlethread Pass - [MUS] [MUSX] [YouTube]
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

ShyYoshiGuy

I've ported three new arrangements to NotePad, heh.

Oil Be Back - [MUS] [YouTube]
Snow Hope Village - [Submission topic]

Boss Theme - [MUS] [YouTube]
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

ShyYoshiGuy

Yay, I've finished the [DC] Wacky Races OST, woop!

Tombstone Pass - [MUS] [YouTube]
Miscellaneous Short Themes - [YouTube]
Miscellaneous Short Themes (to eventually be compiled into one sheet)

NotePad really wouldn't let me port this correctly, so here's a MuseScore file:
PlayStation 2 - Wacky Races: Starring Dastardly & Muttley:
Main Theme - [MSCZ] [YouTube]
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

ShyYoshiGuy

Procrastination happened and I didn't feel like porting all my sheets until now, so here:

GB/GBC/GBA - Game & Watch Gallery 0-4: (0 is Game Boy Gallery)
2 - Parachute - [Submission topic]
1 - Fire* - [MUS] [MCSZ] [YouTube (4:13)] (can't swing in NotePad)
1 - Octopus - [MUS] [YouTube (6:02)]
1 - Game & Watch Gallery - [MSCZ] [YouTube] (porting issues)
2 - Chef - [MSCZ] [YouTube] (gonna need some work)
0 - Ball - [MUS] [YouTube (1:52)]
0 - Vermin - [MUS] [YouTube (2:55)]

NES - California Games:
Half Pipe - [MUS] [YouTube]
Foot Bag - [MUS] [YouTube]
Flying Disk - [MUS] [YouTube]

Misc.:
LM3 - The Great Stage - [MUS] [YouTube]
LoZ:TP - Link is coming - [MUS] [YouTube]
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements