News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[SWITCH] Monster Hunter Rise - "Kamura's Song of Purification (Hinoa)" by Th3Gavst3r

Started by Zeta, January 25, 2021, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Monster Hunter
Game: Monster Hunter Rise
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Kamura's Song of Purification (Hinoa)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Th3Gavst3r

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

Personally I think we should stick to only putting sheets up for properly released games (i.e. excluding demos and promotional material).  Two main reasons:

-Information about the game might change, even extending to the game not releasing in the same format or even at all.
-More importantly, the music might change.

Editing these after the fact is a pain that is entirely avoidable by just waiting until the game releases properly.

I know this has been done in the past, but this was before my time on the staff, and I don't really think precedent is a good argument in this case.

Latios212

Hmm... promotional material is a bit iffy for me but I think music from demos should be fine.
- It still is an official release where music is heard in-game (unlike, say, promotional videos where music is used with voice commentary over a montage)
- Changing metadata like the game info or track title is trivial to do later. If the game never releases, the demo still has.
- In the unlikely event that the music does change before the official release, we can tag "Demo Version" or something to the title.

Basically, what I'm saying is by virtue of being in a demo, the music is already officially released and hardly any trouble for us to maintain sheets from it.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on January 26, 2021, 06:30:45 AMIf the game never releases, the demo still has.

I don't think we should have sheets on site for games that only ever got demos.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 26, 2021, 06:30:45 AM- In the unlikely event that the music does change before the official release, we can tag "Demo Version" or something to the title.

That is an almost guaranteed way to ensure that we always have the 'Demo Version' and not the proper version.  I think it's a bad idea.

What is the harm in waiting?  I'm failing to see it.  Two months is nothing for the site in the grand scheme of things.  Why not just wait to avoid all these potential issues?

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on January 26, 2021, 06:37:50 AMI don't think we should have sheets on site for games that only ever got demos.
Debatable... though in this case I can't imagine a title like this not releasing

Quote from: Libera on January 26, 2021, 06:37:50 AMThat is an almost guaranteed way to ensure that we always have the 'Demo Version' and not the proper version.  I think it's a bad idea.
Nothing's set in stone... the proper version can always be submitted later as a new sheet or a replacement

Quote from: Libera on January 26, 2021, 06:37:50 AMWhat is the harm in waiting?  I'm failing to see it.  Two months is nothing for the site in the grand scheme of things.  Why not just wait to avoid all these potential issues?
That's your opinion, but I don't think it's fair to deny someone a submission because of that.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on January 26, 2021, 06:37:50 AMWhat is the harm in waiting?  I'm failing to see it.  Two months is nothing for the site in the grand scheme of things.  Why not just wait to avoid all these potential issues?

What is the harm in submitting it now? People are both playing the demo and doing things with its music across the Internet. Modifying the arrangement, which is not a foreseeable necessity, only concerns Gav and at least one updater.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Discussed with the updaters and we decided that yes, this is fine to submit as it's from an officially release demo. If anything changes upon release I'll help update the sheet.

Anyway, feedback! One main thing from me - definitely would recommend that you use two layers in m. 12 to separate the sustained D in the voice from the rest of the line there.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Latios212 on February 01, 2021, 03:11:21 PMAnyway, feedback! One main thing from me - definitely would recommend that you use two layers in m. 12 to separate the sustained D in the voice from the rest of the line there.

Good suggestion, added it

Latios212

Cool! I would suggest putting that eighth rest at normal height on the staff.

Other than that, approved :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Latios212 on February 07, 2021, 07:33:25 PMCool! I would suggest putting that eighth rest at normal height on the staff.

I guess it does look alright down there after all, lowered it down

I also flipped the stems on m7 b3&4 to keep the voice line clear, and added a couple more dynamic marks at m2&5

Maelstrom

m11 b3 has the shamisen (?) playing a G here, wouldn't be hard to add it as a 5th harmony in the LH.
Ped text? You have the hidden smart shapes but nothing to indicate that to the player.
Should it be "Composed by the CAPCOM Sound Team" ? I have no clue, just throwing it out there.

That's it, looks nice.

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 01:01:35 PMm11 b3 has the shamisen (?) playing a G here, wouldn't be hard to add it as a 5th harmony in the LH.
I mainly left it out because it's in the same register as the voice, and doubling the octaves with pedal makes that section in particular even muddier combined with the density from the LH 16th notes

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 01:01:35 PMPed text? You have the hidden smart shapes but nothing to indicate that to the player.
I've never been really sure about the rules for when to apply pedal notation :/
In this case, the pedal points seemed pretty straightforward and writing down two points per measure looked like a lot of clutter to me

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2021, 01:01:35 PMShould it be "Composed by the CAPCOM Sound Team" ? I have no clue, just throwing it out there.
I couldn't find an example citation for them anywhere, but they always brand things with "CAPCOM/Capcom Sound Team" so I went with that. I was planning to replace it with the actual composer when they release that info, but for now I added "the" to raise fewer eyebrows lol

Maelstrom

by ped marking I mean just some dynamic that says "con ped." or something to indicate that pedal should be used in the song, not necessarily all the markings.

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 18, 2021, 05:37:36 AMby ped marking I mean just some dynamic that says "con ped." or something to indicate that pedal should be used in the song, not necessarily all the markings.
Ohhh yeah, went ahead and added one of those

Also just found a citation for the title on https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise/us/
You cannot view this attachment.