News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[GBA] Mother 3 - "Beyond the Sunshine Forest" by Maelstrom

Started by Zeta, April 10, 2021, 07:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: EarthBound
Game: Mother 3
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Beyond the Sunshine Forest
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Maelstrom

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maelstrom

Libera

Cool piece, generally looks great.  Some small things:

-I think it might make more sense to write the metric modulation in quavers instead since 6/8 doesn't relate so well to them.
-I'd recommend either changing the C#s and Bn to Db and Cb OR the Fn to an E# in the final bar, since that way it would be spelt like a 7 chord like the rest are.  The other possibility is to view this final chord a little differently and think of it like G7flat5 without the G, and then spell it Db F Bn.  An argument in favour of this would be that it's functioning as a dominant for the loop back to Cm.  Something to think about anyway.
-Dots + staccatos make me sad, did you consider writing them as normal quavers with semiquaver rests?
-I can see the reasoning for writing it the way you have it, but you might want to also consider writing the RH in 19-23 to prioritise the cool double chromatic descension thing that's going on, rather than mirroring the bass.  Just another thought.

Static

Quote from: Libera on April 10, 2021, 07:32:02 AM-I'd recommend either changing the C#s and Bn to Db and Cb OR the Fn to an E# in the final bar, since that way it would be spelt like a 7 chord like the rest are.  The other possibility is to view this final chord a little differently and think of it like G7flat5 without the G, and then spell it Db F Bn.  An argument in favour of this would be that it's functioning as a dominant for the loop back to Cm.  Something to think about anyway.
I would normally agree with that spelling, but m19-23 is a cycle of 4ths sequence of parallel dominant 7th chords - it should be written as a Db7 (Db-F-Cb-Db) rather than the G7b5. Probably would work either way though I guess
Ignore what I said mael and just spell it Db-F-Bn, it's a tritone sub so it's easier to just spell it to show the resolutions (Db to C, B to C, F to Eb, Ab to G)

This is what I'm hearing for these chords:
Spoiler

The progression is A7b5 (no 3rd), D7, Gm7, C7, F7, Bb7, Eb7, Ab7, Db7. There's actually only 3 notes in each of the chords, and the bass note should be up an octave.
[close]

Maelstrom

used static's suggestion for the final measures.

the rest fixed and files were udpated

Static

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot