News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[SWITCH] Paper Mario: The Origami King - "Shroom City" by mastersuperfan

Started by Zeta, September 28, 2020, 04:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Paper Mario
Game: Paper Mario: The Origami King
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Shroom City
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: mastersuperfan

[attachment deleted by admin]

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

This is great! Only a few things to add.
- Flip the slurs upwards in m. 22
- Beginning dynamics in m. 27 and 33 are just a bit far to the right.
- You might want to disconnect beats 3-4 in measures 27, 28, 33, and 34 to better show the downbeat.
- I'd suggest tenutos or something on the first beats of m. 29 and 35, since those notes are sustained in the original.

I also wonder if there's some simpler way to denote the double-time changes on page 3 than those somewhat long tempo indications, but I'm not too familiar with that style so I don't have any specific ideas.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on October 03, 2020, 12:17:20 PM- Flip the slurs upwards in m. 22
- Beginning dynamics in m. 27 and 33 are just a bit far to the right.
- You might want to disconnect beats 3-4 in measures 27, 28, 33, and 34 to better show the downbeat.
Done.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 03, 2020, 12:17:20 PM- I'd suggest tenutos or something on the first beats of m. 29 and 35, since those notes are sustained in the original.
I think I'd rather leave them as is. I feel like adding tenutos would imply more emphasis on notes that shouldn't be particularly emphasized.

Quote from: Latios212 on October 03, 2020, 12:17:20 PMI also wonder if there's some simpler way to denote the double-time changes on page 3 than those somewhat long tempo indications, but I'm not too familiar with that style so I don't have any specific ideas.
Yeah, I'm not sure either, but this seemed to be the clearest/least ambiguous way to do it.

Thanks for taking a look!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Cool, no problem. Looks good to me, I approve :)

If anyone else has ideas for the double-time section tempo indicators, would be happy to hear them.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Khunjund

Wow, I was not expecting that shift at m. 27. I thought I got transported into Conker's Bad Fur Day or something.

For the notation, how about alternating doppio movimento and a tempo?
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Static

Quote from: D3ath3657 on October 03, 2020, 03:45:04 PMFor the notation, how about alternating doppio movimento and a tempo?
I don't think that really makes sense in this context; this is jazz music. Generally speaking, I prefer to write in the idioms of whatever style a piece (or section of a piece) happens to be.

The part at m27 is shifting from swing to double time swing. It should all be written in 4/4 (do not change any of your current note values, just change the time signatures), and you only need to have the "quarter = half" and "half = quarter" markings. I think that's the simplest way to write it in a way that both reflects the type of music it is, and also will allow the most people to easily understand what you mean.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on October 03, 2020, 04:50:09 PMThe part at m27 is shifting from swing to double time swing. It should all be written in 4/4 (do not change any of your current note values, just change the time signatures), and you only need to have the "quarter = half" and "half = quarter" markings. I think that's the simplest way to write it in a way that both reflects the type of music it is, and also will allow the most people to easily understand what you mean.
Updated.

Static

• In m2 LH and similar places, I think it would look less cluttered if you replaced some of those 16th notes with staccato 8th notes like this:
    Spoiler
    [close]
  • In m8 LH, you might want to consider breaking that 8th note beam in half to keep in line with all of the other 16th note beaming - I personally think it makes it look more consistent, but up to you.
  • I do not hear the 16th note on beat 2.5 of m19 or 21 RH.
  • The LH in m27-28 and 33-34 sounds like it's just the lower octave, but I'm fine keeping it in octaves for some extra punch.
  • For those changing tempo markings, you do not need to include the "quarter/half = 102" thing since the first part "quarter=half/half=quarter" already tells the reader this information. No matter what note you switch to, the pulse will always be 102bpm since that's what you set at the beginning of the piece.
  • This really nitpicky but usually in jazz I see dotted quarter notes on beat 1.5/3.5 instead of tied notes like you have in m31 and 37.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on October 24, 2020, 10:52:23 AM
  • The LH in m27-28 and 33-34 sounds like it's just the lower octave, but I'm fine keeping it in octaves for some extra punch.
Yeah, that was intentional for that reason.

Quote from: Static on October 24, 2020, 10:52:23 AM
  • For those changing tempo markings, you do not need to include the "quarter/half = 102" thing since the first part "quarter=half/half=quarter" already tells the reader this information. No matter what note you switch to, the pulse will always be 102bpm since that's what you set at the beginning of the piece.
I dunno, I'm not convinced. I'd agree with you if there was a time signature change where a different note value got the beat (i.e. 4/4 to 2/2, or 4/4 to 12/8), but here, I don't think it's completely clear to all potential performers from a glance whether the tempo is being doubled or halved. I might change my mind if other people agree with you, but I think I'd rather be redundant over ambiguous.

All other changes made.

Static

I think that makes sense. The rest of the changes look good, so I'll go ahead and accept.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot