News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates - "A Dark Fall" by Libera

Started by Zeta, October 16, 2020, 03:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Fire Emblem
Game: Fire Emblem Fates
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: A Dark Fall
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

Maelstrom

Unsure if the 16th you wrote in for m18 b3.5 is a restrike or just the note from b3 still resonating. I am inclined to belive the latter. I think it's a pure restrike in m20 though.
m43 - RH b1 - I hear a G# here. There might be one in m41 but it's nearly inaudible,

Going through the repeated chord section and the end and I think most of the errors I  was hearing was simply a different choice of inversion. I assume you did so because you wanted the constant string note on top. There is, however, a different chord I'm hearing. In m47 and similar, I hear an inversion of an EM chord instead of a CM chord

Looks great otherwise, nice work!

Libera

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 24, 2020, 12:36:35 PMUnsure if the 16th you wrote in for m18 b3.5 is a restrike or just the note from b3 still resonating. I am inclined to belive the latter. I think it's a pure restrike in m20 though.
m43 - RH b1 - I hear a G# here. There might be one in m41 but it's nearly inaudible,

Hmm yeah I see what you mean.  I kind of feel though that it might just be a mistake that the note wasn't picked up in recording or whatever since those two phrases are identical otherwise so it really feels like the note should be there.  If you're really against it I can take it out.

Quote from: Maelstrom on October 24, 2020, 12:36:35 PMGoing through the repeated chord section and the end and I think most of the errors I  was hearing was simply a different choice of inversion. I assume you did so because you wanted the constant string note on top. There is, however, a different chord I'm hearing. In m47 and similar, I hear an inversion of an EM chord instead of a CM chord

Actually the inversions were all chosen to keep the top vocal part on top of the chord, but yes the inversions have been messed with to achieve that.  And yes you're correct about that wrong chord and I've fixed it now.

Thanks for checking!

Maelstrom

NP, approving now. Not too against that, just thought I'd point it out. The 8th instead of the 16th might give the phrase more vareity, but it's up to you here.

mastersuperfan

- I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the LH in m1-16 being portato. I get that that part is like that in the original, but when not all the parts transfer over to piano, I feel like having the LH be portato just makes the sheet sound empty every time the LH releases. I would recommend removing them in m1-16 (or at the least, in m9-16). I think they're fine in m53-60 since the "feel" of that section is very different, though (that said, does it make any difference if each beat is pedaled anyway?).
- Did you try fitting the bagpipe line in m9-16 in somehow, maybe in the LH? I don't know if that would work well at all; if it doesn't, then it's unfortunate that it doesn't fit... but maybe to distinguish m9-16 from m1-8 somehow, you might consider making the RH notes held longer instead of having eighth rests between chords? Again, not exactly how it is in the original, but I think that would help make it feel "fuller" there.
- I'm not sure how necessary it is to tie the RH notes in m17 and m19 over to m18 and m20. The player already has to hold the pedal down to keep the LH note sustained throughout both measures, so I feel like tying the RH notes over is just adding unnecessary clutter (that tie in m19 looks particularly awkward).
- In m17 and m19, maybe cross-staff the B on beat 2.5 from the LH over into the RH?
- m20 beats 3-4 should be flipped upward.
- For m21-36, is there any particular reason why the LH rhythm always has a rest on beat 3? I don't like how jarring the abrupt silence there feels; I would rather it be tied over to another sixteenth note.
- Layers 1 and 2 are misaligned on m30 and m34 RH beat 4.
- I think m31 and m35 RH Layer 2 might look better flipped upward (aside from the B on m35 beat 4).
- Maybe a crescendo in m39-40 to lead up to the mf?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Libera

New files up.  Thanks for having a look.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the LH in m1-16 being portato. I get that that part is like that in the original, but when not all the parts transfer over to piano, I feel like having the LH be portato just makes the sheet sound empty every time the LH releases. I would recommend removing them in m1-16 (or at the least, in m9-16). I think they're fine in m53-60 since the "feel" of that section is very different, though (that said, does it make any difference if each beat is pedaled anyway?).

I feel like we've had a similar conversation before.  When I've tried this on the piano, playing it this way feels very natural and not empty at all.  Not sure what else to say on this really.  Also, regarding the pedal markings, they're a) hidden so it doesn't matter, and b) that's the most natural pedaling I could come up with precisely for the purposes of keeping the slightly detached nature of the left hand in that section.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- Did you try fitting the bagpipe line in m9-16 in somehow, maybe in the LH? I don't know if that would work well at all; if it doesn't, then it's unfortunate that it doesn't fit... but maybe to distinguish m9-16 from m1-8 somehow, you might consider making the RH notes held longer instead of having eighth rests between chords? Again, not exactly how it is in the original, but I think that would help make it feel "fuller" there.

Yes, I tried a bunch of different things and decided they didn't work and it was better to just cut my losses and remove it entirely.  Generally speaking,  the things I tried made it much more difficult/awkward to play and it didn't sound particularly great anyway.  I'm not sure altering the articulation of the current RH really fills in for the missing part, and seems like it'd just be making it different for the purposes of making it sound different.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- I'm not sure how necessary it is to tie the RH notes in m17 and m19 over to m18 and m20. The player already has to hold the pedal down to keep the LH note sustained throughout both measures, so I feel like tying the RH notes over is just adding unnecessary clutter (that tie in m19 looks particularly awkward).

It's just there to keep the melody visually clear and distinct.  It's definitely necessary in bars 17-18 and it'd feel disingenuous to not include it in 19-20.  I don't think the tie inhibits reading that much; it's just not something you see very often so it sticks out.  It's certainly not the most colliding set of ties I've ever put in a sheet.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- In m17 and m19, maybe cross-staff the B on beat 2.5 from the LH over into the RH?

Sure.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- m20 beats 3-4 should be flipped upward.

Should they?  There's still the layer one semibreve in that bar so I thought that layer should still be flipped down.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- For m21-36, is there any particular reason why the LH rhythm always has a rest on beat 3? I don't like how jarring the abrupt silence there feels; I would rather it be tied over to another sixteenth note.

I guess I can change it, but I'm not sure it matters that much either way.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- Layers 1 and 2 are misaligned on m30 and m34 RH beat 4.

Fixed.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- I think m31 and m35 RH Layer 2 might look better flipped upward (aside from the B on m35 beat 4).

For similar reasons to above I'm not sure they should be flipped upwards.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 01:55:27 PM- Maybe a crescendo in m39-40 to lead up to the mf?

This change in dynamics feels more sudden to me.  There's no build up to it in the original so I don't really want to put one in here.

mastersuperfan

All fair points. I guess it might be technically correct to keep it as is in m20, but I feel like I almost always just see beats 3-4 flipped up when I come across cases like these because it's just easier to read. m31/35 is probably more up in the air and I think either way is fine; it's just that I personally prefer how it looks to flip them up.

The only other thing I have to say is that the dynamic in m45 is positioned a little low.

Other than that, looks great.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Libera

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 03:22:50 PMAll fair points. I guess it might be technically correct to keep it as is in m20, but I feel like I almost always just see beats 3-4 flipped up when I come across cases like these because it's just easier to read. m31/35 is probably more up in the air and I think either way is fine; it's just that I personally prefer how it looks to flip them up.

Another argument in favour of keeping bar 20 as it is currently is then it matches with bar 18.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on October 25, 2020, 03:22:50 PMThe only other thing I have to say is that the dynamic in m45 is positioned a little low.

Ok.  I adjusted it very slightly.

New files up.  Thanks again.

mastersuperfan

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by mastersuperfan.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot