Series: Mega Man
Game: Mega Man X3
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Opening Stage
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Jake_Luigi

[attachment deleted by admin]

ShyYoshiGuy

For future reference, when you make a new submission, reply to the topic with a YouTube video like so:

https://youtu.be/6ukxh9Ra5oQ
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Khunjund

Welcome, and nice work for a first submission. As YoshiGuy said above, when submitting, please link a YouTube video, or whatever primary source you used to make the arrangement. This makes it so people can more easily compare your arrangement to the original, and ensures that there is no confusion as to what variant of the piece was used (when applicable).

You don't have to write a character indication, but I just wanted to point out that it's an option to include one.

I assume this is because you use MuseScore or something, but the .mus is kind of messed up. For instance, all the second layer rests are in their default position, which means they often clip with other layers, etc.

A lot of your ties are the wrong direction (right hand opening measures, left hand measure 21, etc.), though this is fixed in the .mus because of Finale's automatic correction. Barring any layer shenanigans, ties for notes on the third line and above should arc upwards; those below the third line should arc downards.

Generally we avoid using harmonic intervals greater than the octave. While I can comfortably play the opening Gmin(add9) chord, I know there are people who would struggle with it, and the following F and Eb chords are simply impossible for anyone who doesn't have Rachmaninoff's hands. You can keep the Gmin(add9) as is if you want, but I would recommend raising the bottom note of the other chords by an octave so all of the notes fit within one octave.

The final Gb in the bass should be written F#. (Notice how it resolves up to G natural when it loops?)

It should be fairly simple to make this fit on two pages. Instead of resizing the entire sheet, try changing the staff height to 7 mm or 6.5 mm and tinkering with the distance between systems.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Jake_Luigi

Thanks guys! I wasn't even aware this page existed (I thought there would be a notification on the NSM main site with a little number next to your name, y'know?) but I'm glad it does. I'll get right on it :D

and yeah, the uh, 10th interval was a stretch (literally), that one's on me lol

Jake_Luigi

2021 Update:
The .mid and .pdf files should be all good now.
.mus file has a few instances of ties not working and overlapping between layers. This should be resolved soon, but if anyone has any other pointers, feel free to add it to the thread here. Thanks again my dudes.

Jake_Luigi

Latios212

(Wow, this is super reminiscent of Big Blue from F-Zero...)

Nice job for a first submission :)

Quote from: Jake_Luigi on January 01, 2021, 11:34:55 AM.mus file has a few instances of ties not working and overlapping between layers. This should be resolved soon, but if anyone has any other pointers, feel free to add it to the thread here. Thanks again my dudes.
Ties between layers don't really work right in Finale, but I can help you clean whatever you're got up later if you still need.

Now, some feedback:

Left hand:
- For m. 1-8 I would recommend tying over the bass notes to fill in rests when the bass changes (for example between m. 2-3) similar to how you do in the right hand - the original does something similar and that helps to make the music sound like it's still moving.
- For m. 22-23 and 29-end I think those rests in the lower layer should just be more notes.
- For the second page (m. 17-end), I would recommend using power chords (root-fifth-root) instead of the chords you have written - using the fifth instead of the third above the root makes it a little less muddy. So for example m. 17-18 could look like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
- For m. 18 beat 2 and similar rhythms, you might want to consider writing it as a staccato quarter, or unbeaming it from the previous note. (I recommend the former)

Right hand:
- I'd recommend adding in a D in the chord in m. 2 and 6 to make it fuller.
- For the melody in m. 16, make beat 3 an eighth rest instead of a tied Bb. There's a notable rest in the original between the Bb and A. Same idea in m. 23 beat 3.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Jake_Luigi

Files are updated as of 1/11/21
Well, at least I think. The page number on the .mus file might be a little wonky

Latios212

I got the formatting for you, plus some touch-ups to the rest and tie positioning and system distribution :)

This looks great now, approved!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

One singular thing, and I can make the change for you if you want.
I hear this in m18 and m20 LH

Jake_Luigi

If you really don't mind, then yeah you can make the change. Thanks Maelstrom :)

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot