Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy V
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Ending Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

This is a long one, but there are lots of repeated sections, so it's only about ~4min of original music

Fittingly, this is also the last FFV replacement.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on January 25, 2021, 09:53:11 PMFittingly, this is also the last FFV replacement.
Woohoo!

Went through it and it looks pretty good. Just a few small things to comment on:
- You could adjust the spacing in m. 7 slightly so the stem doesn't overlap the top whole note
- m. 20 sounds a bit high compared to everything else around it. Perhaps consider dropping it an octave?
- The cresc. in m. 86 would be extended to the right a bit
- I think the section in m. 107-108 would be easier read in A rather than Bbb...
- Is there supposed to be a circle after the Tempo I in m. 117
- Raise the slur in m. 119 a bit
- Maybe reposition the slur in m. 136 beat 1 a bit so it doesn't go right into the notehead
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

For m20, I think I want to keep it as-is because the line in both hands leads right to m21, and those are the correct octaves in the original (although there is an additional lower one). I just think it flows easier that way. I did add a low D on beat 1 though for some extra weight. And yeah, tempo primo can be written as Tempo I, Tempo I°, or Tempo 1°, and there's probably a bunch of other ways too. I just picked that one.

Everything else has been fixed. I also changed the "with spirit" section to repeat 4 times instead of 3, since that's what it does.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Good stuff. m103-106 sounds a lot like Goomba Road from Paper Mario.
- The starting tempo mark could be moved up a bit so it's not so close to the slur and notes. Actually, I think most of your tempo markings would look better moved a bit up.
- The ends of your (de)crescendos should extend a bit further, generally—through the last note they're modifying, not at the left edge of the note. See: m8, m50, etc.
- This is super nitpicky but I would move the "cresc." in m28 a little more to the right.
- m34 RH: natural is a bit close to Layer 1. Up to you whether that's close enough to be worth adjusting...
- Maybe "molto rit." instead of just "rit." in m41 would be helpful because it's such a sudden, drastic slowdown.
- The intersection between the beginning of that slur and the ledger line in m50 looks really weird to me, but I don't know how much you can change it to make it look better.
- m50/51 key change, remove the naturals?
- The dynamic marking in m51 should be moved slightly right and down.
- The mf in m63 is exactly one increment lower than the sfz and it bothers me.
- m63 onward: I feel like you have a really big aversion to using staccato quarter notes here. I think it's fine, but I feel like quarter notes might look better in m79, where the rhythm parallels all the measures that come after it...
- Should the crescendo in m100 be touching the barline? I don't like how it looks but I'm not sure if it's correct if it continues to the next system... Same for m137.
- Any reason why m107/109 beat 2 isn't written in two layers like the other beats?
- Dotted quarter instead of quarter tied eighth for m114 RH beat 1?
- I hear m111/112 RH beat 4 re-articulated instead of tied.
- Continue the crescendo in m115? Not sure if it's easy to notate an "in-progress" crescendo there though...
- Crescendo in m138 and forte in m139 are misaligned.
- In the last three measures, I hear an F in the RH chord as well, but I'm assuming you omitted it intentionally?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 26, 2021, 11:33:36 PM- The intersection between the beginning of that slur and the ledger line in m50 looks really weird to me, but I don't know how much you can change it to make it look better.
Slurs can go through staff lines, and ledger lines are just extensions of the staff. I didn't really think it was an issue. Edit: I adjusted it a bit

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 26, 2021, 11:33:36 PM- m63 onward: I feel like you have a really big aversion to using staccato quarter notes here. I think it's fine, but I feel like quarter notes might look better in m79, where the rhythm parallels all the measures that come after it...
I want to be extra clear to the reader that the staccato notes should be extraordinarily light and separated, and that the quarter notes should be held for their full value. I think that having staccato quarter notes alongside unmarked quarter notes can sometimes be ambiguous and throw people off, so I like to be very clear in my articulations.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 26, 2021, 11:33:36 PM- Should the crescendo in m100 be touching the barline? I don't like how it looks but I'm not sure if it's correct if it continues to the next system... Same for m137.
Since it continues to the next system, yes.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 26, 2021, 11:33:36 PM- Any reason why m107/109 beat 2 isn't written in two layers like the other beats?
Because both layers play a quarter note there. It just streamlines the part a bit.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 26, 2021, 11:33:36 PM- Dotted quarter instead of quarter tied eighth for m114 RH beat 1?
Since I beamed the other 8th note rhythms in this section in groups of 2 rather than 4, the way I have it written is more consistent with that.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 26, 2021, 11:33:36 PM- I hear m111/112 RH beat 4 re-articulated instead of tied.
I double-checked the original SNES sound file, and that voice is indeed tied there.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 26, 2021, 11:33:36 PM- Continue the crescendo in m115? Not sure if it's easy to notate an "in-progress" crescendo there though...
Yeah idk how to do that, so I just put a new crescendo there.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 26, 2021, 11:33:36 PM- In the last three measures, I hear an F in the RH chord as well, but I'm assuming you omitted it intentionally?
There is no F, but it appears as an overtone in the timpani part. So yeah I did omit it intentionally.

Everything else has been fixed.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by mastersuperfan.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot