Series: Other
Game: Game & Watch Gallery 2
Console: Game Boy
Title: Parachute
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: ShyYoshiGuy

[attachment deleted by admin]

ShyYoshiGuy

I've got a couple notes. I kinda included everything, not really knowing what's actually playable. Case in point, the... ascending 32nd-note line at the end. If there's something inventive we can do with that, it's there so we know what we're working with. If not, I'll just remove it. Easier to remove it than to go back and add it. Besides, not all the extra parts play every loop in real gameplay due to interruption with sound effects.

Oh, and the "q = 98, 112, 126, 140" is a note for me so I wouldn't forget to ask about it. The tempo featured in the YouTube video is the slowest possible in the game. However, throughout, the game instanteously (over the course of a measure, I think) switches between 98, 112, 126, and 140 depending on the in-game score. I'm thinking just including the 98-140 range would be best, but I dunno how to do that. [I recorded some sound directly from my Game Boy, if you wanted to back me up there. It also demonstrates sound effects clipping into the music. Parachute starts at 0:16.]

https://youtu.be/FZVNChXTvo0
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Latios212

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on September 28, 2020, 06:11:12 PMCase in point, the... ascending 32nd-note line at the end. If there's something inventive we can do with that, it's there so we know what we're working with. If not, I'll just remove it. Easier to remove it than to go back and add it. Besides, not all the extra parts play every loop in real gameplay due to interruption with sound effects.
Yeah, that's not super workable as is. I'd suggest just taking it out for simplicity. If you want to keep it though, you could do something along these lines:
You cannot view this attachment.
Note that the last four notes are actually parallel fifths, which we definitely can't keep.

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on September 28, 2020, 06:11:12 PMOh, and the "q = 98, 112, 126, 140" is a note for me so I wouldn't forget to ask about it. The tempo featured in the YouTube video is the slowest possible in the game. However, throughout, the game instanteously (over the course of a measure, I think) switches between 98, 112, 126, and 140 depending on the in-game score. I'm thinking just including the 98-140 range would be best, but I dunno how to do that. [I recorded some sound directly from my Game Boy, if you wanted to back me up there. It also demonstrates sound effects clipping into the music. Parachute starts at 0:16.]
With something like this, best to communicate your intentions as clearly as possible, since it might not be super clear what to do with (q=98-140). My suggestion: Keep the q=98 indicator, and add a performance note somewhere (i.e. English text) explaining that it can change to 112/126/140 at any point based on your score.

Other things before I check notes in depth:
- The sheet's a bit cramped right now. I think it would work better with 3 measures per system, with four systems on the first page and two systems on a second page.
- Add a line break in the composer info when it gets that long.
- I'd suggest separating the RH layers in m. 3-4 and 7-8 - they're doing rhythmically independent things.
- Check your note durations and add staccatos where necessary. In particular, the RH in m. 5 is a lot more short and detached than it appears with dotted eighth notes and tied notes. Skim the sheet for other places that need similar clarification.
- Missing a grace note at the beginning of m. 13.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ShyYoshiGuy

Cool, cool. The sheet's updated.
- It sounded empty without the ascending line, maybe what I've done (removing the first four notes) is better.
- By putting it back into the template again, it's now 3 measures a system, but I can't move the last systems to the next page.
- I hopefully fixed m5 and similar measures as suggested, and I noticed that bassline in the first half is not as connected as written, so I changed that too.
- I set m3-4 (and m7-8) like that since it looked ugly to me. It's probably a problem with note lengths though.
- Nice catch with the grace note. It sounds nice like that.

Ye, this one's exciting. It's definitely one of my favorite tracks from this series.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Latios212

Sorry for the wait! Finally took the time to go through this one closely. Pretty solid, but a few things need fixing:

- The dyads in m. 1-2 are inverted - bottom notes should be on the top. The notes on 2.5 in the RH are just single D's.
- Note durations in m. 3-4 can be cleaned up a bit between beats 1-2 - layer 1 wasn't grouped properly and layer 2 probably doesn't need to be held over to just a 16th note on beta 2.
- A few incorrect pitches in m. 4.
- Above two comments apply to m. 7-9 as well.
- m. 14 beat 3 RH plays a D instead of holding over the previous dyad
- m. 14 LH beat 4 plays just eighth notes (not 16th + dotted eighth)

I fixed the above as well as the formatting/spacing in this file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7qq83ldnogu9ep/Parachute%20-%2011-6.mus?dl=1

Also, the first half of m. 18 (not the second half we talked about last time) needed a bit of work too. One or two of the notes were off, and I wrote in what's in the original, but we should probably do something to prevent the augmented tenth on beat 1.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ShyYoshiGuy

Nice, nice, nice. Thank you for fixing that for me, heh. It's sounding pretty good. And it's now updated.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Latios212

You're welcome :)

Before I approve, what about this?
Quote from: Latios212 on November 06, 2020, 01:15:25 PMAlso, the first half of m. 18 ... we should probably do something to prevent the augmented tenth on beat 1.
We could raise the lower Bb an octave or something, or just leave it to be rolled/omitted as desired

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ShyYoshiGuy

Sorry, I forgot to reply. I don't fully understand the issue with it. Does it not sound good or is the interval to hard to play or something?
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Latios212

An augmented tenth (Bb to D) is an awfully large stretch and not possible for many (probably most) people's hands to pull off. Do you have a keyboard around?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ShyYoshiGuy

Yeah, I see what you mean. I can't do it without also hitting C and even then it hurts. I'll choose which of those three sounds best and update it shortly.

Edit:
Spoiler
[close]

This interval is even worse. Is it okay since I doubt anyone would hold the A that long? And uh, where's the button to do a rolled chord so I can hear what it sounds like? I assume you mean the vertical squiggly I forget the name of. [Edit 2: The octave raise is growing on me, never mind.]
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

ShyYoshiGuy

This is probably a stupid question, but am I allowed to change the MIDI after exporting so that it can loop four times and play each of the tempos for one loop? Or is it best to just leave it as is with two loops of 98 bpm?

To be clear, I haven't done that yet. The only difference between the one uploaded now and the previous one is the problematic augmented tenth in m18.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Latios212

The MIDI should always be an export of the Finale if possible so it's easy to make corrections if necessary (e.g. wrong pitch had to be corrected, just re-export the files and don't edit MIDI playback). In this case, what you want is doable in Finale so you don't have to edit the MIDI after exporting :)

As discussed in #help on Discord, assigning different tempo markings to take effect on different repeats and turning off human playback make this play back properly in Finale and in the MIDI. I've edited that into your files.

Approval from me!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Looks pretty good, just some small things:

-The rest in bar 18 could be in the normal position on the staff.
-Beat 4 of bar 12's LH should look like bar 14 i.e. two quavers rather than semiquaver dotted quaver.
-Could we put something in bar 19 to make it clear that it's not just an accidental empty bar?  Even if you don't want to cue in the percussion accurately you could just put a expression that signifies the percussion is playing there or something.  At the moment it kind of just looks like a mistake.

ShyYoshiGuy

Quote from: Libera on November 22, 2020, 02:56:52 PM-Could we put something in bar 19 to make it clear that it's not just an accidental empty bar?  Even if you don't want to cue in the percussion accurately you could just put a expression that signifies the percussion is playing there or something.  At the moment it kind of just looks like a mistake.
What were you thinking? Some text that says "This measure intentionally left blank", or what?

And expect those changes by Thanksgiving, heh.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Libera

No not really, something more like:
Spoiler
[close]
Or just something along those lines.  Personally I'd cue in the percussion fully, but I don't expect others to spend the effort on doing that.