News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - "Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla" (Replacement) by Latios212

Started by Zeta, May 26, 2021, 04:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Console: Wii
Title: Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeila

This is a nice clean sheet :3
  • m7/11 quarter note sounds like an eighth + eighth rest
  • m16/18 you could put E's and Bb's here to imitate the snare hits since it sounds a little empty
  • m19-26 it sounds like it crescendos throughout the buildup, and I think it would be nice to incorporate that into your sheet too (e.g. you could start m19 at mf and do a four-measure crescendo starting from m23 to f on m27, or you could keep m19 at mp and do a crescendo up to m23 as well)
  • m30 LH beat 4 maybe you could change this to G to reflect the timpani hit
  • last measure RH beat 3 it sounds like the high strings go up to F# at the end, so you could consider centering the octave around F# instead of B

Static

In addition to the above:
  • m1 RH beat 1 should be G# on the bottom instead of B.
  • m1 RH beat 4 should have an A in the chord (though in the original it's an octave higher in the flute).
  • I kinda agree with the quarter notes in m7 and 11, but a tenuto 8th would work also. It definitely sounds longer than the staccato 8ths.
  • Is there a reason why m8/12/14 RH beats 3-4 aren't beamed? It's all part of the same voice there.
  • You might also want to break the beam across beats 1-2 of m9/13 RH to match the 2nd page.
  • m14 RH beat 4 should be B instead of C.
  • I like how m27/29/31 sound in the context of the arrangement, but I don't think they line up well with the original. The snare drum does play on those beats, but it's not very accented. The only low hit in those measures is the timpani on beat 1, while the low brass is playing with the upper brass/woodwinds. I feel like the RH chords lose some of their punch without the lower voices present.
  • m32 RH beat 1.5 should be staccato.

Cool sheet, nice to see a replacement for this one

Latios212

Thank you Zeila and Static for your feedback!

Quote from: Zeila on May 27, 2021, 12:24:24 AMm7/11 quarter note sounds like an eighth + eighth rest
Quote from: Static on May 31, 2021, 12:46:49 PMI kinda agree with the quarter notes in m7 and 11, but a tenuto 8th would work also. It definitely sounds longer than the staccato 8ths.
Changed them to tenuto 8ths

Quote from: Zeila on May 27, 2021, 12:24:24 AMm16/18 you could put E's and Bb's here to imitate the snare hits since it sounds a little empty
Sounds good; I also added hits on m. 15/17 beat 1 to fill in space that would sound comparatively awkward without the extra hits

Quote from: Zeila on May 27, 2021, 12:24:24 AMm19-26 it sounds like it crescendos throughout the buildup, and I think it would be nice to incorporate that into your sheet too (e.g. you could start m19 at mf and do a four-measure crescendo starting from m23 to f on m27, or you could keep m19 at mp and do a crescendo up to m23 as well)
Yup, makes sense. I changed m. 15 to p and 19 to mp, 23 to mf, with cresc. text in m. 19 and 23 (didn't want the hairpins stretched across the entire system)

Quote from: Zeila on May 27, 2021, 12:24:24 AMm30 LH beat 4 maybe you could change this to G to reflect the timpani hit
Do you mean beat 4.5? I hear a G pickup to the C in the next measure so I wrote it on beat 4.5.

Quote from: Zeila on May 27, 2021, 12:24:24 AMlast measure RH beat 3 it sounds like the high strings go up to F# at the end, so you could consider centering the octave around F# instead of B
I've always heard these as the same chord, maybe just with different parts emphasized - I'd like to keep it as is.

Quote from: Static on May 31, 2021, 12:46:49 PMIn addition to the above:
  • m1 RH beat 1 should be G# on the bottom instead of B.
  • m1 RH beat 4 should have an A in the chord (though in the original it's an octave higher in the flute).
  • Is there a reason why m8/12/14 RH beats 3-4 aren't beamed? It's all part of the same voice there.
  • m14 RH beat 4 should be B instead of C.
  • m32 RH beat 1.5 should be staccato.
Got these

Quote from: Static on May 31, 2021, 12:46:49 PMm1 RH beat 4 should have an A in the chord (though in the original it's an octave higher in the flute).
Did you mean m. 2 beat 1? Added it there

Quote from: Static on May 31, 2021, 12:46:49 PMYou might also want to break the beam across beats 1-2 of m9/13 RH to match the 2nd page.[/li][/list]
I specifically wanted to keep them like that here since they're part of a separate voice than on beat 1 and I wanted to avoid unbeamed notes being mistaken for a different voice (same as m. 15).

Quote from: Static on May 31, 2021, 12:46:49 PMI like how m27/29/31 sound in the context of the arrangement, but I don't think they line up well with the original. The snare drum does play on those beats, but it's not very accented. The only low hit in those measures is the timpani on beat 1, while the low brass is playing with the upper brass/woodwinds. I feel like the RH chords lose some of their punch without the lower voices present.
Here I wanted to make sure that the constant eighth note rhythm from the percussion was maintained, so I filled in beats 2.5/4 even though they're not accented. I can add accents to the beat 1 hits though to differentiate them from the others. Not sure what you think we can do about that last sentence though?

Files updated, thanks again!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on June 09, 2021, 04:41:03 PMHere I wanted to make sure that the constant eighth note rhythm from the percussion was maintained, so I filled in beats 2.5/4 even though they're not accented. I can add accents to the beat 1 hits though to differentiate them from the others. Not sure what you think we can do about that last sentence though?
I completely get that reasoning since the percussion is important too, but idk it just sounds weird to me without the low brass playing with the RH chords... Although having constant LH 8ths doesn't sound great either. I guess it's OK as it is, so I'll approve

mastersuperfan

- m1 - That forte could definitely fit on beat 1, especially if you widened the space between the staves a little bit. I don't like moving dynamics to the side unless it's really necessary. (In this case I don't think it's necessary for the forte to align with the mp in m3.)
- I feel like the chord in m2 has one too many D's and it doesn't sound great to me. What about removing the lower D in the RH?
- m1o RH beat 4.5 - natural is colliding with the sharp, move the natural left a bit?
- m11 RH beat 4 - rest to center staff?
- m15 - maybe move the piano a bit to the right? Right now it looks like it's between the eighth notes in the LH which looks a bit confusing.
- m16/18 LH beams over rests but the rest of the sheet doesn't.
- Courtesy natural on the D in m18 RH?
- I think the Gb in m18 should be written as F# since it's a leading tone to G.
- You could widen the space between the staves in m23-26 if you wanted to make it extra clear that the "3" in m26 is for the RH and not the LH, but this is not ambiguous anyways so it's fine as is too.
- The mf in m23 is slightly above the cresc.

That's all I got! Notes check out.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Thanks, all changed! (For m. 10 I moved the sharp on the bottom slightly left instead of adjusting the natural on top)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Zeta