Game: The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Riverside
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Cashwarrior1

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

cashwarrior1

Hi, it's me again. Wow man crazy that I got two in one day, huh? Anyways, this one is pretty but making the sheet look nice sounds like a pain in the butt so I didn't put all the slur markings on those arpeggios, if someone else wants to do that they can lol. I also feel bad for anyone trying to read all those ledgers lines and the fact that 80% of the treble clef is taken up by the left hand but that's just how it be y'know?

I may be submitting another Triforce Heroes one soon but I just remembered you can only have 3 submissions at a time so I gotta pick the one I want the most

Libera

Not checking at the moment, but I just wanted to say something about a few things.

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on September 22, 2020, 02:54:55 PMI also feel bad for anyone trying to read all those ledgers lines and the fact that 80% of the treble clef is taken up by the left hand but that's just how it be y'know?

No, there are absolutely much better ways of writing this out.  The way you currently are doing it basically puts everything onto one staff 95% of the time and as such everything looks extremely cramped and messy.  Using clef changes in the left hand would allow you to spread the music out over the two staves much more evenly and makes it much clearer to read.  Here's an example of how the first two bars would look using this method:

Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on September 22, 2020, 02:54:55 PMAnyways, this one is pretty but making the sheet look nice sounds like a pain in the butt so I didn't put all the slur markings on those arpeggios

Firstly, I should say that it is literally your job to make the sheet look nice and it's not fair to expect the updaters to do it for you because you can't be bothered.  That being said, I don't think putting slurs on all of the arpeggios is that important anyway and even if you wanted to do it, you'd only have to put them on the first few and then write 'simile', so it wouldn't even be that much work.

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on September 22, 2020, 02:54:55 PMI may be submitting another Triforce Heroes one soon but I just remembered you can only have 3 submissions at a time so I gotta pick the one I want the most

You can only have two submissions at a time.  You can find information about submissions here.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2020, 03:38:49 PMNo, there are absolutely much better ways of writing this out.
Oof, I honestly didn't think it was that bad to read, a couple ledger lines above the staff aren't as bad as a couple below the staff I'd say. I changed it but now there's a whole bunch of ledger lines below the staff for the left hand and it looks messy when I try alternating clefs, so I don't know a better way to go about it.

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2020, 03:38:49 PMFirstly, I should say that it is literally your job to make the sheet look nice and it's not fair to expect the updaters to do it for you because you can't be bothered.
I don't necessarily consider this "my job" since I'm not an active member in this community. From my past experiences here, people would often apply changes to my sheet and update it without me doing anything. I personally don't think that adding slurs to the arpeggios is really necessary here, so I thought that if they were preferred/required then someone would fix it or at the very least tell me how I'd go about it.

Latios212

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on September 22, 2020, 04:29:06 PMI don't necessarily consider this "my job" since I'm not an active member in this community. From my past experiences here, people would often apply changes to my sheet and update it without me doing anything. I personally don't think that adding slurs to the arpeggios is really necessary here, so I thought that if they were preferred/required then someone would fix it or at the very least tell me how I'd go about it.
Sometimes people can if they want to help, but it's absolutely your responsibility to put in work, seek out help, and make sure your sheet is the best it can be. Think of it this way - it's your arrangement, as the sheet says, and it's discourteous to simply other ask people to do work for you if you're not willing to put in the effort yourself :P
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Okay I went over and tried making the sheet look a little nicer. I don't know if what I did is correct, I haven't had any education in notation. I do want to apologize for coming off as rude earlier, I definitely was stressed out at the time and didn't want to think about making changes to the sheet. Anyways, I would greatly appreciate explanations on suggestions regarding notation and presentation, as that's the only way I'll learn.

Latios212

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on November 22, 2020, 02:35:01 PMOkay I went over and tried making the sheet look a little nicer. I don't know if what I did is correct, I haven't had any education in notation. I do want to apologize for coming off as rude earlier, I definitely was stressed out at the time and didn't want to think about making changes to the sheet. Anyways, I would greatly appreciate explanations on suggestions regarding notation and presentation, as that's the only way I'll learn.
No worries! And sorry for taking a while to get to this one. Here's some stuff you can clean up in regards to the presentation (much of which are things to look out for in other sheets as well) -
- You've got some overlapping symbols in a couple of places, so nudge some things around accordingly to make room. The pedal marking/accent at the beginning, and the slur/triplet marking in 16
- "con pedale" with an e at the end for the pedal marking at the beginning
- The 8va at the beginning needs only to extend past the last notehead (so the dotted half in m. 2), not the entire measure
- Tie between m. 5-6 is facing the wrong way in m. 5 (should be pointing up, away from the lower layer).
- The second half of m. 6 RH should be flipped downwards to be consistent with the rest of that layer
- The above two comments also apply to m. 9-10
- Default correct position for a 16th rest on the staff is one notch lower than you have it in m. 17-18. The things that stick out on the left should go between the staff lines, similar to a normal eighth rest like in m. 16.
- Watch the curvature of the ties at the end of m. 8 and beginning of m. 19 - make them less exaggerated.
- There's no dynamic at the end of the cresc. at the end of m. 12. There should be one so the performer knows what dynamic to end on
- Clef at the end of m. 15/24 is too close to the note, should fix itself if you click the measure using the Note Entry Tool

Other stuff:
- Sounds like G minor (two flats) to me
- The second to last note of m. 10 LH should be F instead of G. Also for m. 6 and 10 I would recommend raising the RH 16th note run an octave to put it where it is in the original. If you do this, swap the last notes of m. 10 LH/RH since they're swapped right now to prevent hand crossing, but won't be a problem modified.
- Left hand A's in m. 14 should be flat
- I think the F# in m. 18 should be Gb
- The fourth and fifth notes in m. 19 and m. 20 LH sound to me like Bb and D (instead of A and Bb)
- Third-to-last note in m. 20 sounds like C instead of Bb
- For the harmony in the second half of m. 20, I'm hearing something like C-En (instead of what you wrote as D-Fb)
- Game title is the wrong text sire and also should be written as "The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes"
- Give your text alignment and page margins a check

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

I made the changes. Thanks for the help, that's a lot of stuff I didn't even realize needed to be fixed. When I changed the ties for m. 5-6 and 9-10, the only way I know how is to flip the beaming of the note. However, this makes the right hand note point down while the rest point up (and it gets a little close to the left hand line in the treble clef). Is this how it's supposed to be or is there a way to change that?

Latios212

You're welcome, glad it was helpful! :)

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on December 28, 2020, 06:30:02 AMWhen I changed the ties for m. 5-6 and 9-10, the only way I know how is to flip the beaming of the note. However, this makes the right hand note point down while the rest point up (and it gets a little close to the left hand line in the treble clef). Is this how it's supposed to be or is there a way to change that?
Nope, leave the note as is. In the simple entry tool when the note is highlighted you can press Ctrl+F to flip the tie. Or go to Special Tools > Tie Tool to flip it.

A few other follow-up comments:
Quote from: Latios212 on December 26, 2020, 01:42:41 PMNo worries! And sorry for taking a while to get to this one. Here's some stuff you can clean up in regards to the presentation (much of which are things to look out for in other sheets as well) -
- You've got some overlapping symbols in a couple of places, so nudge some things around accordingly to make room. The pedal marking/accent at the beginning, and the slur/triplet marking in 16
The beginning of the sheet is still rather cramped; I would recommend putting only 3 systems on page 1. Works perfectly since you have extra room on page 3 to put a fourth system.

Quote from: Latios212 on December 26, 2020, 01:42:41 PM- Default correct position for a 16th rest on the staff is one notch lower than you have it in m. 17-18. The things that stick out on the left should go between the staff lines, similar to a normal eighth rest like in m. 16.
The one in 18 still needs to be moved down a notch

Quote from: Latios212 on December 26, 2020, 01:42:41 PM- Game title is the wrong text sire and also should be written as "The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes"
Whoops, I meant size. It still look a little large (check the formatting guidelines) and is missing the "The".

Looks good otherwise, nice job fixing it up ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Fixed!
Quote from: Latios212 on December 29, 2020, 12:24:39 PMIn the simple entry tool when the note is highlighted you can press Ctrl+F to flip the tie. Or go to Special Tools > Tie Tool to flip it.
That's a cool feature :o

Latios212

Yeah ^^ although it looks to me like the tie comes from below the note now (check the PDF)... not sure if that's a Finale glitch or something. Try removing it and re-entering it, or right clicking with the Tie Tool > Remove Manual Adjustments. Then right click, click Edit, and change the tie direction to Over. It should end up looking like this - and you might want to raise the slur a little so it's not so close to the note on the left.

You cannot view this attachment.

And just a last couple things for polish! That should be it from me :P
- Move the composer/arranger down; with three systems on the page it should be vertically below the title/subtitle. You can move the music down a bit to make room. Similarly, you can move the music down just a bit on pages 2-3 as well to make it less cramped around the header.
- URL is missing the www

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Fixed! And, I'll also go and make similar formatting adjustments on the woodlands arrangement in the next few days when I get the time

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

LH:
-m6 b4 - D, not a Eb and 6.5 is a C, not a Eb.
-m10 b6.5 is a Bb, just like b3.5.
-m20 - b2.5 is a Bb and b3 is a D.
-m21 - b5.5 a G and 6 is a 8th note, no b6.5 note.
-m22 - b2.5 is a F, b3 is a 8th note, b6 is an 8th note as well.
-m23 - there is technically a G here on b6.5, but it's a different voice and I recommend mirroring the pattern and making b6 a 8th note.

-Whenever you have the RH drop down for the low Gs, it becomes far more challenging as the jump from a thumb on G2 to anything on D4 is really hard to pull off this quickly. I recommend just lifting all instances of this up an octave, which will give the song a more consistent difficulty.

RH:
-Move the 8va further away from the staff a bit, it's too close to the dotted half note.
-m4 - b1 is a dotted 8th, b2 should be b2.5 and a 16th note.
-m5 - there is no restrike on b2, b1 is an 8th note.

Other:
-con pedale should be italicised. Make it by editing an expressive text instead.

that should be it.

cashwarrior1

I did everything except for these two.
Quote from: Maelstrom on January 11, 2021, 01:09:17 PM-Whenever you have the RH drop down for the low Gs, it becomes far more challenging as the jump from a thumb on G2 to anything on D4 is really hard to pull off this quickly. I recommend just lifting all instances of this up an octave, which will give the song a more consistent difficulty.

-m5 - there is no restrike on b2, b1 is an 8th note.
I am unclear on what they are referring to. The RH never plays anything lower than the E natural in m. 22. If it's still a little unclear on what hand plays what, I can try to make that a little more clear, but the left hand is playing all cross staff notes.

Also, there was never any note on b2 of m5, so I'm wondering if that's referring to another measure (?). Though, I didn't see any measure it would apply to.