News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Count Batula — Hallowe’en Project Submission

Started by Khunjund, October 07, 2020, 06:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khunjund

Added more articulations all over, and made the triplets into sixteenths—looking back, there are no triplets anywhere else in the piece, so it does make more sense like this, in a way. I don't see what advantage there could be with using D.C. over the more precies D.S., so I'll stick with that

As for the title and copyright information, etc., I don't know what to say: it's formatted exactly the same as it's always been on my sheets and I've never had any remarks about that.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Static

Quote from: Khunjund on October 27, 2020, 01:45:27 PMAs for the title and copyright information, etc., I don't know what to say: it's formatted exactly the same as it's always been on my sheets and I've never had any remarks about that.
If that's the case, then it means we didn't catch it. The info should be within the margins (if you want, you can just move the margins themselves instead of re-spacing all the text). You should do this for your subs as well.

Everything else looks good, so I'm going to go ahead and approve this, just be sure to make that change.

Khunjund

I'm not sure I understand. The page numbers and stuff are where Finale puts them by default, which has always seemed fine to me (and was at least good enough not to get noticed until now), so I fail to see the point of tinkering with it, especially since I tend to break things when I mess with margins. Moreover, you're giving me the option of simply changing the margins to keep everything where it is right now (which is what I would do, since e.g. moving the page numbers down would clip with the staves in some places), so I don't understand why I can't just leave everything as is without changing the margins and just make a mental note for next time I submit a sheet to be uploaded.

Static

Quote from: Khunjund on October 27, 2020, 02:17:57 PMI'm not sure I understand. The page numbers and stuff are where Finale puts them by default, which has always seemed fine to me (and was at least good enough not to get noticed until now), so I fail to see the point of tinkering with it, especially since I tend to break things when I mess with margins. Moreover, you're giving me the option of simply changing the margins to keep everything where it is right now (which is what I would do, since e.g. moving the page numbers down would clip with the staves in some places), so I don't understand why I can't just leave everything as is without changing the margins and just make a mental note for next time I submit a sheet to be uploaded.
Sorry, that was a bad explanation from me; you should just move the page numbers, etc. to within the current margins you have. I know it's kind of nitpicky, but having everything within the same margins helps give the sheet uniformity across all the pages. If you look on this sheet you'll notice that the main title (page 1) is within the margins, as are all the staves. I think it makes sense that everything else should be too. Hopefully that makes sense.

Khunjund

Static

mastersuperfan

Very solid sheet. Don't have a lot to say about the notes, mainly some minor visual and formatting things:
- Incredibly nitpicky, but I think the tempo marking would look better moved up a tiny bit so it's not so close to the segno.
- You might consider moving up the Layer 1 quarter/eighth rests in m24-25 and m32-33 up one increment so they're not brushing against the slurs.
- Not totally sure I see the benefit of doubling the top note in Layer 2 in m25 and m33. You can keep it if you think it's important for voicing or clarity, but I think it would look cleaner if the top note was in Layer 1 only.
- Those are some pretty frantic jumps for the LH in m26-29 and m34-35. I'd personally be inclined to remove either the upper note on the higher octave or the lower note on the lower octave, but if you think it's playable enough, then it's fine.
- The forte in m34 would probably look better if you added a bit of extra space to the beginning of the measure.
- The ending number in m38 is pretty close to the notehead. Maybe decrease the space between two systems so that you can raise the ending up a little bit?
- In m78, I would move the "2." a little more to the left so that it's centered with (or aligned with the left edge of) the notehead. Finale tends to put the ending numbers too far to the right.
- Page 5 is pretty tight on space at the margins (the top system is really close to touching the header and the bottom notes go beyond the page margin). I would suggest freeing up space by decreasing the space between the LH and RH staves in each system (since this section is pretty empty, relatively speaking).
- In m114, the beginning of the 8va should be extended a little more to the left so that it completely covers the first note (Finale starts 8va's too far to the right by default).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Khunjund

Made minor tweaks to all the above, except the octaves in measures 26–29 and 34–35, which I think are sufficiently playable.

mastersuperfan

The forte in m34 still looks cramped to me, but it's not a big deal if you don't want to change it.

The LH notes at the bottom of page 5 are still barely outside the margins; they should be contained within the margins (technically, there's also a staccato on page 3 that's half-outside the bottom margin):

The one other thing I noticed is that the slur going from m8 to m9 is above the stems for some reason, when it should go below the noteheads instead.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Khunjund

Done. Some of those systems are getting a little too close to one another for my tastes, but hopefully everything is in order, now.

mastersuperfan