[DELETED] [SNES] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - "File Select" by Wolf Link

Started by Zeta, January 16, 2021, 09:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: File Select
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Wolf Link

Static

Somehow we don't have this version of this classic tune yet, and it's the original one too...

First of all, you should link the source track whenever you submit something. That could be a YouTube video or a file download:

• The key should actually be Gb Major. It was changed to F Major in subsequent games, but the LttP version specifically is in Gb.
  • I recommend titling this piece "File Select/Fairy Fountain" or something similar since the latter is also a very common title.
  • The way you have the notes tied like that in the RH is rather... inelegant. I agree that the first 16th on each beat should be a separate voice, but the best way to communicate that is actually by putting it in a separate layer like so:
    Spoiler

This is very typical piano-style writing.
    [close]
  • I'd also recommend writing out specific pedal markings so that the player knows to separate the chords.
  • Doing the above change will allow more horizontal space so you can make this 2 measures per system (line) rather than 1.
  • On beat 3 RH, the chromatic note should be spelled with a sharp/natural rather than a flat because it makes min/maj7 chords (i.e. G-Bb-D-F#).
  • m6 RH: Gbs should be F#s (Abbs should be Gns in Gbmaj); this is an Eb7b9 chord (Eb-G-Bb-Db-Fb).
  • Most of the LH measures should have notes on beat 1 and 3 as well, but currently you just have 16th rests.
  • m2 LH beat 1.5 should be C instead of D (Db instead of Eb in Gbmaj).
  • m7 LH beat 3.75 should be A instead of Bb (Bb instead of Cb in Gbmaj).
  • m8 LH beat 1.25 should be C instead of G (Db instead of Ab in Gbmaj)
  • Lastly, I hear the entire piece an octave above where you currently have it written.

Various formatting things:
  • Composer and Arranger should be either "Composed/Arranged by" or "Composition/Arrangement by"
  • Tempo marking should have an image of a note value rather than text.
  • "Pno." markings on subsequent systems aren't necessary.
  • Measure numbers are missing.
  • Copyright info/url are missing.
For more details on exact formatting specifications, check out the formatting guide here.

It looks like you use NotePad, so I made a .mus file with all the changes above for you; you can find that here. Let me know if you have any questions or if you disagree with anything.

Static

Bumping this for you... if you're still around please respond when you can

Libera

I'm going to archive this one for inactivity.  Feel free to resubmit after taking account of Static's feedback.