News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[PS2] Final Fantasy X - "Auron's Theme" (Replacement) by Libera

Started by Zeta, February 06, 2021, 03:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy X
Console: PlayStation 2
Title: Auron's Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

Maelstrom

RH:
-m11b3 - I hear this note as a Eb
-m23 - I hear chords on b3.25, 3.5, same in m24 b3.5
Now that I listen, I also hear this in m11 and m12, but only on b3.5 in each measure.
-m34/37 - I hear a grace note before b4.5

LH - just one thing. Do you view the pickup Dn in every even numbered measure more important than the bass guitar holding the E for that note instead? I think I might actually favor changing it to emphasize the guitar's lack of movement and contrast it more with the even numbered measures, but this one's up to you.

I don't believe this is a true DS, the first 2 measures' basslines only play once.

Great sheet, and I really like the original song too.

Libera

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 15, 2021, 04:04:33 PM-m11b3 - I hear this note as a Eb

Not super sure but I changed it.

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 15, 2021, 04:04:33 PM-m23 - I hear chords on b3.25, 3.5, same in m24 b3.5
Now that I listen, I also hear this in m11 and m12, but only on b3.5 in each measure.

I changed things a bit (i.e. more chords) although I tried to keep it consistent.  I don't want there to be too many chords getting in the way of the melody.

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 15, 2021, 04:04:33 PM-m34/37 - I hear a grace note before b4.5

Added.

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 15, 2021, 04:04:33 PMLH - just one thing. Do you view the pickup Dn in every even numbered measure more important than the bass guitar holding the E for that note instead? I think I might actually favor changing it to emphasize the guitar's lack of movement and contrast it more with the even numbered measures, but this one's up to you.

I didn't think I was substituting anything for the bass?  I listened to it again and still hear what I wrote in, so not sure what you mean exactly.

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 15, 2021, 04:04:33 PMI don't believe this is a true DS, the first 2 measures' basslines only play once.

I think my omission of the segno (fixed now) confused you here into thinking it was a D.C.  The loop should be right now.

Thanks for checking and files updated.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Libera on February 16, 2021, 01:34:35 PMI didn't think I was substituting anything for the bass?  I listened to it again and still hear what I wrote in, so not sure what you mean exactly.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I don't hear the bass guitar playing a Dn in m6/8/10 etc. Since you hear it the way you wrote it, I'm fine with leaving this in the hands of the next updater and approving for now.

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 02, 2021, 05:43:33 PMHmm, I'm pretty sure I don't hear the bass guitar playing a Dn in m6/8/10 etc. Since you hear it the way you wrote it, I'm fine with leaving this in the hands of the next updater and approving for now.
The reason why you don't hear the bass guitar playing a Dn is because it isn't; the piano is. The bass is playing Db on most of those pickups. So there's a Db and Dn happening at the same time - the reason why it doesn't sound dissonant is the difference in timbre. I think Dn works fine on piano, and it doesn't appear in any other part so it gives the LH some variety.
  • Some of those 8th rests in the RH (Layer 1) are touching the top of the staff, and some aren't. They should all be aligned.
  • The top dot on the dotted 8th note in m9, 11, 17, 21, and 23 (RH, beat 3.25) is slightly off. If you were worried about it touching Layer 1, it won't.

Otherwise looks pretty great, very nice to see more FF replacements

Libera

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 02, 2021, 05:43:33 PMHmm, I'm pretty sure I don't hear the bass guitar playing a Dn in m6/8/10 etc. Since you hear it the way you wrote it, I'm fine with leaving this in the hands of the next updater and approving for now.

Quote from: Static on March 17, 2021, 04:08:23 PMThe reason why you don't hear the bass guitar playing a Dn is because it isn't; the piano is. The bass is playing Db on most of those pickups. So there's a Db and Dn happening at the same time - the reason why it doesn't sound dissonant is the difference in timbre. I think Dn works fine on piano, and it doesn't appear in any other part so it gives the LH some variety.

That makes sense to me.  I guess I'll leave it as it is.  Happy to hear more thoughts about it though since it's a pretty weird situation.

Quote from: Static on March 17, 2021, 04:08:23 PMSome of those 8th rests in the RH (Layer 1) are touching the top of the staff, and some aren't. They should all be aligned.

I tried to place them pretty consistently; I moved them up a notch for the high Dbs in bars 4 6 etc.  They look too high up to me at that height in the other bars and too close to the Dbs if I don't move them, so that was my reasoning.  One rest placement was inconsistent with respect to this so I fixed that.

Quote from: Static on March 17, 2021, 04:08:23 PMThe top dot on the dotted 8th note in m9, 11, 17, 21, and 23 (RH, beat 3.25) is slightly off. If you were worried about it touching Layer 1, it won't.

You're right that they don't touch but they looked very awkward to me that close so I adjusted them to the left.

Quote from: Static on March 17, 2021, 04:08:23 PMOtherwise looks pretty great, very nice to see more FF replacements

Thanks!  It'll be nice to finish off FFX.

Static

All those things make sense I think. I'll accept now, looks good.

Edit:
Quote from: Libera on March 19, 2021, 03:56:21 AMHappy to hear more thoughts about it though since it's a pretty weird situation.
I guess if anyone has thoughts before I accept, feel free to post. I think its good as-is.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot