[GB] Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge - "Psycho Warrior (Rock Castle)" by Atcero

Started by Zeta, May 26, 2021, 04:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Castlevania
Game: Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Console: Game Boy
Title: Psycho Warrior (Rock Castle)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Atcero

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Atcero

Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Good job overall - clean and accurate :)

A few formatting things that I think you can do (potentially with Cacabish's tools) -
- D.C. should be bold
- Ending numbers should have dots (e.g. 1. 2.)
- Shouldn't be a double barline at the end of m. 30

Other things:
- There are a few places you have notes split up that are fine to write as dotted notes:
  - Dotted half in m. 10 and 14 beat 1 (a dotted half note on beat 1 is fine to pass through beat 3)
  - Dotted quarter in m. 21-23 and 32 beat 3 (dotted quarter on beat 3 is fine to pass through beat 4)
- Last two RH notes in m. 23 should go C-Bb instead of Bb-C
- LH should be Db instead of Gb in m. 32
- For the glissando in m. 8, be sure that the Eb it begins on isn't beamed to the previous group of notes. Also, the glissando should be notated as a way line instead of a straight one.
- For m. 8, either show the 5/4 time signature or split it up into a 4/4 measure and a 1/4 measure.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Atcero

All updated, thank you!
Minor things to note with formatting:
The endings still look wonky with the numbers but it doesnt look like I can edit those fully.
Replay isn't correct with the D.C. ending
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Latios212

Neato! I edited in the following:
- Giving the top system more space on each page
- Ending number positioning
- Correct repeat structure in playback on DC
- Changed notes in m. 24 (previously 23) to a dotted quarter like the previous two measures
- Changed 16th rests in the last measure to 8th rests

Approved :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Motion to change these two sheets' names back to how Atcero had them? Using "BGM" on the title of a sheet for a video game music site is already redundant enough, but directly quoting the original sound release is so... robotic...? I can appreciate the intent to stay "faithful" to the closest thing to the source material, but please, guys, let's be reasonable. No one names these songs this way, and I seriously doubt anyone ever will. Consistency between Castlevania series sheets, at least, should be a priority.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 22, 2021, 09:07:49 PMMotion to change these two sheets' names back to how Atcero had them? Using "BGM" on the title of a sheet for a video game music site is already redundant enough, but directly quoting the original sound release is so... robotic...? I can appreciate the intent to stay "faithful" to the closest thing to the source material, but please, guys, let's be reasonable. No one names these songs this way, and I seriously doubt anyone ever will. Consistency between Castlevania series sheets, at least, should be a priority.
Levi, you can state your point without coming across as condescending (which you are doing here).

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm fine with removing "BGM".
Quote from: Static on June 13, 2021, 01:04:52 PMSomething interesting to note: the two VGMdB albums with this OST (here and here) both have the title as "Ripe Seeds (Plant Castle BGM)". Personally, I would recommend changing it (and the current sheet on site could also be changed), but it's a very minor detail so keeping it is probably OK too... I'm just picky when it comes to these things. No big deal either way
If these are official albums that's fine but the titling conventions aren't... the most sensible. You have stuff like "Stage Map B (Stage Map B)" and "Game Over (Game Over)" which suggests that the parenthesized text is what the track is used for. I'm fine with having (Plant Castle) if that helps clarify what this track is but these listings don't seem to me like a clear reason to include the "BGM" in the title.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on June 22, 2021, 09:20:58 PMLevi, you can state your point without coming across as condescending (which you are doing here).

My apologies. While I feel very strongly about this, that's no reason for me to talk down to Static like I did.

Atcero

I'm fine with whatever on the naming convention either way. I'm just happy people take the time to help with my sheets and stuff. Whatever you guys decide to do, you got my approval lol

Spoiler
[close]

Atcero

Removed the BGM and cleaned it up as per discussion in thine discord.

Spoiler
[close]

Libera

This looks pretty good, just a few small things from me:

-I assume the RH margin still wants to be set to 0.5.  If I remember correctly this was one of the things that couldn't be fixed on import from musescore so I can fix this separately if needed.
-Eb seems like an odd choice to start the gliss on in bar 9.  I think En or C would fit better there since it's a V chord there (C major).
-You might want to make more use of the white space at the bottom of page 1 by spreading out the systems a bit more.
-There's a 2/4 bar of percussion after the final bar before it repeats back to start that should probably be written in, either just as a bar of rests or with the percussion cued in with x noteheads.

Atcero

Yes please for the margins.

For Eb, I believe that is the note it starts on. I had to slow it down to like 12% to hear it properly and I can double check it when I get home.

A 2/4 with rests would work for me! I will see if I can add a 2/4 measure on the end without destroying the formatting.

Thanks so much!

Spoiler
[close]

Libera

Quote from: Atcero on June 27, 2021, 08:09:13 AMFor Eb, I believe that is the note it starts on. I had to slow it down to like 12% to hear it properly and I can double check it when I get home.

Yes, that may be correct, but since this is really just an effect I don't think it's particularly important that the starting pitch is particularly correct.  I was saying that from the perspective of playing this on piano, I think it will make more sense starting on a C or an En.  If you really want to keep it as an Eb, a courtesy accidental might be appropriate.

I can get one or both of the other things afterwards.

Libera

After a lengthy discussion about this on discord, we agreed on changing to glissando to starting on a Dn and ending at the start of the following bar.  I've made this edit as well as the others that were mentioned.  I'll be accepting this now.