Series: Animal Crossing
Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Outing (Waiting)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

Happy Summer!  Here's a very thematic piece for the occasion imo, and one of my favorites from New Horizons.  Short, sweet, and makes waiting for your friends to show up feel a little less slow

• Tried doubling bass notes (piano and string bass part), didn't like how it sounded or felt, but if others feel differently I can add in.  I hear a string bass note going D on m8 beat 2, so I put it on in addition to the A
  • also not sure about note length if just hearing reverb or actual note in the LH part with beat 4.5 of the rhythm at m1 (and reoccurring), I thought I determined correctly by listening to the pattern that starts at m21
  • m9 RH beat 4 didn't put F# because it is over the E
  • While I made some pitches of the main melody to match the length of the piano in the song, I also kept some ties in
  • I understand that there are some big reaches with the RH chords starting at m9.  I thought the rhythms sounded weird though without combining the piano chords and the organ (?) melody

• m15 and 16 don't hear C and D but I put them in to build out the chord formed by
    accompaniment
  • m21-22 I understand doesn't look the greatest, but I thought this was allowed in piano writing lol.  I didn't think it felt bad on piano though the guitar pitches definitely won't have the midi playback length

• I put mp at the bottom of m21 to indicate the bass part decreases in volume, if that's not the spot to put it I can just put it where
    dynamics normally go.

mastersuperfan

- For m2/6/etc., quarter rests shouldn't be used on beat 1.5 (it's okay for notes, but not for rests). Although actually, I think it would be more appropriate to write m2/6/etc. LH beat 1 as a quarter note or even a dotted quarter, since it's held for a while.
- I'd personally suggest not including the low D in m8 since the LH is just a single voice everywhere else, and including an extra note there sounds a bit inconsistent. (For that matter, I also hear a C instead of a D.)
- I don't think there's an A on m8/24 beat 4 in the piano part. I would personally leave it out, but keeping it is also fine.
- In m15-16, I think it's a bit weird for the RH to have more staccatos than the LH even though they both have the same rhythm. It requires the performer to play the same rhythm differently with each hand. Maybe consider adding staccatos in the LH where the RH also has them.
- m20 RH beat 4 is a reach—maybe remove the lowest note?
- In m21, you don't need to show the RH dynamic since it's already mf. You might also consider making the LH dynamic "subito mp" since the change is pretty sudden in the original.

Yeah, I think that's all I've got. Really nice work!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 23, 2021, 09:08:46 AM- For m2/6/etc., quarter rests shouldn't be used on beat 1.5 (it's okay for notes, but not for rests). Although actually, I think it would be more appropriate to write m2/6/etc. LH beat 1 as a quarter note or even a dotted quarter, since it's held for a while.

Yeah I went back and forth on this a lot when first writing out trying to see if it was just reverb I was hearing. Made it dotted quarter

Quote- I'd personally suggest not including the low D in m8 since the LH is just a single voice everywhere else, and including an extra note there sounds a bit inconsistent. (For that matter, I also hear a C instead of a D.)

Removed

Quote- I don't think there's an A on m8/24 beat 4 in the piano part. I would personally leave it out, but keeping it is also fine.

I think I was trying to fill out the chord, but I have removed.  It doesn't sound that good imo haha

Quote- In m15-16, I think it's a bit weird for the RH to have more staccatos than the LH even though they both have the same rhythm. It requires the performer to play the same rhythm differently with each hand. Maybe consider adding staccatos in the LH where the RH also has them.

Fixed

Quote- m20 RH beat 4 is a reach—maybe remove the lowest note?

removed

Quote- In m21, you don't need to show the RH dynamic since it's already mf. You might also consider making the LH dynamic "subito mp" since the change is pretty sudden in the original.

Added this, hope that's the right spot (position default in finale)

QuoteYeah, I think that's all I've got. Really nice work!

Thanks!

mastersuperfan

Two small things:
- I think the C# at the end of m20 might be better written as a Db, since it's a descending chromatic scale.
- Could you move the "subito mp" a bit more to the right so that the mp is centered with beat 1?

Since those are quick fixes, I'll approve this one so that someone else can take a look.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 26, 2021, 09:10:32 PMTwo small things:
- I think the C# at the end of m20 might be better written as a Db, since it's a descending chromatic scale.
- Could you move the "subito mp" a bit more to the right so that the mp is centered with beat 1?

Since those are quick fixes, I'll approve this one so that someone else can take a look.

I have updated these  ;D

Latios212

Nice sheet, real clean! A few last comments:
- Static mentioned this track is supposed to be called "Outing (Waiting)" from here: https://vgmdb.net/album/109718
- I don't think you really need the accents on the downbeat of every other measure in the LH, but I suppose it's fine to keep if you want
- Sharps should be flats in the LH of m. 15-16 (Bb13 chord)
- I feel like the dynamic change in m. 21 is very subtle in the original and not very necessary in a piano arrangement, since it's the same accompaniment as everywhere else. Thoughts about removing it?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on July 27, 2021, 04:58:21 PMNice sheet, real clean! A few last comments:
- Static mentioned this track is supposed to be called "Outing (Waiting)" from here: https://vgmdb.net/album/109718

Got it, fixed title

Quote- I don't think you really need the accents on the downbeat of every other measure in the LH, but I suppose it's fine to keep if you want

I've removed, it sounded like there's an emphasis on those beats but I was wondering if it was unnecessary.

Quote- Sharps should be flats in the LH of m. 15-16 (Bb13 chord)

Fixed

Quote- I feel like the dynamic change in m. 21 is very subtle in the original and not very necessary in a piano arrangement, since it's the same accompaniment as everywhere else. Thoughts about removing it?

Removed.  I agree it's too subtle to really be necessary

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta