Shy's G&WG Transcriptions [New: 2 - Chef]

Started by ShyYoshiGuy, December 27, 2020, 10:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShyYoshiGuy

[Main PA Thread]

Soo... This is new for me, but I'm going to try transcribing the G&WG themes by splitting up the channels in VBA (VisualBoyAdvance). 2, 3 & 4 are easy since they have music rooms. However, 1 does not have one. (Haha.) Luckily, I found a workaround. Entering the Game Genie code [ID]0-58A-F74 will have the corresponding songs play when opening the Mode Select screen and using these ID values:

IDs (For example, 270-58A-F74 is Manhole)
Manhole = 27
Octopus = 32
Oil Panic = 41
Title = 52
Game Select = 56
Congratulations = 5A
Game Corner 4 = 7D
Game Corner 3 = 8B
Game Corner 1 = 90
Game Corner 2 = 94
Credits = 9C, A0, & A4 (the intro, loop, and ending have three separate IDs)

Fire appeared in the 10-14 range, but I wasn't able to find one not interrupted by sound effects. Oh well.
[close]

Anyways, I've only done one so far (and it's not even complete). The goal of these is to show all four channels, including the percussion channel. Once I get the percussion channel going, I'd really like feedback on how to make that better since I've never really touched it much before.

(2) Chef - [MSCZ] [YouTube]
(3) Mario Bros.
(1) Oil Panic
(2) Ball

(Note: These tempos are based on the tempos my emulator outputs. I've verified that the real Game Boy tempos and emulator tempos are not identifical. However, I don't care, so take that.)

Red- To-do list
Orange- Work-in-progress
Green- Three main channels completed
Blue- All four channels completed
Purple
There are some of these where I know I won't be able to make a good arrangement of it. If anyone is interested in turning a purple transcription into a piano arrangement, you 100% have permission to do so. (I'd like an "& ShyYoshiGuy" on the sheet.) However, I recognize that probably no one will ever take me up on that and that's fine. Just rather leave the option open if anyone ever feels so inclined.
[close]

To close this off, I'll explain how I figured out the sound channels. [VBA] gives you the option of listening to individual channels while playing:
These keybinds aren't default.
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
After that, I used [WASAPI] to relay the game audio in Audacity in order to record it.

Sorry, but nowhere on the Internet seems to explain any of this, so I thought I'd write all this here so it'd exist somewhere
"Don't be nervous, be of service."
   - Jacob Howard
On-site arrangements

Guguuh!