[SW] Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - "Beyond the Sky (Acoustic Arrangement)" by JZ

Started by Zeta, January 03, 2021, 07:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Xeno
Game: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Beyond the Sky (Acoustic Arrangement)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: JZ

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

I'll get to checking the notes shortly, but quite note about the game title - shouldn't it be "Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition" since that's the game this song was released in?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

I would argue for Xenoblade Chronicles Devnitive Edition, even if it's from future connected. My reasoning is thus: The special OSTs that included some of the future connected tracks included with the LEs of the game were still on the same disc titled "Xenoblade Definitive Edition Sound Selection." I think that's reason enough.

Libera

You make a compelling argument, but still I'm just not sure we should go with Xenoblade Chronicles Devnitive Edition.  For some reason that I can't quite pin down it doesn't sound right to me.

BlueKirby

Quote from: Libera on January 10, 2021, 03:05:16 PMYou make a compelling argument, but still I'm just not sure we should go with Xenoblade Chronicles Devnitive Edition.  For some reason that I can't quite pin down it doesn't sound right to me.

i think it might be that XE:DE is more of a direct remake than some other remakes (most notably: Pokémon remakes), Libera.

However, I'm going to plus 1 "Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition" (despite not being anyone major rip) because: 1) there are a few tracks with notable differences (biggest example is "An Obstacle in Our Path" being in a different key), meaning the two OSTs are separate due to these differences, and 2) Unlike Torna, which was DLC that was sold both digitally and physically, FC is part of DE, and was promoted as such (i think. didn't pay huge attention to the marketing, but i do recall stuff about FC being like "here's an extra story that's part of the game!").

i probably didn't make this coherent because i'm bad at words, but hopefully my points were at least slightly understandable.
pfp is by me

My MuseScore

play len'en and kid icarus uprising

MomoQca

Mael and Blue brought up some valid points.

I think "Future Connected" should be included somewhere, since that's where it comes from. The logo for "Xenoblade Chronicles: Future Connected" shows up at the very end of the final cutscene.

My problem is that "Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: Future Connected" sounds awkward and pretty lengthy. It's also not a title used in any official way, which is why I omitted "Definitive Edition" in the first place.

Latios212

Right, but we list things on site according to what game they were released in... I wasn't 100% sure but Maelstrom and BlueKirby confirmed - this is for content included in the definitive edition without a separate physical release, DLC release or any of the sort. We should be using "Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition".

Quote from: Libera on January 10, 2021, 03:05:16 PMYou make a compelling argument, but still I'm just not sure we should go with Xenoblade Chronicles Devnitive Edition.  For some reason that I can't quite pin down it doesn't sound right to me.
Quote from: BlueKirby on January 10, 2021, 03:28:47 PMi think it might be that XE:DE is more of a direct remake than some other remakes (most notably: Pokémon remakes), Libera.
I think that was a joke about mael's spelling inability

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Ok to be clear I was just making a joke about Mael's iconic spelling.  Definitive Edition is clearly the obvious choice here.

MomoQca

Quote from: Libera on January 10, 2021, 10:53:57 PMOk to be clear I was just making a joke about Mael's iconic spelling.  Definitive Edition is clearly the obvious choice here.

Oh, haha. I didn't catch that the first time.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 10, 2021, 06:12:33 PMRight, but we list things on site according to what game they were released in... I wasn't 100% sure but Maelstrom and BlueKirby confirmed - this is for content included in the definitive edition without a separate physical release, DLC release or any of the sort. We should be using "Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition".
I think that was a joke about mael's spelling inability

Hmm. Okay, I understand. I will change it to the proper title.

Latios212

I edited the game title. I should have time to start reviewing this one within the next few days :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Alright here we go... won't go through the entire thing at once but here's everything up to m. 50 (around 2.5 minutes in, around where the orchestra starts)
- I think the left hand in m. 2 is just dyads (i.e. no Eb between the top and bottom note except for beat 3)
- Beat 4 of m. 4 LH doesn't restrike the Eb
- The first RH chord in m. 12 I think should also have a C in it
- m. 29 sounds like it should just be whole notes
- Would recommend tying over the last dyad from m. 35 into 36, and 41 into 42 (similar to 13-14 and 33-34)
- m. 37 beat 3 RH can just be a dotted quarter
- m. 46 beat 3 LH should have a Bb under the D

Also, it's a bit hard to properly separate out the main melody from the accompaniment in the RH since it's all piano - but there are a few places where I think a few notes could be moved to the left hand instead. These include:
- m. 25, the Eb and G in beats 2.5-3
- m. 26, the F on beat 3

Let me know if the above all sound right and if you want me to update the files for you as we go.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

MomoQca

Made all of the changes per your feedback, plus a few minor ones. Please me know if I overlooked something thus far.

Latios212

Quote from: MomoQca on January 24, 2021, 06:37:44 PMMade all of the changes per your feedback, plus a few minor ones. Please me know if I overlooked something thus far.
Cool. Do you mind noting what the changes are in the future? Just so I can check nothing that was correct before got interfered with :)

In regards to the above feedback, I think you missed this one:
Quote from: Latios212 on January 23, 2021, 10:08:34 AM- The first RH chord in m. 12 I think should also have a C in it

Also, you can have just one roll marking in m. 29 that covers both chords.

I will continue checking the rest soon as well~

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

MomoQca

I don't know how I missed that lol. Thanks! I will reupload the file in the next big update. Also, not sure how to make a single roll marking for both chords.

I did two things in the previous update. The first was adding pedal markings to the sheet. I couldn't find a way to hide them. The other one I corrected the RH middle note in m. 73 beat 3.