[SWITCH] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - "Overlooking Hyrule - Prelude to Calamity (Title Screen)

Started by Zeta, January 02, 2021, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Overlooking Hyrule - Prelude to Calamity (Title Screen)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Sidon327

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sidon327

Here is "Prelude to Calamity" from Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity which is also one of the title screen pieces (there are different ones for each stage of the game). I wasn't entirely sure what to do about the atmospheric synth pad chords in the background, so I just made them a rolled chord.

Let me know if you think there is a better way i can translate this to the piano :D

Maelstrom

First of all, your tempo mark isn't doing you much good. Edit it, go to the playback, and check the box that says match playback to metronome marking text.

I think the rolled chords are a resonable way to substitute for the pad. But I have 2 suggestions:
a) remove the lowest note in each chord. It doesn't have 1/4 that much low end in it.
b) trim down the RH chord in m13 to make it similar in size and strength to m9.

Otherwise, it looks pretty great.

Postoli

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this piece titled "Overlooking Hyrule (Prelude to Calamity- Title Screen)", seen here:

"Overlooking Hyrule (Prelude to Calamity)" is a different piece in the soundtrack, this one:

And to the best of my knowledge, there is no piece plainly called "Prelude to Calamity" in the OST. Just trying to clear up any confusion.

Latios212

In the game's music gallery, the fuller version (second video linked above) is titled "Overlooking Hyrule - Prelude to Calamity". A quick skim didn't reveal a track corresponding to the first video (the one arranged here) but if that's how it loops on the title screen then I think "Overlooking Hyrule - Prelude to Calamity (Title Screen)" would be fine.

Or you can write out the full version :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sidon327

I made those changes to both the LH chords and the title. I think I'll leave this as a separate sheet just because it could stand alone on its own without the full map theme. However, I may try to tackle the grander version in the future... :P

Also, since this title is very long, would just "Prelude to Calamity (Title Screen)" be okay? Or even just "Title Screen"? If not that's fine, I'm just curious. Thanks for all the feedback! :D

Postoli

Quote from: Sidon327 on January 07, 2021, 08:54:27 PMAlso, since this title is very long, would just "Prelude to Calamity (Title Screen)" be okay? Or even just "Title Screen"? If not that's fine, I'm just curious. Thanks for all the feedback! :D

Personally, I'd say you need the full "Overlooking Hyrule - Prelude to Calamity (Title Screen)".

The main reason is the piece is different for each of those elements. So there's also "Overlooking Hyrule - Amid the Calamity", "Overlooking Hyrule - Amid the Calamity (Title Screen)", "Overlooking Hyrule - After the Calamity" and the list goes on! All different pieces of music!

The specificity of the title indicates to the reader the exact piece they're about to be presented with, and keeps things tidy and accurately sorted on our end, (even if it is a bit long). If it makes it easier, add a bit of space between the title and the composer on the sheet to neaten things up.

Latios212

Yeah, I think the verbose version is better here, along the same lines as Postoli's comment :) I would suggest giving the header more space below it since you have ample room lower on the page:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Additionally, I think we could make a formatting exception here and bring the title text size down to 20 to make it fit on one line if you/others agree.

Also, the whole notes in m. 14 are misaligned. Other than that, looks great!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on January 09, 2021, 09:34:29 AMAdditionally, I think we could make a formatting exception here and bring the title text size down to 20 to make it fit on one line if you/others agree.

Considering that this isn't what has been done in the past for any sheets that exceeded one line, I'd be against changing the title size.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Sidon327

Fixed the misaligned notes and made the text at the top a little less cramped, thanks! :)

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta