Series: Kirby
Game: Kirby's Dream Course
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: King Dedede
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

If this music rip's quality isn't clear enough, I can go find another one. Just say the word.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

This one is really quite frenetic isn't it.  Nice sheet, looks very accurate.  Most of my concerns are about accidentals, which you'll probably not be surprised by.

-Bars 2-3 (6-7) are basically just riffing on a D7 chord, (4-5 and 8 are the same but for an Eb7 chord) so I think the accidentals should reflect that.  In other words, I'd recommend changing the Gbs to F#s and the Abb to a Gn in 2-3/6-7 and changing C#s to Dbs in 4-5/8 (left hand as well!).  Here's a picture with bar 2 changed:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
-Honestly trying to hear what the weird synth is doing in 4-5 is pretty difficult for me, but your notes sound a bit out of place/off to me.  Here's a picture with the best that I can make out for it (the repeated notes aren't really necessary at the end but they're what I can hear):
Spoiler
[close]
-Speaking of repeated notes, the repeated double tap left hand notes in 10-12 are really killer on the left hand.  Might you consider making it a little easier by changing it to something like this?
Spoiler
[close]
I think it'd be a lot easier to pull off and it sounds pretty much identical.
-The chord in 9 is an F#7 (without the fifth) so I think the Bbs should be A#s.
-The first chord change in 13 is Eb7 -> Ab (a V-> I kind of deal) and so I think the G# chord should be written as Ab, despite it going on to resolve up to A7.
-Again, it's really hard to hear the weird synth line in 10-11, but I'm getting something closer to this:
Spoiler
[close]
-OK, key signature.  My gut instinct is two sharps (D major) because the loop has this A -> D(7) thing.  However, I think that maybe one sharp (G major) could also work, what with all of the D7 chords and the fact that it does actually go to G for bars 10-11.  I don't really see how 1 flat works since the piece doesn't really spend any time with Dm or F chords.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on April 10, 2021, 08:49:59 AM-Bars 2-3 (6-7) are basically just riffing on a D7 chord, (4-5 and 8 are the same but for an Eb7 chord) so I think the accidentals should reflect that.  In other words, I'd recommend changing the Gbs to F#s and the Abb to a Gn in 2-3/6-7 and changing C#s to Dbs in 4-5/8 (left hand as well!).  Here's a picture with bar 2 changed:
Spoiler
[close]

That actually looks a lot better.

Quote from: Libera on April 10, 2021, 08:49:59 AM-Honestly trying to hear what the weird synth is doing in 4-5 is pretty difficult for me, but your notes sound a bit out of place/off to me.  Here's a picture with the best that I can make out for it (the repeated notes aren't really necessary at the end but they're what I can hear):
Spoiler
[close]

I listened to the .spc file so I could listen to both of the channels separately, and chose one. But unless someone would like me to bring up that recording, I'll change it to what you have.

Quote from: Libera on April 10, 2021, 08:49:59 AM-Speaking of repeated notes, the repeated double tap left hand notes in 10-12 are really killer on the left hand.  Might you consider making it a little easier by changing it to something like this?
Spoiler
[close]
I think it'd be a lot easier to pull off and it sounds pretty much identical.

Great idea, I'll do that.

Quote from: Libera on April 10, 2021, 08:49:59 AM-The chord in 9 is an F#7 (without the fifth) so I think the Bbs should be A#s.

Noted.

Quote from: Libera on April 10, 2021, 08:49:59 AM-The first chord change in 13 is Eb7 -> Ab (a V-> I kind of deal) and so I think the G# chord should be written as Ab, despite it going on to resolve up to A7.

Makes sense to me

Quote from: Libera on April 10, 2021, 08:49:59 AM-Again, it's really hard to hear the weird synth line in 10-11, but I'm getting something closer to this:
Spoiler
[close]

What I had originally was to represent both halves of each dyad, and to make playing it easier, but this works better. I'll change it to that.

All of these changes have been made, except one. Right now, I'm trying to choose between one and two sharps, but I need a good way to change the key signature without majoring screwing up the other accidentals across the sheet. Any ideas from the Finale-savvy folks around here?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 02, 2021, 10:27:59 AMI need a good way to change the key signature without majoring screwing up the other accidentals across the sheet. Any ideas from the Finale-savvy folks around here?
You can select this option in the key signature change dialog to avoid altering any of the spellings.

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on May 02, 2021, 04:21:20 PMYou can select this option in the key signature change dialog to avoid altering any of the spellings.

Ah, okay. I was setting it to "enharmonically". In that case, I'm going keyless.

Fixed.

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 02, 2021, 04:47:56 PMAh, okay. I was setting it to "enharmonically". In that case, I'm going keyless.
^just chatted with Levi on the above and I think keyless might be better than one or two sharps here since there's quite a few changes that take the music pretty far away from both D and G, and there's enough stuff like chromatic figures and tritones going on that make me think that a key signature wouldn't really help much when reading either.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on May 02, 2021, 04:53:35 PM^just chatted with Levi on the above and I think keyless might be better than one or two sharps here since there's quite a few changes that take the music pretty far away from both D and G, and there's enough stuff like chromatic figures and tritones going on that make me think that a key signature wouldn't really help much when reading either.

Hmm, I disagree with this.  The first 8 bars have a very tonal progression of alternating D7 and Eb7 with Eb7 acting like a flat 2 sort of deal.  Bar 9 is just a chromatic progression to land on the dominant before moving around a bit to build back up to A7 -> D7 we get from the very first bars 1 -> 2.  Sure it, moves around a lot, but it's not arbitrary at all which is sort of what keyless suggests.

Other thing: I did mention this but there was a lot so no worries, but I think the C#s in bars 4-5 etc should be Dbs (in the left hand).  This way it matches bars 2-3 etc.

Other x2 thing: the dynamics on the small noteheads are currently small due to being attached to small notes.  You can fix this in the expression assignment.  Here's a picture:
Spoiler
[close]

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on May 02, 2021, 05:06:46 PMHmm, I disagree with this.  The first 8 bars have a very tonal progression of alternating D7 and Eb7 with Eb7 acting like a flat 2 sort of deal.  Bar 9 is just a chromatic progression to land on the dominant before moving around a bit to build back up to A7 -> D7 we get from the very first bars 1 -> 2.  Sure it, moves around a lot, but it's not arbitrary at all which is sort of what keyless suggests.
I don't mean to imply that there's no tonal center, just that I don't know how much a key signature would help the reader in a practical sense, given almost every measure ventures pretty far away from one or two sharps. There'd be a lot of cancellation of sharps in the key signature (like measure 2 which uses Gb and Fn instead of F#) and other places where the sharps are just a byproduct of how the figure is written rather than being part of the key signature (like the F# in m. 4 RH). D is fine as a tonal center but I feel like it'd be easier to read without a key signature.

Just my two cents, though - will leave it up to you guys.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Okey, I switched it to D major and addressed Libera's additional feedback.

Libera

Latios212

Don't think I have anything more to add; checked the notes and gave the accidentals a skim and things check out. Accepting now! :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot