Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Molduga Battle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Postoli

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Postoli

Here is my arrangement of "Molduga Battle" from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild!

This arrangement is based on the full 4 minute track consisting of both Phase I and Phase II. Unfortunately this version is almost impossible to find on YouTube, since it seems Nintendo likes to go a little copyright-claim-happy. Because of this, below is the shorter 2 minute version - please note this does not completely align with the score above; the form of my submission is based on the 4 minute version.

Also, note that I'm a Musescore-Mac user, so I have no way of viewing or editing the finale file.  ;)

Latios212

Quote from: Postoli on January 17, 2021, 04:55:51 PMThis arrangement is based on the full 4 minute track consisting of both Phase I and Phase II. Unfortunately this version is almost impossible to find on YouTube, since it seems Nintendo likes to go a little copyright-claim-happy. Because of this, below is the shorter 2 minute version - please note this does not completely align with the score above; the form of my submission is based on the 4 minute version.
I have the soundtrack downloaded... here's the full version: [link]

It's nearly the same thing, except it repeats (the YouTube video linked above skips straight to the coda from m. 84). So that means m. 85-96 can only be heard in this full version.

Interestingly, though, the full version skips to the coda after m. 88 instead of after m. 84. I'm not sure what the exact source is for the YouTube video (I think the version I have is from the Japanese OST fan-translated to English but I don't remember). Musically, jumping from either point makes sense. Though, might we want to note that the jump to the coda can occur anytime (similar to our Hinox and Talus battle sheets on site) given that the Molduga can be defeated at any point in the music?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Postoli

Yeah, I guess, depends if we want it to be presented as a complete piece or in that battle-esque 'when you finish the fight the music jumps' style.

The only thing about this one is I think the form is particularly unique compared to the other boss battles, so it'd also make sense to just leave it. Either way.

Latios212

Quote from: Postoli on January 18, 2021, 02:16:43 AMThe only thing about this one is I think the form is particularly unique compared to the other boss battles, so it'd also make sense to just leave it. Either way.
Yeah, I think this can stay as is, just wanted to bring it up ^^

Thanks for your patience on this one. I've been pretty busy lately but am checking it now. It looks awesome, just a few small things from me:
- The first half of the piece (to the key change m. 44) should be in F#m (three sharps) just like in the end section.
- Last note in m. 12/16 LH should be G instead of D
- I think it would be better to omit the E in the first layer of m. 61 beat 1 to avoid the overlap with the second layer
- I think the slur markings in m. 71-72 would be better if they ended on the third note instead of being between each pair of eighths
- The A on beat 3.5 of m. 74 is an octave down (unlike the previous iteration!)

I made the above adjustments as well as a few formatting fixes I missed last time. New files are in the panel and you can look at the PDF to check.

Just one thing left for your input, aside from checking that everything above is okay:
- For m. 17-27, I'm not hearing the low A#s in the LH. I only hear F#s in the original and the A# sounds a bit too low for this part.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Postoli

Thanks for all of this. regarding m. 17-27, they cooouuuulld be C#s instead of A#s, or just F#s. It's hard to tell. If you maybe want to test the C#s and see if that lines up with the recording better (although it is very tricky to work out since it is so low, and even lower when slowed down). Otherwise we can just make them all F#s.

Static

Hey sorry for the late response on this one. I really appreciate you doing the full-length version of this - such a cool track when all the pieces are in place.

I just have a few things to say:
  • For m17-27, fortunately we live in a world where we can download audio and manipulate it with various computer programs... At least when I listen to it an octave up, it sounds like all F#s in that section, so the A#s are likely some overtone. Now that said, I of course mean F#0 is that low note, which is not available on a standard 88-key piano... I think A# actually would work better than C# just because it's so low, so it gives you that woody timbre - it's hard to hear what that note even is when played on a piano. Those are my two cents at least.
  • I hear a mordent on beat 4.5 of m76 RH.
  • Maybe put a crescendo in m80?
  • I hear what sounds like a C# grace note on beat 3.5 of m82/84 RH.
  • On beat 3.5 of m82/84 LH, you have a dotted quarter in m82 but a quarter in m83 - in the original track they both sound like a dotted quarter to me.
  • The second chord in m97 RH should have a B between the G and D.
  • m99 beat 1 RH should have an Eb below the G.
  • One last thing: sometimes when you have a dotted quarter note on beat 3.5, you write it as two tied notes (like in m12), and other times you write it as a dotted quarter (m92). It should probably be consistent throughout.

Really great work here

Postoli

Hey, thanks for all this. Here are my responses to your notes:

- This is interesting, I'm happy to go either way, whatever you think is best.
- Same here - thanks for that; updated
- Agreed
- I myself can't seem to hear this; maybe I'm missing something
- I'm assuming you mean dotted quarter (sorry I'm Australian, still trying to get my tongue around that way of referring to it) at the end of 82, but not on 84, I agree if this is the case; updated this too.
- Agreed; updated
- I'm assuming you're referring to RH here, if yes, I've updated it.
- Gotcha

Now...here's the thing... I've made all these updates in my own file, however it's kinda useless..........

I'm a Musescore-Mac user, so I can't actually do anything with the file I've updated, and there's no point me making these small updates and then sending for conversion to Finale, cause it'll just screw up the formatting all over again and someone will have to go through and match the formatting of my PDF again, so...

I'd really appreciate it if you (Static) or Latios212 could make the updates you've outlined in the linked Finale file and attach the respective PDF and MIDI files to this submission, since me making these changes wouldn't make any difference.

Thank you for your help!!

Static

Made all of those changes according to your responses (after listening to m82/84 RH again I also don't hear the grace note). The only other point of contention I have is the A# in m63, which is not playable as written but still pretty easy if you arpeggiate it slightly. The files have been updated, so I'll approve now.

Latios212

Great, thanks you two! I'm giving this one last skim and adjusting a couple of tiny things:
- Bumping a couple of measures up a system so m. 22-30 all have 3 measures per system (it was uneven before with one with 2 and one with 4)
- Moving the "To Coda" slightly to the right in m. 84 away from the note
- Adding a bit of extra space between staves in m. 97 so the parts aren't so close on beat 3.75

Let's get this one in :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta