News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[PS1] Threads of Fate - "Forest of Journeys Begun" by Static

Started by Zeta, January 18, 2021, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Threads of Fate
Console: PlayStation
Title: Forest of Journeys Begun
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Title from here under "English (unofficial)"; that label is kind of misleading because both sets of English names are unofficial... However the "(unofficial)" names are generally more faithful translations of the Japanese titles and are more widely used. This track in particular is also known as "Passing Through the Forest" but I'm not sure where that name comes from, I haven't seen it on any albums.

Maelstrom

RH first:
m28b3 - note is a G, not an A.
m29 -  I hear more notes here, like a D on b2 and a Eb on 3.5, same for m30.
m31-32 - While possibly a bit tricky to play, I hear all the quarters here as a pair of 8ths on F and D
These things apply to the repeat of this section in the following measures.
LH:
I'm not really feeling those rhythmic chords in the first layer. They bump the difficulty of the song by a large margin and make it muddy, especially in the ped. regions. They're certainly there, but they feel like a background element that doesn't contribute to the feel of the song as much as the other voices it drowns out. Heck, I don't really notice it in a casual listen after the melody comes in in m25. The main issue I see with it is the strength/number of notes in the chords and the high difficulty to play such large chords so quickly and lightly so as not to drown out everything else.
Just my 2 cents.

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 12:44:27 PMm28b3 - note is a G, not an A.
Fixed

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 12:44:27 PMm29 -  I hear more notes here, like a D on b2 and a Eb on 3.5, same for m30.
I don't hear this at all.

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 12:44:27 PMm31-32 - While possibly a bit tricky to play, I hear all the quarters here as a pair of 8ths on F and D
Sounds like those should be Eb instead of D, but added.

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 12:44:27 PMI'm not really feeling those rhythmic chords in the first layer. They bump the difficulty of the song by a large margin and make it muddy, especially in the ped. regions. They're certainly there, but they feel like a background element that doesn't contribute to the feel of the song as much as the other voices it drowns out. Heck, I don't really notice it in a casual listen after the melody comes in in m25. The main issue I see with it is the strength/number of notes in the chords and the high difficulty to play such large chords so quickly and lightly so as not to drown out everything else.
Just my 2 cents.
I wanted to capture the lush chords of the original track, but also including some of the rhythmic energy (particularly the 4:3 polyrhythm in m19-20 and similar). The 1st layer rhythm is taken from the snare drum. The chords I felt like would be better included in the LH than to try and fit them in the RH, since the range of the RH varies much more.
Secondly, I tried playing this accompaniment when arranging this and specifically wrote it because it wasn't that hard to play; the LH doesn't move very often at all (keep in mind these are all just 7th chords). Obviously the layers can be kind of tricky to play together, but once you practice it for a little bit, it's not too much trouble. To keep the melody from being drowned out, you could just play the accompaniment a little softer. All this is just to say, when I tried playing it myself, it sounded a lot better since, as the performer, you have the liberty to dynamically adjust how prominent each voice is in the mix.

I could take out the 5th in those chords if you want (starting at m25), but I don't personally see much of a reason to.

Maelstrom

If it sounds better on piano, I'll take your word for it.
I'll stamp this with approval but would like the next updater to check:
Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 12:44:27 PMm29 RH -  I hear more notes here, like a D on b2 and a Eb on 3.5, same for m30.

Static

A little update, I recently found out that there was actually an official English release of this soundtrack on iTunes (here), I happened to see it on the sidebar on the VGMdB page I linked. I've changed the title accordingly to "Forest of Journeys Begun".

mastersuperfan

Wow, this is really good.

I have nothing to add, except...

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 12:44:27 PMm29 -  I hear more notes here, like a D on b2 and a Eb on 3.5, same for m30.
I can't hear the D on beat 2, but I clearly hear the Eb on beat 3.5 for m29/30/37/38.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 14, 2021, 11:23:05 PMI can't hear the D on beat 2, but I clearly hear the Eb on beat 3.5 for m29/30/37/38.
Ah, I think I hear that now. Added

mastersuperfan

Oh wait, one more thing.
- The eighth rest in m20 RH should be moved down—I would position it so that it rests between the third and fifth lines of the staff.
- While we're at it, you could move m41/49 LH beat 1 quarter rests down one or two more notches too...
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by mastersuperfan.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot