News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[PSP] Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon - "Easter Ruins" by Code_Name_Geek

Started by Zeta, May 10, 2021, 03:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons
Game: Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon
Console: PlayStation Portable
Title: Easter Ruins
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Code_Name_Geek

[attachment deleted by admin]

Code_Name_Geek

One issue I'm having with this is that the roll at the beginning of the second page isn't working in playback. If anyone knows how to fix this, help would be appreciated!

Zeila

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on May 10, 2021, 03:26:34 PMOne issue I'm having with this is that the roll at the beginning of the second page isn't working in playback. If anyone knows how to fix this, help would be appreciated!
This is way more trouble than what it's worth imo, since I don't think Finale is capable of extending arpeggio markings throughout multiple layers or staves. What you could do is write out the entire chord you want to be arpeggiated in one layer, and then change the noteheads of all of the notes you wish to be represented in other existing layers (or cross-staff if that works better depending on the situation). If you're going to "hide" notes, then you also have to assign a dynamic specific to the layer the visible notes are on so that they wouldn't play (this requires each staff/layer as part of the mixed arpeggio to have their own channel). Maybe it is possible for articulations to make a note have zero velocity, but I haven't had any success with that. To clarify, here's a step-by-step process using your sheet as an example:
  • Add a C whole note to the 1st layer chord
  • Change the notehead of the C to some empty box (from special tools -> note shape tool)
  • Use the note position tool to move the C from the 2nd layer to align with the actual chord
  • Go to Score Manager and extend Staff 1, then make layer 1 and 2 have different channels
  • Make some new dynamic that equates to zero, and place it on the layer 2 C (while making sure that you do Expression->Favor Attachment to Active Layer)
  • Put in the actual dynamic you want (mp) on the next note of layer 2 (E)
  • After all of this, now you have to make sure that you always assign dynamics to both layers when you want to change them. Also the pedal markings only work for the channel they're on, so if you have RH->layer 1 and LH as channel 1, but RH->layer 2 as channel 2, then layer 2 will not have any sustain
This is one of the things MuseScore beats Finale in by a longshot...

Anyways... nice work! Some things from me:
  • m12/14/16 RH beat 3 the second layer note positions are misaligned with the first layer, so just use the note mover tool and press delete on any selected note to restore them to their default positions, or you could delete/re-enter notes too (idk if there's a way to do the whole sheet like that)
  • m14/22 RH beat 2 sounds like C instead of Eb
  • m14/18 RH the lower harmony on beats 3 and 4 (F and Eb respectively) sound like Eb and C to me instead; for measure 18 though, I think it would be better if only beat 3 were changed
  • m22 RH here the pattern from 14/18 changes and there's another instrument that goes C-F-G starting from beat 2, which aligns with what you have already, so you can keep beats 3 and 4 as the same
  • m24 RH the last note sounds like G instead of F
  • m26/28/30 you could consider separating the harp line to another layer like before, because it looks a little jumbled as of now; something like this could work, or you could flip more of the RH layer 1 notes up:
    You cannot view this attachment.
  • m27 RH beats 1.5, 3, and 4.5 sound like D instead of Eb
  • m29 RH I think the top whole note should be tied to beat 1 of m30. for m26/28, the separation/attack is clearer, and this one sounds continuous
  • m31 RH beat 4 eighth note sounds like Bn instead of C

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Zeila on May 23, 2021, 09:45:56 PMThis is way more trouble than what it's worth imo, since I don't think Finale is capable of extending arpeggio markings throughout multiple layers or staves. What you could do is write out the entire chord you want to be arpeggiated in one layer, and then change the noteheads of all of the notes you wish to be represented in other existing layers (or cross-staff if that works better depending on the situation). If you're going to "hide" notes, then you also have to assign a dynamic specific to the layer the visible notes are on so that they wouldn't play (this requires each staff/layer as part of the mixed arpeggio to have their own channel). Maybe it is possible for articulations to make a note have zero velocity, but I haven't had any success with that. To clarify, here's a step-by-step process using your sheet as an example:
    Thank you for the detailed steps here! The thing is, the arpeggio marking isn't playing back at all no matter what layer I put it in. The three notes in layer 1 don't even sound arpeggiated as is, and even when I put a C in the first layer like you suggested there's still no audible arpeggiation happening (on my end at least, is it working for anyone else?).

Quote from: Zeila on May 23, 2021, 09:45:56 PM
    • m14/22 RH beat 2 sounds like C instead of Eb
    • m14/18 RH the lower harmony on beats 3 and 4 (F and Eb respectively) sound like Eb and C to me instead; for measure 18 though, I think it would be better if only beat 3 were changed
    • m22 RH here the pattern from 14/18 changes and there's another instrument that goes C-F-G starting from beat 2, which aligns with what you have already, so you can keep beats 3 and 4 as the same
    • m24 RH the last note sounds like G instead of F
    These edits all sound right to me, also done.

Quote from: Zeila on May 23, 2021, 09:45:56 PM
    • m26/28/30 you could consider separating the harp line to another layer like before, because it looks a little jumbled as of now; something like this could work, or you could flip more of the RH layer 1 notes up:
    This is one of those spots where I come back to it later and think "what was I even thinking when I wrote this?" lol. I did what you suggested and also reworked a couple little things while I was at it. Hopefully it should be clearer now!

Quote from: Zeila link=topic=11760.msg424408#msg424408 date=1621831556
    list][li]m27 RH beats 1.5, 3, and 4.5 sound like D instead of Eb[/li]
    [li]m29 RH I think the top whole note should be tied to beat 1 of m30. for m26/28, the separation/attack is clearer, and this one sounds continuous[/li]
    [li]m31 RH beat 4 eighth note sounds like Bn instead of C[/li][/list]
    Also got these done.

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback! And sorry for the long wait, post-graduation burnout hit kind of hard and I didn't even want to look at a notation program for a while. :P

Latios212

This looks good! A few small things:
    - Bass is off in a few places: m. 26 should have Bb on the bottom on beat 1, likewise with Ab in m. 28. Measure 30 should have Dn instead of Db.
    - Beat 3 misaligned in cross-staff layer in m. 30

Also, the roll marking in m. 17 seems to be working fine for me in playback...
    My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
    who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on August 10, 2021, 08:42:46 PMThis looks good! A few small things:
    - Bass is off in a few places: m. 26 should have Bb on the bottom on beat 1, likewise with Ab in m. 28. Measure 30 should have Dn instead of Db.
    - Beat 3 misaligned in cross-staff layer in m. 30
    Fixed both of these!

Quote from: Latios212 on August 10, 2021, 08:42:46 PMAlso, the roll marking in m. 17 seems to be working fine for me in playback...
    Funny story, it actually seems to be working for me now and I have no idea what caused or fixed the problem. Bit embarrassing lol but at least it works!

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
    who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
    [close]
    turtle

Libera

This is a nice piece.  My comments are pretty much confined to bars 25-32.

-I think the thirds in these left hand triads might be better omitted.  I'm not really sure I hear them in the original, but also I think it gives a kind of weird texture in places.  If you want to add more harmony in I think it would be better added to the right hand here. 
    -I see you're trying to write in the horn line here in the left hand, but it gets kind of obscured with the way you're mixing layer 1 with other stuff, especially when you miss out notes that the horn is playing (like the C on beat 3-4 of bar 26 or the Bb on beats 3-4 of bar 28).  For example, having the C and Ab on beats 3 and 4 of bar 25 obscures the Ab -> Bb -> C ascending horn line, since the lowest notes (probably the most audible) go Ab -> Bb -> Ab.  Maybe you could put other harmonies above the horn line or just omit them altogether to allow it to come through more clearly.
    -I might suggest unhiding the rest in bar 1.  The top layer here is, after all, a completely different line in the original.  It's not super important.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on September 04, 2021, 07:39:00 AMMy comments are pretty much confined to bars 25-32.

-I think the thirds in these left hand triads might be better omitted.  I'm not really sure I hear them in the original, but also I think it gives a kind of weird texture in places.  If you want to add more harmony in I think it would be better added to the right hand here. 
    -I see you're trying to write in the horn line here in the left hand, but it gets kind of obscured with the way you're mixing layer 1 with other stuff, especially when you miss out notes that the horn is playing (like the C on beat 3-4 of bar 26 or the Bb on beats 3-4 of bar 28).  For example, having the C and Ab on beats 3 and 4 of bar 25 obscures the Ab -> Bb -> C ascending horn line, since the lowest notes (probably the most audible) go Ab -> Bb -> Ab.  Maybe you could put other harmonies above the horn line or just omit them altogether to allow it to come through more clearly.
    I definitely see what you're saying here. I reworked a lot of things here, mainly dropping the bass notes where appropriate to let the horn part come through (which sounds fine to me since those notes were pretty quiet in the original and provided rhythm more than pitches). Hopefully this sounds better texture-wise? I also did some significant playtesting and changed how I divided the top line between the hands, so I think the playability should be better as well.

Quote from: Libera on September 04, 2021, 07:39:00 AM-I might suggest unhiding the rest in bar 1.  The top layer here is, after all, a completely different line in the original.  It's not super important.
    Makes sense, done!

Quote from: Libera on September 04, 2021, 07:39:00 AMThis is nice piece.
    It is, isn't it? Thanks for taking a look!

Edit: Oops, I forgot to mention that I had to manually align the LH seconds on beat 3 in m. 26 and 28, and I wasn't positive what the "right" way to do that here was. Do they look alright the way I did it?

Libera

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on September 04, 2021, 01:44:12 PMI definitely see what you're saying here. I reworked a lot of things here, mainly dropping the bass notes where appropriate to let the horn part come through (which sounds fine to me since those notes were pretty quiet in the original and provided rhythm more than pitches). Hopefully this sounds better texture-wise? I also did some significant playtesting and changed how I divided the top line between the hands, so I think the playability should be better as well.

...The difference is honestly night and day.  This sounds magical now and is even better than I was envisioning.

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on September 04, 2021, 01:44:12 PMEdit: Oops, I forgot to mention that I had to manually align the LH seconds on beat 3 in m. 26 and 28, and I wasn't positive what the "right" way to do that here was. Do they look alright the way I did it?

I think you want to align these so that the lower layer lines up with the top layer in the RH (i.e. the middle of notes line up).  At the moment the notes now bunch up towards the following beat, which we probably want to avoid.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on September 04, 2021, 03:42:13 PM...The difference is honestly night and day.  This sounds magical now and is even better than I was envisioning.
    Agreed, I think it sounds a lot better this way (and is easier to play!). Thanks for the suggestion to rethink it!

Quote from: Libera on September 04, 2021, 03:42:13 PMI think you want to align these so that the lower layer lines up with the top layer in the RH (i.e. the middle of notes line up).  At the moment the notes now bunch up towards the following beat, which we probably want to avoid.
    How's that?

And one last change from me - I had accidentally put the developer (ArtePiazza) in the copyright info instead of the publisher (Marvelous Interactive), so that's also been fixed.

Libera

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on September 07, 2021, 07:20:16 PMHow's that?

I think what I said may have been confusing.  Here's a picture:
    Spoiler
    [close]
    I think that is what we want to achieve here.

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on September 07, 2021, 07:20:16 PMAnd one last change from me - I had accidentally put the developer (ArtePiazza) in the copyright info instead of the publisher (Marvelous Interactive), so that's also been fixed.

We should put both the developer and the publisher in the copyright information.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Libera on September 12, 2021, 05:10:19 PMI think what I said may have been confusing.  Here's a picture:
    Spoiler
    [close]
    I think that is what we want to achieve here.
    Ohhhh gotcha! I think I got it this time.

Quote from: Libera on September 12, 2021, 05:10:19 PMWe should put both the developer and the publisher in the copyright information.
    Oh oops, I couldn't remember and then the formatting guidelines only said publisher so I went with that. Both are there now and I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Libera

Zeta