[DELETED] [Wii] Super Mario Galaxy - "Final Battle with Bowser" (Replacement) by XiaoMigros

Started by Zeta, May 27, 2021, 03:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Galaxy
Console: Wii
Title: Final Battle with Bowser
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

XiaoMigros

The official title (according to VGMdb) is "Final Battle with Bowser", so once the sheet gets accepted that should be fixed.
- I left out the synthy part in m7 and similar, not only would it barely be playable at the given speed, but I couldn't make out what it was playing.
- In measures 37-40 the RH's 2nd layer has a few problems, I couldn't get the rests to move down or move the first note down to the L.H. Staff

Latios212

Thanks for submitting this one! Fixed the title :)

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 27, 2021, 04:03:14 AM- I left out the synthy part in m7 and similar, not only would it barely be playable at the given speed, but I couldn't make out what it was playing.
Definitely a place to take a couple liberties rather than trying to transcribe directly. What you have right now is very simple but doesn't quite match the original - the original track has the flourish throughout the entire measure 7, not just beat 4. You could also use a much wider D to D range than one octave if you want to keep it a glissando - just playing around real quick on my keyboard you could start on a D3 in m. 7 beat 1 and end on a D6 in m. 8 beat 1. Alternatively you could play with some D minor arpeggios, although that will naturally be more difficult to play.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 27, 2021, 04:03:14 AM- In measures 37-40 the RH's 2nd layer has a few problems, I couldn't get the rests to move down or move the first note down to the L.H. Staff
Using the Simple Entry tool, you should be able to select/highlight the rests by clicking on them and then user the arrow keys on the keyboard to adjust their height.

A few other random things as I skim (will return to check in-depth later) -
- First system is missing its indent :P
- There is a very big contrast between the heaviness of the intro and nimbleness of the bassline in m. 5, which I think could be clarified a bit through the use of dynamics. I'd personally use ff in m. 1 and mf in m. 5, but see what you like.
- The chord strikes on beat 1 of m. 9, 11, 13, etc. are very pronounced and should be marked as such. I'd suggest accent+staccato, or marcato.
- You might want to remove the tied-over D in the top layer of m. 26 to avoid it clashing with the lower layer (you can't hold that exact note since it's being restruck anyway).
- A few imported directions don't have the right font (R.H. in m. 2 and dim. in m. 45)... though off the top of my head I don't remember how to edit that text when it's part of a line/Smart Shape...
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

QuoteDefinitely a place to take a couple liberties rather than trying to transcribe directly.
Yeah, I'm working on trying to overcome that mental barrier when I create arrangements. Noted for the future :)
D3 to D5 works amazingly, so thanks for that!

QuoteUsing the Simple Entry tool, you should be able to select/highlight the rests by clicking on them and then user the arrow keys on the keyboard to adjust their height.
This way of doing things makes a lot more sense than the way it is in MuseScore actually

QuoteThere is a very big contrast between the heaviness of the intro and nimbleness of the bassline in m. 5, which I think could be clarified a bit through the use of dynamics.
That makes perfect sense, I opted for ff + mf like you recommended.

[/quote]The chord strikes on beat 1 of m. 9, 11, 13, etc. are very pronounced and should be marked as such. I'd suggest accent+staccato, or marcato.[/quote]
Accent+staccato seemed the most fitting.

QuoteA few imported directions don't have the right font (R.H. in m. 2 and dim. in m. 45)... though off the top of my head I don't remember how to edit that text when it's part of a line/Smart Shape...
I tried playing around with them a little, but unfortunately to no avail. If there isn't a simple way of doing so I might just replace the current markings I have.

I updated the files accordingly :)

Latios212

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 30, 2021, 05:41:27 AMI updated the files accordingly :)
Great! :D

Quote from: Latios212 on May 27, 2021, 05:15:38 PM- A few imported directions don't have the right font (R.H. in m. 2 and dim. in m. 45)... though off the top of my head I don't remember how to edit that text when it's part of a line/Smart Shape...
Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 30, 2021, 05:41:27 AMI tried playing around with them a little, but unfortunately to no avail. If there isn't a simple way of doing so I might just replace the current markings I have.
Unfortunately yeah I can't think of anything either. But, we may be able to get around this anyway because I have comments about these few things anyway...
- The "gliss." text on the glissandos isn't necessary, the way line is indication enough to play a glissando
- The last system sounds like it should be one sudden dynamic change past the last chord strike instead of a slow diminuendo across the entire system so I'd suggest just putting a mf in m. 45 instead. (That chord could also use an accent+staccato articulation.)
- I'm not too sure about the need for that RH marking in measure 2. Firstly, do you want pedal in the first four measures? I would suggest yes - in doing so you can make the powerful strikes ring out more. If you use pedal, you could simply have the RH play the C#/G# line and leave the left hand where it was to avoid any hand crossing.

Other stuff as I check the whole thing:
- Rests in m. 2 LH should be moved down (top layer to normal rest height, lower layer further below the staff)
- I'd suggest removing the courtesy accidentals in m. 13 and 21. They're playing the same chords as the other similar measure in their sections and happen to also be after a system break right next to the keysig, so I don't think those would be misread.
- Last LH note of m. 24 sounds like Eb (same one as on beat 3) rather than Bb
- Would suggest adding in an A to the chord in m. 25 to fill it out a bit more (Dsus4). Similar to above, I don't think the courtesy natural is really needed here.
- Lower layer beat 1 of m. 26 is misaligned (Special Tools > Note Position Tool > right click and Remove Manual Adjustments)
- You could remove the bottom A in the chord in m. 27-28 since the A is already present in the lower layer (if you do so, make sure that re-align that A in the lower layer)
- It's a bit tricky to hear, but I think m. 30-32 LH would be better in fifths rather than octaves, like the previous new measures?
- I think the second chord in m. 29 has a D instead of Eb in it
- The last octave in m. 40 LH sounds like Bb rather than Bn
- Dynamics in m. 33 and 41 could be nudged left a bit to be centered around the noteheads

The last thing I have to do is check the chords in m. 41-44 but I'm getting a bit tired... so I'll come back to that later
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

I'm currently not able to work on my subs due to coursework and personal issues, but some time in the future I'll hopefully be able to get them both up to scratch :)