Series: Other
Game: Game & Watch Gallery
Console: Game Boy
Title: Fire
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: ShyYoshiGuy

[attachment deleted by admin]

ShyYoshiGuy

Unfortunately, there does not exist any YouTube video with only this song in it, so this video will have to suffice:
https://youtu.be/dX6zsQ-kzjo?t=253 (You'll need to go to timestamp 4:13)

If you'd prefer an .mp3, this is the one that I used to arrange this song.

Some things right off the bat that I can't change:
 - It doesn't have a proper pickup measure
 - The swing marking doesn't seem to be affecting the bass clef
 - I think the intro should have a bass-with-an-8-under-it clef since the notes are kinda low
 - Same deal with Parachute, can each of the six possible tempos have its own loop?

Excited to finally fulfill nintenerd542's request after eleven years.
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

mastersuperfan

Pretty solid base. As before, I can't import your files into my Finale, so the file fixing will have to wait till a second updater comes along.

In the meantime:
- m1-13 RH should be an octave higher. No need to use 8va, just transpose everything up an octave directly.
- In m14/18/etc. RH, the Cb-Bb-Cb triplet on beat 2 should be written as Bn-A#-Bn instead (Bb-Bn-C, chromatic ascending).
- In m10-13, some of those RH notes just sound like lingering echoes instead of actual notes. Here's how I'd suggest writing it:
Spoiler

[close]
- In general, you're missing a lot of grace notes in the RH throughout the sheet. Try listening for these and adding them in.

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on November 27, 2020, 01:15:53 PM- I think the intro should have a bass-with-an-8-under-it clef since the notes are kinda low
Sounds like the octave you have right now is correct to me.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

ShyYoshiGuy

I was excited to see there was feedback on this. Not three pages long this time, phew. We'll see though, lol.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 01, 2021, 08:42:57 PM- In general, you're missing a lot of grace notes in the RH throughout the sheet. Try listening for these and adding them in.
Bruh. I'm normally good at spotting those. Ok, they're there now.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 01, 2021, 08:42:57 PM- m1-13 RH should be an octave higher. No need to use 8va, just transpose everything up an octave directly.
Sounds like the octave you have right now is correct to me.
I wasn't saying it was the wrong octave, just that now there are quadruple ledger lines at the beginning.

The .mus is updated.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on January 02, 2021, 02:00:46 PMI wasn't saying it was the wrong octave, just that now there are quadruple ledger lines at the beginning.
Oops, I thought you were referring to the LH with the 8-clef reference, not the RH. Either way, the ledger lines in m9 are fine. It's brief and still readable; introducing an 8va would be more awkward.

Other things:
- You can optionally slur the grace notes to the principal notes if you want.
- You might optionally consider a courtesy C natural in m2 RH (i.e. the first measure after the pickup measure) and a courtesy Eb in m6 RH.
- Check the rhythm in m3 RH—the F on beat 4 should actually start a little earlier:

[close]
- Also shown in the above image: the last note in m3 RH should be written as a G# instead of an Ab.
- In m4 LH, the last Bb at the end of the measure should be lowered an octave, and the second-to-last Bb should be raised an octave.
- In m5 LH, the third and fifth eighth notes should be replaced by rests.
- In m2/4/6 RH, the RH note on beat 3.5 (i.e. the quarter note—B in m2, D in m4, D in m6) sounds like it should just be an eighth note followed by an eighth rest instead of a quarter note.
- In m8 LH, the second eighth note should be tied to the first note of the beat 2 triplet.
- m8-9 LH should be transposed up an octave.
- In m23/33 LH, the eighth note shouldn't be tied over to a half note afterward. There should just be a half rest for the second half since the eighth note is short, not held.

Once those things are fixed up, I think it'll look good, Finale formatting aside. Could you also remember to update the PDF/MID files too once you've made these changes?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

ShyYoshiGuy

Haha, I knew it'd come soon. Thanks for the feedback. All those things are changed and I'll update all the files momentarily. (File name ending in "1-2(2)")

Edit 1/8/2021: This is related to this submission, but not worthy of a bump. I asked this on Discord with no success, so here goes.

https://vgmdb.net/album/1991

Is that^ website trustworthy enough to make Jin Sugita the sole composer on this sheet? (And possibly adjust the already-on-site Game Select as well to just Yoko Mizuta.)

Side note: Don't worry about the soundtrack being called "Game Boy Gallery". The 1994 "Game Boy Gallery" didn't include Fire, Octopus, or Oil Panic. 1997 "Game & Watch Gallery" just happened to be called "Game Boy Gallery" in Japan and "Game Boy Gallery 2" in Australia because who likes consistency.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

mastersuperfan

Good stuff. Only other thing I have to say is that there are two chromatic grace notes (Fb and Eb) before m35 RH beat 2 (don't forget the slur).

Meanwhile, I can't use your files in my Finale, so I'll have to pass off the formatting to another updater. Things to handle:
- Measure and system distribution
- Staff and system spacing, to avoid the atrocity that is m8
- Making swing work with LH (should work if you change both hands to play in the same MIDI channel using ScoreManager)
- Pickup measure
- Combine the tempo marking and "swing" into the same expression
- Add all six tempos to the marking and implement it in playback (what are the tempos, by the way?)

For now, I shall approve this.

ShyYoshiGuy

All three files are updated with the grace notes and the tempo text that fell off of the sheet.

Tempos:
This is the base tempo:
https://youtu.be/irZnWlRWgtY?t=273 (Timestamp 4:33)
msf found quarter=168

This is the fastest tempo:
https://youtu.be/rrRdqhCY-4s
msf found quarter=264

This is gameplay I recorded directly from my GBA: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvbxuh9cze6wyyg/Fire%20Gameplay.mp3?dl=1
This (hopefully) clearly shows that six tempos play.

Anyways, with 168, 26**3** and six we get:
168, 187, 206, 225, 244, & 263 - all whole numbers spaced by 19 beats each

What's the best way to do this? I still prefer the 168-263 range for simplicity.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on January 14, 2021, 06:44:52 PMAnyways, with 168, 26**3** and six we get:
168, 187, 206, 224, & 263 - all whole numbers spaced by 19 beats each

You might wanna check your math there

ShyYoshiGuy

- Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 12, 2021, 11:09:41 PMMeanwhile, I can't use your files in my Finale, so I'll have to pass off the formatting to another updater. Things to handle:
- Measure and system distribution
- Staff and system spacing, to avoid the atrocity that is m8
- Making swing work with LH (should work if you change both hands to play in the same MIDI channel using ScoreManager)
- Pickup measure
- Combine the tempo marking and "swing" into the same expression
- Add all six tempos to the marking and implement it in playback (what are the tempos, by the way?)
Grabbed these, as well as:
- Fixed some note durations that should be shorter (some notes in m. 1-2, 5-6,
- Split up the dotted quarter rest in m. 11, half rest in the last measure
- Added a staccato on the last RH quarter note

Uploaded files with the above; let me know if anything looks off before I accept :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ShyYoshiGuy

I love it, thank you guys. It sounds really nice.

Two things then:
 - I'm stupid. The tempo note at the top left doesn't have a period at the end.

- How do you find out if Jin Sugita is in fact the sole composer? If he is, I'd remove Yoko Mizuta's name.
VGMdb says so: https://vgmdb.net/album/1991

You cannot view this attachment.

Other than that, if you agree with the rhythms, then it looks/sounds good to me.
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!

Latios212

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on January 16, 2021, 04:24:01 PMI love it, thank you guys. It sounds really nice.
You're welcome! :)

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on January 16, 2021, 04:24:01 PM- I'm stupid. The tempo note at the top left doesn't have a period at the end.
Got it!

Quote from: ShyYoshiGuy on January 16, 2021, 04:24:01 PM- How do you find out if Jin Sugita is in fact the sole composer? If he is, I'd remove Yoko Mizuta's name.
VGMdb says so: https://vgmdb.net/album/1991

I think vgmdb is a legit source and probably the best we're going to get here, so let's roll with what that says. I've updated the composer info.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot