News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[PS1] Mega Man X5 - "X vs. Zero" by Renaud Bergeron

Started by Zeta, January 26, 2021, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Mega Man
Game: Mega Man X5
Console: PlayStation
Title: X vs. Zero
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Renaud Bergeron

[attachment deleted by admin]

Khunjund

I'm going to be honest, I never played a Mega Man game in my life.

The only reason I know this song is because of the Flash game Powerpuff Girls Dōjinshi: Battle in Megaville.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

LeviR.star

The way I know this theme is through a fan game, Mega Man Unlimited. This song gets merged with X1's Zero theme to create "Division By Zero":

Good stuff.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

• Only Naoya Kamisaka composed this particular track, as seen here.
  • The first system looks pretty cramped, particular the first measure where the last 16th note is almost touching the barline.
  • The quarter note on beat 4 of m10 and 16 RH should be an 8th-16th-16th rhythm (F#-G-F#).
  • That rhythm in m24 RH should be a dotted 8th note rather than tied to a 16th.
  • m29 RH is missing a tie in the melody.
  • In m25 and 34, you can flip the Layer 1 notes down where the Layer 2 rests are hidden.

Khunjund

Static

Dekkadeci

Hey neat, one of my favourite Mega Man-series themes! (Why do the X and Zero sub-series have better music than the others, IMO...)

The rhythm of the Bar 1 run actually doesn't sound like it's 100% there - I actually hear a 16th-note triplet of D#-C-B in the original on Beat 4 instead of your D#-C.

I hear the highest note of Bar 10 as the closest B whole note above your whole note F# there.

The 16th-note drumming pattern sounds like it goes through the entirety of Bar 14 in the original, to the point that your left-hand accompaniment sounds off.

I hear the melody of Bar 24 in the original as D dotted 16th note -> C 8th tied to 16th -> B 8th note -> A 8th note -> B 8th note -> C 16th note -> D dotted 16th note. Note that I bolded all the notes that don't match your sheet music.

I appreciate your efforts to transcribe the original's busy whirring accompaniment with red notes (at least they're red in Finale), but the crunch between C and B in Bar 25 sounds too dissonant to match the original.

I hear the melody of Bar 32 in the original as B dotted 16th note -> D 8th tied to 16th -> C 8th note -> B quarter note -> A 8th note -> B 8th note. Again, I bolded all the notes that don't match your sheet music.

Khunjund

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 21, 2021, 08:19:21 AMThe rhythm of the Bar 1 run actually doesn't sound like it's 100% there - I actually hear a 16th-note triplet of D#-C-B in the original on Beat 4 instead of your D#-C.

Maybe it's because of the distortion or drums, because I listened at 0.5 playback speed I'm pretty sure the electric guitar only has straight sixteenths.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 21, 2021, 08:19:21 AMThe 16th-note drumming pattern sounds like it goes through the entirety of Bar 14 in the original, to the point that your left-hand accompaniment sounds off.

The drums have the same rhythm as in measure 19, etc. The only constant 16ths are in the synth pads, which I've left out completely. Anyway, the way I see it, it's not any worse than beat 4 of measures 12, 16, or 18. I'm not sure what you'd like me to do here.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 21, 2021, 08:19:21 AMI appreciate your efforts to transcribe the original's busy whirring accompaniment with red notes (at least they're red in Finale), but the crunch between C and B in Bar 25 sounds too dissonant to match the original.

Yes, i agree that the dissonance is more pronounced than the original; however, personally I am fine with that. I'll consider it some more.

Everything else has been changed (plus some tweaks to the rhythm in measure 22).

Latios212

Nice work, and a bunch of good adjustments to make this piano-friendly. Just a handful of small things.

- For m. 2/4/6/8 how about writing beat 3 like you did m. 12? The bass and percussion don't actually have that sustained strike on beat 3 like they do in m. 3/5/etc.
- Any particular reason for not using dotted quarter notes in m. 11/13/15/17 beat 1?
- m. 12/16 beat 4 RH sounds like 16th-16th-8th instead of 8th-16th-16th.
- m. 20 beat 4 RH sounds like it should be a F# on bottom instead of a G?
- Thoughts about maybe removing the lower notes on the ascending dyads in m. 21 and 25? Those seem far more difficult to play than anything else on the sheet
- Slur should go above the notes in m. 25
- I think it might look nicer if the tie directions were flipped normally in m. 30 since the second layer doesn't really interfere visually in those parts
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Khunjund

Quote from: Latios212 on May 31, 2021, 12:23:31 PM
  • Any particular reason for not using dotted quarter notes in m. 11/13/15/17 beat 1?

IDK I just thought it looked better that way.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 31, 2021, 12:23:31 PM
  • Thoughts about maybe removing the lower notes on the ascending dyads in m. 21 and 25? Those seem far more difficult to play than anything else on the sheet

I thought about it, yea (that's already kind of what I did with the last two 16ths in measure 21, where it got too hard for me LOL), but I figured it's pretty easy to just leave out the bottom notes when play it yourself.

Everything else has been changed.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot