News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[ARCADE] SoulCalibur II - "Hubris (Reprise)" (Replacement) by Renaud Bergeron

Started by Zeta, September 24, 2020, 01:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: SoulCalibur II
Console: Arcade
Title: Hubris (Reprise)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Renaud Bergeron

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that you should feel free to resubmit your old FF sheets if you want (here and here). There was some feedback for you on both of them, but you didn't respond.

Khunjund

Quote from: Static on September 24, 2020, 01:22:36 PMHey, I just wanted to let you know that you should feel free to resubmit your old FF sheets if you want (here and here). There was some feedback for you on both of them, but you didn't respond.

Yea, sorry about that. Life sometimes...

I've done Saber's Edge; I'll see about the rest eventually.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Khunjund

It seems my system margins were messed up for some reason, so I fixed that.

Static

I don't really have much to say here, looks really good
  • The fermatas in m6 should be lined up - so you should write the RH as two tied dotted quarters, the second one having a fermata.
  • The rolled chord marking in m10 would look better if it was a tiny bit closer to the note rather than the barline, and the one in m32 should have some more space around it.
  • If you have multiple tempo/style directions on the same system, it would be nice if they were lined up, provided there's space (like in m2-4 and m13-14).
  • I'd be fine writing some of those tied LH rhythms as dotted 8th notes (I'm referring to spots like m18-20), since you use a similar beaming pattern in places like m11 and 15-17. Maybe it's just me but I don't really like the look of having ties in beamed notes, but it's up to you.
  • The small fermata in m46 looks like it should be moved just a hair to the right so it's centered over the notehead.

Khunjund

For the ties, what looks best to me in 6/8 is writing each beat as though it were a beamed 3/8, so generally without "backhanded" dotted notes, and thus I wouldn't use three sixteenths followed by a dotted eighth the same way I wouldn't write e.g. three eighths followed by a dotted quarter in 3/4. When I write rhythms like in measure 11, in my head I see it as "two sixteenths, plus a sixteenth–eighth–sixteenth syncopated rhythm", not "three sixteenths, then an eighth plus sixteenth". At first I thought I would write all of those isolated eighths as pairs of tied sixteenths (which would be the traditional method I believe), but I chose to go with this after seeing similar rhythmic notation in more modern sheets.

Everything else should be fixed.

Static

Ah, OK, that makes sense. The fermata in m46 still looks like it's a little off-center, but everything else looks good.

Khunjund

Huh, weird; it looked fine on my end.

I re-uploaded, hoping it's fixed this time.

Latios212

Nice sheet, and awesome that it's a replacement :) not much to add here.

• "SoulCalibur" (no space) for the game title on the sheet
  • Dynamics - at least an opening one, more at section changes as well could add some color.
  • I'd suggest tying over the LH into the second half of m. 22; there aren't any large rest gaps anywhere else and this as written seems to suggest a LH pause or pedal lift (speaking of which do you want to indicate pedal anywhere, perhaps just a "con pedale" at the beginning?
  • Fermata in LH of m. 25?
  • The first chord in m. 32 sounds like it's rolled too.
  • The roll marking on the third chord in m. 32 is ever so slightly slanted.
  • Page margins here as well; text is noticeably closer to the edge of the page  in the footer and subsequent headers.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Khunjund

Fixed the above, added some dynamics and a few articulations. Fixed some tempo alterations.

Latios212

Cool, looks good. I think the mf and più mosso in m. 18 could be spaced out just a tad, but that's about it. Also confirming you don't want any pedal indication at the beginning?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Khunjund

Spaced those out a bit.

No, I think the con pedale indication is superfluous, and I don't want to have to add fifty hidden pedal indications to fix the midi playback. (I've done it before when the playback sounded terrible without pedal, but I think this one is fine as is, even if it's a little dry.)

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta