News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

mastersuperfan's Halloween Sheet - [MOB] Among Us: Main Theme

Started by mastersuperfan, October 03, 2020, 05:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

There isn't an official name for this track. The most common results I see online are "Main Theme," "Main Menu," "Menu Theme," and "Main Menu Theme," but I don't really like the sound of "Main Menu Theme"... but I can include the word "Menu" if people think that would be better, I guess. (This is the only music in the game anyway, so it's not like omitting the word "Menu" is going to introduce any ambiguity.)

Also, the RH rhythms are mostly approximations. I didn't want to introduce 32nd-note divisions, so I wrote what I thought was the closest fit with 16th-note divisions.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Zeila

Nice lol. I think "Main Theme" is good enough for a title

• Missing dynamic in the beginning? Also, I think you should write diminuendos/simile for the RH melody part since each section sounds like it fades away
  • This is super minor but you could just resize staff systems with the page layout tool instead of resizing the whole page so that the text doesn't get smaller. I know there are lots of sheets out there like that (including some of my own), but it's just another option
  • It sounds like you're missing an F in the first chord and G# in the second. Something like this could work:

I think I might be imagining D and Bn in the first and second chords, but if you or someone else actually hear those two notes then you could make those full Gm7 and C#m7 chords. After modifying it, the second chord sounds even more dissonant with the low C, although changing the heart beat motif to some other note will alter the sound a lot. If you've already thought about this and decided to simplify it for that reason (and so that the RH doesn't have to do an eighth note jump in m27), then that's okay

The rest looks good!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Zeila on October 03, 2020, 11:32:50 PM
  • Missing dynamic in the beginning? Also, I think you should write diminuendos/simile for the RH melody part since each section sounds like it fades away
There was already a mf in the beginning; maybe it didn't show on your end? Either way, I've also added the decrescendos (interactions with 8va are weird, hopefully it looks all right).

• This is super minor but you could just resize staff systems with the page layout tool instead of resizing the whole page so that the text doesn't get smaller. I know there are lots of sheets out there like that (including some of my own), but it's just another option
I prefer to shrink the whole page down so that the title text doesn't look disproportionately large compared to the rest of the sheet.

• It sounds like you're missing an F in the first chord and G# in the second. Something like this could work:

I think I might be imagining D and Bn in the first and second chords, but if you or someone else actually hear those two notes then you could make those full Gm7 and C#m7 chords. After modifying it, the second chord sounds even more dissonant with the low C, although changing the heart beat motif to some other note will alter the sound a lot. If you've already thought about this and decided to simplify it for that reason (and so that the RH doesn't have to do an eighth note jump in m27), then that's okay
Good catch, it took me a really long time to hear those notes even after you pointed them out. I changed them to your suggestion. (I do wish I could keep the heavy low register feel, but doubling the Bb and En an octave down in combination with the F and G# sounds too heavy to me.) I also think the jump in m27 is probably okay, given how slow the tempo is. The RH part is also pretty freeform, so the player could delay that eighth note a bit if they can't make the jump right away.

All changes made.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

I'll say that using C natural for the low percussion hits really doesn't sound right to me in the second chord. The original has a thick texture but isn't so openly dissonant as that augmented octave sounds, especially compared to the first chord.

Other than that, I don't have much to add, other than the first RH note in m. 7 sounds more like two distinct strikes of Ab, given that the melody doesn't really make use of a restrike/echo effect anywhere else.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on October 14, 2020, 06:40:14 PMI'll say that using C natural for the low percussion hits really doesn't sound right to me in the second chord. The original has a thick texture but isn't so openly dissonant as that augmented octave sounds, especially compared to the first chord.

Other than that, I don't have much to add, other than the first RH note in m. 7 sounds more like two distinct strikes of Ab, given that the melody doesn't really make use of a restrike/echo effect anywhere else.

For what it's worth, the bass is actually pitched at C natural in the original. That said, I'm open to changing it to a different note in m3-4 (C#?) if you have any particular suggestions.

I don't think that's a distinct restrike in m7; there are restrike/echo effects elsewhere too, like the rest of the RH notes in m7-8, m11, and m20.

Latios212

Yeah, I think C# would be much less jarring.

For the restrike, it sounds pretty distinct for that one note in particular compared to the rest. But given the tone of the piece, I guess it doesn't really matter too much either way.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on October 17, 2020, 07:32:12 AMYeah, I think C# would be much less jarring.

Updated. I also changed the Db at the end of m15 to a C# since it's a chromatic ascending pattern.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

man that first chord made me think it was ganon at first. Upon further checking, it's in exactly the same key.

It would be nice from a visual standpoint if the 8vas extended to the end of their respective measures.

I'm not sure how I feel about the chords, but I can't come up with better ones so I think they're fine. 

and that's it.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 22, 2020, 05:37:33 PMIt would be nice from a visual standpoint if the 8vas extended to the end of their respective measures.

I think I heard through the grapevine (from Latios, who heard it from Ben) that it is technically not notationally correct to extend the 8va to the end of the measure.

Maelstrom

Out of curiosity, can I have a source on that? I'd like to know for my own pieces

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Cool, thanks. I'll start doing the same from now on, then.

Accepted