News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

[MUL] Celeste - "Little Goth" by AcceptedSugar

Started by Zeta, November 30, 2020, 04:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Celeste
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Little Goth
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: AcceptedSugar

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

AcceptedSugar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHdSK43cIf8

This is my second sheet ever- I know that it's probably really rough in ways I don't even know lol

Don't be afraid to be harsh, I just wanna learn as much as I can through this process!

Khunjund

(To link a YouTube video, you can use the appropriate tags like so:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHdSK43cIf8[/youtube]which can be done by either typing them manually; or copy-pasting the URL, then highlighting it within your message and clicking on the icon with YouTube on it (while the message is still highlighted), which is located just above the space for writing the body of your message.)
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Latios212

Quote from: AcceptedSugar on November 30, 2020, 04:14:49 PMThis is my second sheet ever- I know that it's probably really rough in ways I don't even know lol
No this is fantastic lol :P it's clear you put a lot of work into making sure you transcribed everything correctly and presented it in a logical manner. I only have a handful of rather small comments.

First thing - I saw all the discussion about the low treble clef notes, and I think going down to the Eb/E is just barely fine - three ledger lines is readable, plus the slow descent prevents these notes from coming at a surprise. I do however recommend rewriting m. 15-16 like this, as an 8va below treble clef is a bit unusual AND the upper notes would be more easily played by the right hand anyway:
You cannot view this attachment.

A bunch of small things to fix regarding the notes:
- For the first couple of pages, even though the bass descends chromatically, I would recommend writing it using G# and F# (with courtesy naturals in the following measures) instead of Ab and Gb - the reason for this being that they're tones borrowed from A major. It also prevents you from having an odd-looking Ab-An in the left hand in m. 3 and similar. (The Eb is fine to keep since it gives it a diminished sound, and the RH uses Eb as well descending to Dn.)
- m. 21 is missing a D grace note before the melody E
- Use a dotted eighth notes for the D in m. 34/36
- Use courtesy En's in m. 39 and 63
- Similar to the first comment, the Ab in m. 40/63 would be better off as a G#
- Beat 2 of m. 53 - you could make this a quarter note instead of 8th + rest
- You may as well make the half notes whole notes in the last measure to fill up the measure.

Other stuff:
- Fill in the copyright :P
- Probably some kind of "rubato" direction at the start would be nice, to apply to the entire piece as the timing is very loose overall.
- Some of the 8va lines are rather high (for example the first half of page 2). Make sure the space between the 8va line and the highest notes is consistent, not the space between the 8va line and the staff. The 8va line needs to be higher in m. 29-30 than in m. 19-20. You'll want to make tweaks per system rather than use a consistent height across all.
- I think the rall. in m. 32 should be followed by an "a tempo" in m. 33.
- The accel beginning in m. 41-42 has no end, so it's unclear how long the performer is supposed to accelerate for since there's quite a bit left in the piece. Put a tempo marking where the accel is supposed to stop.

I think that's it for now, although when I look at this next I might have a few more small follow-up comments. Again, great work, I typed up a lot here but it's all very small stuff. ;D
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

AcceptedSugar

Hi! Thank you so much for the feedback-

I'll get to this tomorrow right when I get home, I'm super excited to finish it up! Your comments are really helpful, as always. I appreciate all the extra help! :D

Thanks again,
-AcceptedSugar

P.S. I was thinking about extending the ottava over measures 45-48 just so there's not a gap there (there's some high notes too). Do you think that would help clean it up?

AcceptedSugar

Latios212

Awesome! A few follow-up things...

Quote from: AcceptedSugar on December 07, 2020, 11:44:33 PMP.S. I was thinking about extending the ottava over measures 45-48 just so there's not a gap there (there's some high notes too). Do you think that would help clean it up?
Yep, that works well :)

Quote from: Latios212 on December 01, 2020, 08:21:47 PM- For the first couple of pages, even though the bass descends chromatically, I would recommend writing it using G# and F#
m. 17-24 as well

And I think you missed these?
Quote from: Latios212 on December 01, 2020, 08:21:47 PM- You may as well make the half notes whole notes in the last measure to fill up the measure.
Quote from: Latios212 on December 01, 2020, 08:21:47 PM- The accel beginning in m. 41-42 has no end, so it's unclear how long the performer is supposed to accelerate for since there's quite a bit left in the piece. Put a tempo marking where the accel is supposed to stop.

Oh, and the "a tempo" could be bumped left a bit in m. 33, and use https instead of http for the URL ;D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

AcceptedSugar

Ah- you're right, I missed the thing in the last measure. I had a tempo marking but I guess it was too small since you didn't see it, so I went ahead and moved the staff down and added a piu mosso instead (probably makes more sense visually, I think I'm explaining it wrong lol).

I think everything else is fixed, just let me know if I missed anything :D

Latios212

Quote from: AcceptedSugar on December 08, 2020, 07:36:58 PMAh- you're right, I missed the thing in the last measure. I had a tempo marking but I guess it was too small since you didn't see it, so I went ahead and moved the staff down and added a piu mosso instead (probably makes more sense visually, I think I'm explaining it wrong lol).
Ah! Okay, got it.

Last few things from me as I do one last pass for now:
- Tempo marking at the beginning can be lowered slightly
- The dim. and p in m. 15-16 should be lowered to be centered between the staves (or above the top staff if it's meant to be for the RH only)
- Courtesy natural in m. 25 to parallel m. 9?
- For m. 41, I think there should be a way to make it so that the text breaks the barline (instead of intersecting it) but I forget what it is (making an opaque borderless enclosure or something else...). If not that, you could move the cresc. left a bit to make room for the poco a poco accel to fit entirely in 41.

I think that should be mostly it from me :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

AcceptedSugar

I just made all of those changes, :)

None of the barline options really worked, so I just moved the poco a poco accel to the left a bit like you suggested.

Thanks for all the help! I'm excited to finally have a real sheet :D

Latios212

Okay, looks great! You're very welcome as always, approved :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

In general, I would suggest using the longest note durations possible so that there aren't any rests. Most of the time, the pedal is going to be held down throughout each measure, so having rests in the RH mid-measure leads to some ambiguity. Getting rid of the rests also lets the notes ring until they fade away completely, as opposed to being interrupted when you let go. i.e. Turn m2/6/10 RH from a half note to a dotted half, tie m3/17/11 across into the next measure, m13/15/16 RH from a half to a whole note, and so on in m18/19/21/23/etc.

tl;dr I recommend eliminating all the rests in the RH.

Other details:
- Extra "con pedale" in m17 should be deleted
- m15 and m17, your crescendo/decrescendo get really close to touching the barline; shorten the right side a little bit
- m16, move the p to the right a little so that it's centered with the noteheads
- m17, I would start the crescendo on beat 3 instead of beat 2.5
- m41, drag the beginning of the 8va more to the left to fully cover the first beat
- m41, you can combine the two directions into one: "poco a poco accel. e cresc."
- You can fit the sheet on 4 pages by making m49-56 four measures per system
- For the "dim." in m57, align the left edge of the "dim" with the left edge of the notes
- Likewise, it's also a bit clear where the "morendo" at the end is supposed to start; I would align the left edge of it to line up with the left edge of beat 3

EDIT: Oh also, I think "Inc." should be removed from the copyright info
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

AcceptedSugar

Updated!

I did everything as you suggested, except the following:

- I left some rests in the RH where it was clear that the note had faded away.
- I left it at 5 pages; shrinking it down to 4 made the octaves cramped hard to read with the clef change in my opinion... is this okay?

Thanks!  :D