News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[Wii] Xenoblade Chronicles - "Valak Mountain" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, May 26, 2021, 04:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Xeno
Game: Xenoblade Chronicles
Console: Wii
Title: Valak Mountain
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Quite a lengthy piece in duration, but pretty repetitive. Overall really happy with how easy to play this one turned out :P

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

• m5-8 RH beat 1 has an E. Might be cool to include that minor 9th in there.
  • maybe use 4/8 instead of 1/4? The piece is so slow that I feel the tempo in 8ths more than in (dotted) quarters.
  • m36-37 and 60-61 LH sounds like it should have Es instead of Ds, or at least E is a pretty prominent note in the accompaniment (C9/G chord).
  • For m30-35 and 38-43 LH, you have a lot of room in between the current LH part and the RH melody to include some more mid-range tones (with a similar accompaniment pattern to the previous sections). It sounds fine as is though if you'd rather keep it.
  • m60-61 RH: The 2nd layer strings move with the melody, it's not just one held note.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on June 08, 2021, 10:17:14 PMm5-8 RH beat 1 has an E. Might be cool to include that minor 9th in there.
I think what you're hearing there is the voice I wrote in m. 4 which continues throughout the section. I don't think it meshes particularly well with the part that comes in at m. 5 though (both in terms of intervals it creates like the minor second, and rhythmically), so I left it out.

Quote from: Static on June 08, 2021, 10:17:14 PMmaybe use 4/8 instead of 1/4? The piece is so slow that I feel the tempo in 8ths more than in (dotted) quarters.
2/8? Yup that definitely makes more sense.

Quote from: Static on June 08, 2021, 10:17:14 PMm36-37 and 60-61 LH sounds like it should have Es instead of Ds, or at least E is a pretty prominent note in the accompaniment (C9/G chord).
Ah yeah it doesn't just resolve to Gm there. Updated the accompaniment part with what the original is doing an octave up, which actually matches the style of the rest of the accompaniment pretty well

Quote from: Static on June 08, 2021, 10:17:14 PMFor m30-35 and 38-43 LH, you have a lot of room in between the current LH part and the RH melody to include some more mid-range tones (with a similar accompaniment pattern to the previous sections). It sounds fine as is though if you'd rather keep it.
I think I'd like to keep it. Leaving it as just two lines gives it contrast to the last section where I've added more to both parts, and the left hand pattern is already naturally a bit more forceful than the previous sections as it's lower.

Quote from: Static on June 08, 2021, 10:17:14 PMm60-61 RH: The 2nd layer strings move with the melody, it's not just one held note.
Ooh yeah, I was distracted by the sustained G. I've written in the harmonies that I think are there planing upwards with the voice I originally wrote in.

Files updated! Thanks for checking! :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

For those things you didn't change, that makes sense to me, and the rest looks great. approved!

Maelstrom

Fantastic job with this, really like what you did here.

Why hide the rests in m29? You'd normally hide them if it's cross stave notation, but the dotted line indicates passing hands. I'd say it's fine as is, just wanted to ask about it since I did a double take at that measure.

Speak of m29, up to you, but I'd suggest adding a piano dynamic to that measure to emulate the volume difference between the surrounding measures in the original track.

Everything else looks great.

Latios212

Thank you!

Yeah, that makes sense. Unhid the rests and added a p dynamic there :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot